Very sharp glass! but poor focusing

Started Jan 4, 2017 | User reviews
Sutlore New Member • Posts: 14
Very sharp glass! but poor focusing

I bought this just a week before reviewing this, so I might not get used to this lense but I can see some flaws.

The optic is so sharp on my A6300. The contrast and colour are outstanding. This is my first and only impressive Sony G lense I have owned.

However, the focus is some sort of poor. In standard mode, it is quick enough to shoot good portraits. Bokeh is very nice and clean. Personally, I really hate onion bokeh from the CZ 55/1.8 for example. The AF does not work so well as I was trying to shoot a flying bee on AF-C in macro mode. And it seems like the focusing motor is too noisy, even Sony said that is quiet:-( Before I wasted 6-7 burst shots to get an in-focus image.

All in all, it is acceptable for the quality and the price. I think there also rooms for Sony to improve the quality of the AF and make it easier to use.

Sutlore's gear list:Sutlore's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Leica M10-P Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +12 more
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
Telephoto macro prime lens • Sony FE • SEL90M28G
Announced: Mar 4, 2015
Sutlore's score
Average community score
Sony a6300 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264
Re: Very sharp glass! but poor focusing

Thanks for your thoughts.  Indeed, this lens seems to be pretty popular.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former NEX-3, F3, and 6 owner. Now a proud A6000 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

davect01's gear list:davect01's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 23,648
You should keep in mind

That Macro photography is mostly done with manual focusing, it's like that for 99% no matter what brand.

Dedicated macro lenses are known for slower focusing compared to * normal * lenses.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2* or Photo Mate r3
***Only a fool despises good counsel, but a wise man takes it to heart***
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,184

I think that your AF problems probably have more to do with unreasonable expectations for macro.

Or do you have experience with other lenses capable of tracking bees in flight at macro distances?

csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,582

It is difficult to capture flying bees with any macro lens. Expecting a macro lens to track a flying object at close distances is asking for a LOT. You'd be better off pre focusing on a spot and wait for your subject matter to hit that spot. Macro lenses are slower focusing than other lenses. The AF is great when used with slower moving or static subjects. Even then, you may want to shoot with manual focusing to make sure that the part of the object you want in focus is actually in focus. Depth of field is quite shallow with macro distances (even with the lens stopped down).

You may want to revise your review of the 90mm macro.  It is a great lens; as far as I know, no macro lens can do what you want this lens to do (accurately AF a flying subject close up).

OP Sutlore New Member • Posts: 14

I am so sorry for the review. It is the first time for me to get in the macro photography experience. I do not really know how much capability of the macro lense should be, and it seems that I expect too much from the lense.

Apart form the limitation of the tracking focusing system in macro mode, this lense is exceptional quality. I will give it 4.5/5 stars for that.

Thank you so much for all the feedback.

Sutlore's gear list:Sutlore's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III Leica M10-P Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +12 more

To illustrate how narrow the depth of field is on a macro shot, here is an image I posted earlier of a bee walking out of a flower.  This was taken with a manual focus lens (Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro) and an A6300.

For flying bees, it may help if you shoot bees that are flying perpendicularly to the lens plane.  You can pre focus at a certain distance and a flying insect that is flying horizontally at that pre focused distance will be in focus.  Examples.

Good luck with the macro photography.

davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264

Almazar80 wrote:

To illustrate how narrow the depth of field is on a macro shot, here is an image I posted earlier of a bee walking out of a flower. This was taken with a manual focus lens (Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro) and an A6300.

For flying bees, it may help if you shoot bees that are flying perpendicularly to the lens plane. You can pre focus at a certain distance and a flying insect that is flying horizontally at that pre focused distance will be in focus. Examples.

Good luck with the macro photography.

Great samples

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former NEX-3, F3, and 6 owner. Now a proud A6000 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

davect01's gear list:davect01's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Angel3010
Angel3010 Regular Member • Posts: 470

How much does this lens cost? And are there any other macro lenses for sony?

-- hide signature --

Money can't change people, it can just help them be who they really are.

The lens lists for around $1100.  There is a 50mm macro for $500 (FE) and a 30mm APS-C macro.

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,795

Angel3010 wrote:

How much does this lens cost? And are there any other macro lenses for sony?

If you are willing to use manual focus and an adapter, there are LOT of macro focus lenses available for sony.

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
FuzzyQball
FuzzyQball Senior Member • Posts: 1,662

Often DOF is minimal in a macro situation, and I could see how that would be challenging!

-- hide signature --

Glenn

FuzzyQball's gear list:FuzzyQball's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads