Keystone / Perspective Correction Photos Extension

Started Jun 14, 2017 | Questions
dmacintyre Forum Member • Posts: 84
Keystone / Perspective Correction Photos Extension

As much as I have tried I cannot find a keystone / perspective correction extension for Apple Photos. The way it works in LR is perfect for my needs, C1 comes close and DxO Perspective on the app store would be ideal but for the fact it doesn't work as an extension.

I really want to stick with Photos for the file management and integration with my Apple devices but full perspective correction is a big omission. Any one know of anything which works as an extension (i.e. non destructively)?

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,803
Re: Keystone / Perspective Correction Photos Extension

dmacintyre wrote:

As much as I have tried I cannot find a keystone / perspective correction extension for Apple Photos. The way it works in LR is perfect for my needs, C1 comes close and DxO Perspective on the app store would be ideal but for the fact it doesn't work as an extension.

I really want to stick with Photos for the file management and integration with my Apple devices but full perspective correction is a big omission. Any one know of anything which works as an extension (i.e. non destructively)?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think one exists per se, so DxO Perspective may be the next best thing. But look at Affinity Photo; it's Liquify persona might get you there; I use AP on occasion but not that feature so perhaps asking others with more familiarity might get you an answer. The Liquify persona is one of the Photos extensions AP provides, and you can also send to the AP application itself.

Note that High Sierra Photos is gonna have an "edit in..." feature that might make it easier to work with Perspective. I would assume (yeah, I know, dangerous) that would mean one could edit a managed image, hopefully from RAW.

An alternative might be to copy out originals or reference them, use Perspective, and then a folder action to automatically import the result as a TIFF or something back into Photos. But I imagine you've already thought of something like that and found it unacceptable.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,427

dmacintyre wrote:

Thanks in advance.

DxO Optics Pro for Photos does this as far as lens correction goes, although without any user adjustments, but is pretty good value. Otherwise, Graphic Converter works as an extension in Photos and has an awful lot of tools including lens perspective corrections, and is very good value.

(can't answer for any others, as I otherwise tend to stick with the MacPhun extensions, and have owned GC for many years).

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more

Andy Hewitt wrote:

dmacintyre wrote:

Thanks in advance.

DxO Optics Pro for Photos does this as far as lens correction goes, although without any user adjustments, but is pretty good value. Otherwise, Graphic Converter works as an extension in Photos and has an awful lot of tools including lens perspective corrections, and is very good value.

(can't answer for any others, as I otherwise tend to stick with the MacPhun extensions, and have owned GC for many years).

Wow, great idea. I'd completely forgotten GC has some perspective tools. I'm always doing that, forgetting how capable GC is for all sorts of stuff (of late I mostly use it for metadata manipulation and conversion, but it has SO much more). Great idea.

I should just open up GC every once in a while and just play with it; this isn't the first time it's surprised me. And BTW, it has the best support of any Mac application I've ever owned.

-- hide signature --

— Edgar Degas

robgendreau wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

dmacintyre wrote:

Thanks in advance.

DxO Optics Pro for Photos does this as far as lens correction goes, although without any user adjustments, but is pretty good value. Otherwise, Graphic Converter works as an extension in Photos and has an awful lot of tools including lens perspective corrections, and is very good value.

Wow, great idea. I'd completely forgotten GC has some perspective tools. I'm always doing that, forgetting how capable GC is for all sorts of stuff (of late I mostly use it for metadata manipulation and conversion, but it has SO much more). Great idea.

I should just open up GC every once in a while and just play with it; this isn't the first time it's surprised me. And BTW, it has the best support of any Mac application I've ever owned.

Not only that, but it's one of the few that I've come across that can save back to Photos as something other than a JPEG - e.g. a TIFF.

But likewise, I too forget it's there. Mind you, I just find that the simplicity of using some of the presets in the MacPhun apps is so much easier. I tend to use extensions more for creative/artsy stuff, so rarely have a need for GC in that context.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
OP dmacintyre Forum Member • Posts: 84

Thanks all.

freediverx
freediverx Regular Member • Posts: 364

Apple abandoned Aperture users and figured it could delegate any responsibility for filing in the gap to third party developers. That hasn't panned out, as two years after the launch of Photos there's still only a smattering of simplistic extensions available for Photos.

freediverx's gear list:freediverx's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III
freediverx

Andy Hewitt wrote:

The problem is that DxO Optics Pro doesn't have a proper extension. You're basically exporting the image and then re-importing it after edits. All changes are destructive.  What we want is a proper extension.

freediverx wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

The problem is that DxO Optics Pro doesn't have a proper extension. You're basically exporting the image and then re-importing it after edits. All changes are destructive. What we want is a proper extension.

In general, that's not easy to do, most extensions return a JPEG back to Photos. Even then, it only sends a Raw original if you haven't done any editing in Photos first, otherwise Photos only sends a JPEG.

Graphic Converter can send back a TIFF, but they are huge in comparison to an original Raw.

There aren't many ways to re-edit non-destructively across multiple apps and extensions.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

freediverx

Andy Hewitt wrote:

There aren't many ways to re-edit non-destructively across multiple apps and extensions.

But we already have extensions that can do that. So that argument would only make sense if there's something specific to perspective correction that would make it unusually difficult to handle non-destructively (which may be the case.)

freediverx wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

But we already have extensions that can do that. So that argument would only make sense if there's something specific to perspective correction that would make it unusually difficult to handle non-destructively (which may be the case.)

Which extensions "do that"? AFAIK RAW Power is the only one e to allow one to re-edit after exporting back to Photos (as long as you're careful not to apply any edits in Photos after exporting to it).

You can of course use Open with... and then edit and save a copy in say a proprietary format, and then go back to that. But what allows you to send RAW to extension, edit in extension, export back to Photos, but then go back and re-do the edits in the extension without starting over?

-- hide signature --

— Edgar Degas

freediverx

robgendreau wrote:

Which extensions "do that"? AFAIK RAW Power is the only one e to allow one to re-edit after exporting bacrmat, and then go back to that. But what allows you to send RAW to extension, edit in extension, export back to Photos, but then go back and re-do the edits in the extension without starting over?

I just tested this using a RAW DNG file taken on a Leica Q and imported into my Photos library (to rule out that it might only work with iPhone photos). I applied edits using the Pixelmator Distort extension, saved the changes, and then restored to original in the Photos editing window.

The benefit to this is not just the fact that the edits are non-destructive, but that they take up minimal storage space because a copy is not made of the original file—only the metadata required for the edits. This is particularly useful when dealing with large files, such as this 44MB DNG.

My bigger complaint, though, is with all the apps that don't support extensions at all. it's is frustrating and inefficient to have to export an image form Photos, import and edit it in another application, and then have to reimport it back into Photos (and good luck preserving the original metadata in the process.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads