Is KEH camera still legit?

Started Mar 10, 2017 | Questions
nikonbirds New Member • Posts: 16
Is KEH camera still legit?

Hey all,

new to the forum, but been looking at getting one of the nikon super tele's from KEH to help me in my bird photography needs! Just wondering if KEH is still a reasonable/reputable place to buy from.

Thanks much,

Con

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
dccberry Senior Member • Posts: 1,011
Re: Is KEH camera still legit?

I have never had a problem with them- they grade very conservatively, so even "EX" would be very clean...

-- hide signature --
 dccberry's gear list:dccberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
ChapelThrill23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,166

I've never had a problem selling to them, purchasing from them, or using their repair service. Keep an eye out for promotions. They run big sales frequently.

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,126

I've bought thousands of dollar worth of equipment from keh over the past many years and a really excellent company to deal with.  They are fairly small and very personal to deal with, just give them a call.

The equipment is graded very well, expect better than what the grading is.  Don't hesitate in dealing with keh, I highly recommend them.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Tokina Opera 50mm F1.4 +3 more
CAT Productions
CAT Productions Senior Member • Posts: 1,033

+ 1.

CAT Productions's gear list:CAT Productions's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +44 more
WindwardHaole
WindwardHaole Senior Member • Posts: 1,511

My KEH experiences are just as positive as are the other comments, just remember that KEH will charge your state's sales tax.

WindwardHaole's gear list:WindwardHaole's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
Kris in CT
Kris in CT Veteran Member • Posts: 3,352

NikonHaoleboy wrote:

My KEH experiences are just as positive as are the other comments, just remember that KEH will charge your state's sales tax.

I think it depends on what state you live in. No tax to CT..

OP sign up for the email list they often have 10-15% off coupons.

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +3 more

Today's special is 10% off all lenses until 6Pm. Coupon code LENS03E.

Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,945

I wish every company was this good. I have bought many "bargain" rated lenses that look better than my new lenses do after a couple of weeks of use.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +19 more
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 6,792

No problem since before Internet when it was a paper catalog.

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z fc +25 more
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 8,241

Interesting. A lot of positive comments, but very low rating at resellerratings.com. 2.88/10. For example B&H has 9.68/10. Personally I have very limited experience with them.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 100-400mm +1 more

Sagittarius wrote:

Interesting. A lot of positive comments, but very low rating at resellerratings.com. 2.88/10. For example B&H has 9.68/10. Personally I have very limited experience with them.

That is really odd that they would. I wonder if that is one of the incidences of competitors sabotaging ratings because KEH is exceptionally well regarded on every forum and I've used and among those in my local photography community. They also have very easy returns.

I wonder if part of that is that people are angry that KEH tends not to offer much money for used lenses relative to what you could get in a direct sale and grades very strictly. I've had them grade a couple lenses that I thought were EX+ as BGN.

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,126

ChapelThrill23 wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

That is really odd that they would. I wonder if that is one of the incidences of competitors sabotaging ratings because KEH is exceptionally well regarded on every forum and I've used and among those in my local photography community. They also have very easy returns.

I wonder if part of that is that people are angry that KEH tends not to offer much money for used lenses relative to what you could get in a direct sale and grades very strictly. I've had them grade a couple lenses that I thought were EX+ as BGN.

No, I think its just internet BS.  Your of course selling wholesale to keh where if you sell a lens yourself the price will be somewhat above wholesale, but probably well below retail price if you really want to sell a lens.

Their rating system is tough, best for us who buy from them.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Tokina Opera 50mm F1.4 +3 more
Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 8,241

ChapelThrill23 wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

That is really odd that they would. I wonder if that is one of the incidences of competitors sabotaging ratings because KEH is exceptionally well regarded on every forum and I've used and among those in my local photography community. They also have very easy returns.

Do not shoot the messenger. :-). They have 6,294 reviews. Doubtful that that many reviews would be from competitors. One thing though, they do not monitor that site, which is quite popular for checking online re-sellers.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 100-400mm +1 more
OP nikonbirds New Member • Posts: 16

Thank you everyone for the quick responses!

I'm looking at a variety of 500mm lenses to spend my money on.. and they seemed to have a lot of stuff near my price range. (I'm only a teen so bird photography is kinda expensive for the type of money i make working part time lol). So anyway glad to hear that they are exceptional and that their ratings are above average!

Also thanks for the tip concerning email for discounts and the discount run tonight tho I will probs not buy tonight as I am on vacation haha.

Cheers

Con

pt10961 New Member • Posts: 14

Hundreds of oversea trolls can be spun-up for little money.  Best to sample any reviews, especially Amazon, and look for legitimacy...it is not easy.  I live in Atlanta and the local photographers here have high regard of KEH.  I have purchased twice using a local pick-up option.  They are reputable.

pt10961's gear list:pt10961's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +4 more
TWHook Regular Member • Posts: 193

I have bought 15 lenses plus one camera from KEH. What everyone says about their strict grading policy is true, which is to the benefit of the buyer. I only returned one product in all my years of buying from them, and they promptly refunded my money. KEH is an excellent company and I highly recommend them.

TWHook's gear list:TWHook's gear list
Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,670

I've bought one lens from them and it was softer than expected and they refunded the money with no questions or issues, so there is no risk.  One thing you need to make sure is that the lens comes with lens caps...strange I know, but they will ship a lens with no lens caps.  That is really unbelievable, but it's true.  But they are up front about it.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,716

scokill wrote:

I've bought one lens from them and it was softer than expected and they refunded the money with no questions or issues, so there is no risk. One thing you need to make sure is that the lens comes with lens caps...strange I know, but they will ship a lens with no lens caps. That is really unbelievable, but it's true. But they are up front about it.

That last line is important for others interested in buying used lenses from them. I've bought and sold many lenses and bodies with KEH. Lenses are sold with or without caps, tripod mounts, lens hoods and/or cases.  Prospective buyers just need to read the description to find out the details on individual lenses before purchasing.

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +14 more
WindwardHaole
WindwardHaole Senior Member • Posts: 1,511

I once asked about that and the reply was, "We sell it equipped just as we buy It". They inspect, repair if needed and grade it for sale. Probably saves a lot of mix and max and odd ball parts inventory. Nevertheless an up front company.

WindwardHaole's gear list:WindwardHaole's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads