Sony A7RIII HSS Hack with Sony Flashes - how to turn on HSS that it works at any angle

Started Dec 30, 2017 | Discussions
Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,584
Sony A7RIII HSS Hack with Sony Flashes - how to turn on HSS that it works at any angle

I discovered with A7RIII a new thing accidentally. As you know if you use Sony Brand Flash with Any Sony A7 or A9 or A6XXX camera, the HSS only works if flash is in the 90 degree position (oncamera). The moment you move the flash one degree into any direction, HSS cancels and you are back to 1/250 shutter speed.

This is only a problem with Sony brand flashes, 3d party flashes don't have such issues.

However, I discovered how to make the Sony brand  flash work in HSS at ANY Angle - example with HVL43M

https://youtu.be/xDq7CNpvCzE

I have not tried if it works with any previous E camera, but it works with Sony A7RIII

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS R5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +11 more
Sony a7 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088
Re: Sony A7RIII HSS Hack with Sony Flashes - how to turn on HSS that it works at any angle

Absolutic wrote:

I discovered with A7RIII a new thing accidentally. As you know if you use Sony Brand Flash with Any Sony A7 or A9 or A6XXX camera, the HSS only works if flash is in the 90 degree position (oncamera). The moment you move the flash one degree into any direction, HSS cancels and you are back to 1/250 shutter speed.

This is only a problem with Sony brand flashes, 3d party flashes don't have such issues.

However, I discovered how to make the Sony brand flash work in HSS at ANY Angle - example with HVL43M

I have not tried if it works with any previous E camera, but it works with Sony A7RIII

Interesting find, thank you for sharing. I got tired of this limitation and sold my 43m and bought several Godox flashes. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Godox system for the price and I would never go back to the overpriced OEM Sony flash system. I love the camera platform, but there really is little reason to buy OEM flashes for Canon/Nikon/Sony anymore.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VA +21 more
Absolutic
OP Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,584
Re: Sony A7RIII HSS Hack with Sony Flashes - how to turn on HSS that it works at any angle

techjedi wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

However, I discovered how to make the Sony brand flash work in HSS at ANY Angle - example with HVL43M

Interesting find, thank you for sharing. I got tired of this limitation and sold my 43m and bought several Godox flashes. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Godox system for the price and I would never go back to the overpriced OEM Sony flash system. I love the camera platform, but there really is little reason to buy OEM flashes for Canon/Nikon/Sony anymore.

Yep. You are right.  Godox never had the issue to begin with.  Sony oem flashes do have this clever way to move quickly in the vertical position, which I am surprised why others don’t pick up    But in terms of anything else there is no real reason to buy Sony other than if you can get it at bargain

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS R5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +11 more
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,215

Thanks!!!!!  I have been frustrated by this for over 5 years.  In fact, I have sold most of my Sony flashes and gone to Godox (Flashpoint),  I kept one F -60M for event shooting due to the ability to swivel for portrait orientation.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
EQ66 New Member • Posts: 17

Absolutic wrote:

I tried, have the same camera and flash, I was looking for a hack and could not activate it, maybe another setting that is scaping me?

EQ66's gear list:EQ66's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads