SONY a7 III a73 OVERHEATING issue

Started Mar 21, 2018 | Discussions
bogdiNES New Member • Posts: 13
SONY a7 III a73 OVERHEATING issue

After using the Sony a7 III for half an hour taking a few dozen pictures (no videos) I've noticed the camera was a little bit too warm to the touch, so I decided to test the thermals of the camera by recording 4K video and monitor for overheating.
The overheating warning sign appears after approximately 12 minutes of recording 4K video and after 19 minutes and 55 seconds of recording, the camera shuts down because of overheating (minute 07:30 in the video).
I didn't heard anyoane having overheating problems with this camera until now, so I don't think this is widespread, this is just my experience with the camera.

Maybe others who have this camera want to test it for overheating in 4K video mode to see if this is a problem with the camera or just with my copy.

The room temperature was 23 °C / 73 °F
Auto Pwr OFF Temp. was set to Standard
For the test I was using full-frame recording 4K video 25P 100mbps

Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Blanche Bovine Contributing Member • Posts: 505
Re: SONY a7 III a73 OVERHEATING issue

bogdiNES wrote:

After using the Sony a7 III for half an hour taking a few dozen pictures (no videos) I've noticed the camera was a little bit too warm to the touch, so I decided to test the thermals of the camera by recording 4K video and monitor for overheating.
The overheating warning sign appears after approximately 12 minutes of recording 4K video and after 19 minutes and 55 seconds of recording, the camera shuts down because of overheating (minute 07:30 in the video).
I didn't heard anyoane having overheating problems with this camera until now, so I don't think this is widespread, this is just my experience with the camera.

Maybe others who have this camera want to test it for overheating in 4K video mode to see if this is a problem with the camera or just with my copy.

You could have cut out over 7 minutes of video and just showed the beginning and end.  When I realized after a few seconds there was no sound, I skipped to the end.

I do have the A7riii and haven't heard anything about it overheating, but I usually don't take video for more than a few minutes at a time so for me it should be a non issue.

Blanche Bovine's gear list:Blanche Bovine's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +3 more
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,250

I abandoned Sony mirrorless cameras a long time ago due to their overheating issues while shooting video.

No overheating issues with Panasonic MFT cameras though.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

bogdiNES wrote:

this should be in the sony ff mirrorless forum.

it's typical for sony to release a milc with overly conservative heat warnings and behavior, then change the trigger points later in a firmware release.

for example, with the a9: https://www.dpreview.com/news/4228347869/new-sony-alpha-a9-firmware-fixes-overheating-warning

-- hide signature --

dan

OP bogdiNES New Member • Posts: 13

Blanche Bovine wrote:

bogdiNES wrote:

You could have cut out over 7 minutes of video and just showed the beginning and end. When I realized after a few seconds there was no sound, I skipped to the end.

I do have the A7riii and haven't heard anything about it overheating, but I usually don't take video for more than a few minutes at a time so for me it should be a non issue.

I could have cut out some parts from the video, but I wanted to show the whole video, so there's no reason to doubt it.

Everyone has different needs. This doesn't change the fact that this camera shouldn't have any overheating problems, but I think this is an isolated case.

chrisno Contributing Member • Posts: 925

any dimming of screen after 13 mins? about 20 mins thats really fine for me

thats why i wonder how they can make one 4k60fps without overheating issues in A7sIII or A7RIV etc

digiborg
digiborg New Member • Posts: 1

just made a 30 minute video 4k 30p. No overheating problem. No warning. room temperature 21 °. Active autofocus with face detection.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,434

Jealous of you guys who have received your bodies already... for whatever reason they aren't shipping them until April 10th in the US.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
IamJF Contributing Member • Posts: 698

Now recording, 4k 25p, 22°C. Display away from body, as in your video. Body just laying on a table.

10min: Body only slightly warm, hard to notice

20min: temperature behind display 36°C, the rest stays cool.

30min: temperature behind display 38°C, no sign of overheating.

Would suggest you send/bring back your camera - that's not normal for sure!

Edit: btw, I also had Auto PWR off at low, no problem at room temperature.

IamJF's gear list:IamJF's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
IamJF Contributing Member • Posts: 698

I would love to wait when I get it for a price close to yours

(I paied $2.830 - €2300,-)

IamJF's gear list:IamJF's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more

chrisno wrote:

thats why i wonder how they can make one 4k60fps without overheating issues in A7sIII or A7RIV etc

No screen dimming.

The problem is that even my a6300 in the same room temperature can record almost 45 minutes. This newer Sony cameras, from what I've read, should have solved the overheating problem or at least have a much improved recording time without overheating.

chrisno Contributing Member • Posts: 925

bogdiNES wrote:

chrisno wrote:

No screen dimming.

The problem is that even my a6300 in the same room temperature can record almost 45 minutes. This newer Sony cameras, from what I've read, should have solved the overheating problem or at least have a much improved recording time without overheating.

others seem fine though

try to do a few more tests to see if you got a bad copy

From the tests that others have made and from what I've heard from reviews, I am now convinced that I have a defective unit.

I contacted Sony support and now I am waiting for their response.

Ken Ross Senior Member • Posts: 1,037

If any owner of the A7iii is in possession of an HLG-capable TV, I'd appreciate it if you could check to see if the camera can output an HLG video to your TV via the A7iii's HDMI output.

Ken Ross's gear list:Ken Ross's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III
earlyadapter Regular Member • Posts: 122

Could you please keep us up-to-date on your progress with this?

Regards,

earlyadapter's gear list:earlyadapter's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4

As soon as I have some news from Sony support, I will let everyone know.

toyanucci Forum Member • Posts: 92

bogdiNES wrote:

Why not return the camera to where you bought it for an exchange? Wouldn't they be much quicker?

toyanucci's gear list:toyanucci's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
OlHeath Regular Member • Posts: 211

Have had no overheating with the 73 (nor the 7r2, the 72, the 7r3, the a7, the a6300...)

OlHeath's gear list:OlHeath's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +7 more

toyanucci wrote:

bogdiNES wrote:

Why not return the camera to where you bought it for an exchange? Wouldn't they be much quicker?

I am from Romania and I bought the camera from Germany, so, if I return it for an exchange, I would have to pay for shipping both ways and even if I do this, no one seems to have the camera in stock now or in the near future.

Depending on the response I will receive from Sony support, I will decide what to do.

RubberDials Senior Member • Posts: 1,273
Sorry I don't believe you.

bogdiNES wrote:

After using the Sony a7 III for half an hour taking a few dozen pictures (no videos) I've noticed the camera was a little bit too warm to the touch,

Sorry, I don't believe you. The camera 'was a little bit warm to the touch' after shooting 24/36 pictures (a few dozen). Where was it warm?

so I decided to test the thermals of the camera by recording 4K video and monitor for overheating.

Why haven't you linked to the whole video 19 minute video then? What use is the last seven minutes?

If you're posting the video as proof you need to show the whole thing, from start to finish.

I didn't heard anyoane having overheating problems with this camera until now,

Yeah, no me neither. Here's a link to an A7III test by Max Yureyev, who has done a lot of overheating tests with Sony cameras shooting video. He couldn't get it to overheat. Go to 14.11 in.

He shot it for an hour and a half and didn't even get the high temp. warning. Standard mode IBIS on. He says the camera wasn't hot to the touch.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads