High Speed Sync with Godox.

Started Jan 3, 2018 | Discussions
engbert Veteran Member • Posts: 3,021
High Speed Sync with Godox.

Playing with the new A7r3, I wanted to try high speed sync with the Godox V860iiS Flash.  There is a sync button on the flash, which toggles a small icon with a flash sign and "H".

But with the flash mounted, the camera would not allow shutter speeds beyond 250.

The camera arrived new with the Flash Mode set to Rear Sync.  Changing that to Fill Flash solved the problem, and the shutter speed would go all the way to 8000.  It's in the manual, but took a little while to find.

engbert's gear list:engbert's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more
Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,582
Re: High Speed Sync with Godox.

Hooray! Someone who actually read the manual and solved his problem!

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 11,893
a lot of us have

we just don't post it every time. Since this is common and in the manual I do not see the point...........

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Phil Shaw Regular Member • Posts: 388

Thank you for reporting on this issue and for pointing out the solution.

Chris Crevasse Contributing Member • Posts: 749

Can someone confirm my understanding that if HSS is set on a Godox flash (and probably any other flash), the HSS will be triggered only if the shutter speed is above sync speed?  Conversely, even when HSS is on, HSS will not be triggered at or below sync speed, correct?  Thanks.

Chris Crevasse's gear list:Chris Crevasse's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM +10 more
superchalupa Contributing Member • Posts: 728

Chris Crevasse wrote:

Can someone confirm my understanding that if HSS is set on a Godox flash (and probably any other flash), the HSS will be triggered only if the shutter speed is above sync speed? Conversely, even when HSS is on, HSS will not be triggered at or below sync speed, correct? Thanks.

Correct.

-- hide signature --

Michael
Constructive C&C Welcome!
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129938610@N07/

superchalupa's gear list:superchalupa's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +4 more
BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: a lot of us have

golfhov wrote:

we just don't post it every time. Since this is common and in the manual I do not see the point...........

Iguess

BaldEgo's gear list:BaldEgo's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +15 more
BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 154

golfhov wrote:

I guess there were at least 6 people (including me) who gave a thumbs up and, therefore, saw the point.

BaldEgo's gear list:BaldEgo's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +15 more
kattoufcy Regular Member • Posts: 178

I have the tt685s with a7iii and I can't get the hss to work  TTL mode. It always fires at full power. TTL alone works but hss is not being metered. Is that normal?

MySimplePhotosToday
MySimplePhotosToday Regular Member • Posts: 195

BaldEgo wrote:

golfhov wrote:

I guess there were at least 6 people (including me) who gave a thumbs up and, therefore, saw the point.

I'd give a thumbs down if I could just because of reading the manual.

Everybody should know by now that you just swear and curse and keep pressing buttons until what you want works. What has the world come too.

MySimplePhotosToday's gear list:MySimplePhotosToday's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
kattoufcy Regular Member • Posts: 178

kattoufcy wrote:

I have the tt685s with a7iii and I can't get the hss to work TTL mode. It always fires at full power. TTL alone works but hss is not being metered. Is that normal?

Ok it seems HSS work in TTL mode when pointing forward only (90degrees). Any other position and it will fire full power....I suppose when used outdoors with a diffuser it works fine.

Trebor129 Regular Member • Posts: 250

I think I need help related to this post.

I have an A7III and a Godex 685, and also an AD200.

I put the camera in manual mode and the flash works fine at 1/200 second.

When I go to a higher speed, the camera lights up HSS, and the flash lights up HSS. So they seem to be in the correct modes.

But the image is underexposed at anything more than 1/200, and get progressively more and more black.

Can anything think of why my HSS is not working? Is this a Godex / Sony bug?

jor23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,314

Trebor129 wrote:

I think I need help related to this post.

I have an A7III and a Godex 685, and also an AD200.

I put the camera in manual mode and the flash works fine at 1/200 second.

When I go to a higher speed, the camera lights up HSS, and the flash lights up HSS. So they seem to be in the correct modes.

But the image is underexposed at anything more than 1/200, and get progressively more and more black.

Can anything think of why my HSS is not working? Is this a Godex / Sony bug?

Same question. My images were under exposed in HSS mode ...

I just reloaded the firmware with the latest on my XT1, Evolv200, and 685S - and can't make HSS work on any of them (even though both the flash and camera show the HSS logo).
The images are underexposed evenly - there is no shutter blade in the exposure. The flash does fire.

phototeacher Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

Trebor129 wrote:

I just reloaded the firmware with the latest on my XT1, Evolv200, and 685S - and can't make HSS work on any of them (even though both the flash and camera show the HSS logo).
The images are underexposed evenly - there is no shutter blade in the exposure. The flash does fire.

When you are in HSS mode, the range of the flash is considerably reduced; possibly the flash to subject distance needs to be reduced?

I am about four feet away.

OK, probably not the problem then, unless you are shooting at f/16 !

drewdave124 New Member • Posts: 4

This isn't in reply to any post in the thread but the conversation seems to be not far from my question:

Does anyone know if the Godox X1T/X1R system will fire a Bolt VB-22 at HSS speed? With TTL? I know it's marketed as an HSS-ready system but I've not actually tried it and we all know how these Chinese systems can claim but not deliver. The Bolt has an attachment that converts it to a hot shoe mount instead of tripod mount, so I'm curious if it works with that, but I have to assume that high-speed WILL work with the PC Sync ports.

Thanks in advance

phototeacher wrote:

Well actually, I think you helped me find the problem. since I am not getting a shutter-blade image, and am getting an even but dark exposure, it made me think that this has to be working, but is just not providing enough light. So I manually changed it from 1/16 power to 1/1 power - and now it was properly exposed at 1/8000 and no shutter in the frame.

So I think I just had a misunderstanding of how HSS should behave in manual mode. I assumed that you could change from 1/1000 to 1/8000 of a second and the required manual flash power would stay the same because it would electronically put out the same light energy, but change the duration. But no - this works if I treat it like daylight, and manually increase the flash power by a stop for every stop in the shutter speed that I go up.

So I can get a normal exposure, say at 1/1 power and 1/8000. If I change the shutter to speed to 1/4000 of a second, it will be over-exposed by a stop, unless I turn the flash to 1/2 power. And likewise, if I go to 1/2000 of a second, I have to turn the flash to 1/4 power.

Is this normal behavior for manual HSS? I assumed I could change shutter speeds and not have to manually change the flash power.
I will go play with my Canon and Canon 580EZ tonight and confirm this is how manual HSS is supposed to work.

Trebor129 wrote:

phototeacher wrote:

Well actually, I think you helped me find the problem. since I am not getting a shutter-blade image, and am getting an even but dark exposure, it made me think that this has to be working, but is just not providing enough light. So I manually changed it from 1/16 power to 1/1 power - and now it was properly exposed at 1/8000 and no shutter in the frame.

So I think I just had a misunderstanding of how HSS should behave in manual mode. I assumed that you could change from 1/1000 to 1/8000 of a second and the required manual flash power would stay the same because it would electronically put out the same light energy, but change the duration. But no - this works if I treat it like daylight, and manually increase the flash power by a stop for every stop in the shutter speed that I go up.

So I can get a normal exposure, say at 1/1 power and 1/8000. If I change the shutter to speed to 1/4000 of a second, it will be over-exposed by a stop, unless I turn the flash to 1/2 power. And likewise, if I go to 1/2000 of a second, I have to turn the flash to 1/4 power.

Is this normal behavior for manual HSS? I assumed I could change shutter speeds and not have to manually change the flash power.
I will go play with my Canon and Canon 580EZ tonight and confirm this is how manual HSS is supposed to work.

I'm not sure which flash units you are using, but if they are TTL type, then why not use them in TTL, with the camera on "fill flash" and Aperture priority?   You can still adjust the amount of fill by using the exposure compensation on the flash while maintaining your desired background exposure, or modifying it with the camera's exposure compensation dial.

In HSS, the power doesn't change; rather the flash actually 'pulses' as the shutter moves across the frame.   That is why the range decreases, since the output is lessened.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads