Fuji GFX and the new TS-E 90mm L Macro

Started Jan 16, 2018 | Discussions
marc aurel Regular Member • Posts: 147
Fuji GFX and the new TS-E 90mm L Macro

I bought the TS-E 90mm L Macro yesterday. Put it through some tests. Expecially I wanted to know if the image circle is large enough for the GFX. Test done frome a solid tripod using the Techart adapter. Results: amazing.

The first two images are 100% crops, taken at f/8. Full shift up (12mm). Focus point was in the middle of the shifted image. That is about midway between the optical centre of the unshifted lens and the shifted corner. I do that with all my TS-E lenses because none of them is free of field curvature. It usually gives me the best results.

The results are better than any other shift lens I have used. I can detect no distortion. Sharpness is excellent across the whole frame (at f/8) - right into the corners with full vertical shift (which is more demanding than a horizontal shift would be). No visible vignetting. Keep in mind that the image circle was not designed for a medium format chip.

Is it free from field curvature? No it is not. The third image shows 100% crops of the same scene at f/2.8. Crops on the left side are from an image where I focused on the shifted corner, crops on the right side are from an image where I focused on the entrance door. At f/2.8 you can not get both parts sharp in the same image. So field curvature is relevant for architecture photography. But from f8 on I see no problems with a flat target like this church.

Regards - Marc

uMad Contributing Member • Posts: 551
Re: Fuji GFX and the new TS-E 90mm L Macro

thanks!
here is a post showing the image circle of the 50mm https://www.facebook.com/122001131245665/photos/a.135465403232571.24057.122001131245665/1393958500716582/?type=3&theater

Those TS lenses seem to have no problem with the 44x33mm sensor.

MirkoK Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Re: Fuji GFX and the new TS-E 90mm L Macro

would love to see a direct comparison against the old 90 TS-E

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads