Is adorama okay to buy from?

Started Dec 26, 2016 | Discussions
David9723 Forum Member • Posts: 58
Is adorama okay to buy from?

I usually buy from B&H but adorama sure does have some good deals going on right now like for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II you get a printer and a bunch of other things for $1649 after rebate.

It's the same price at B&H but without the rebate.

David9723's gear list:David9723's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
SnapperHed Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: Is adorama okay to buy from?

Their service is excellent imo. Many purchases from both, I  would not hesitate to buy from them.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou Veteran Member • Posts: 8,131

IMO, you can't find better resellers than B&H, Adorama, and Cameta Camera.  Don't hesitate to buy from Adorama.

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Canon EOS R Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +18 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,895
Just check the resellerratings site, or do a search in these forums.

Just check the resellerratings website, or do a search of these forums. Asking a bunch of random people who have nothing better to do on the day after Christmas (such as me) than write posts is not scientific and is not going to be a confirmation one way or the other. RR gives it over a nine out of ten rating with over 16,000 reviews. Perhaps that answers your question.

Note: B&H has 9.5 out of 10; Best Buy website 1.68 our of 10. Hmmm...

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,989

I've been a customer of B&H and Adorama for decades (pre internet). I remember Adorama as a second floor walk up store.

Both are among the best retailers in the country. I just joined the Adorama VIP360 program. If B&H had a similar membership I would buy one from them also.

Both are really great. Cameta isalso really good.

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +15 more
Spotter Contributing Member • Posts: 503

I also check both sites before pushing the "purchase" button.   So many times they may offer the same price, but one will have that "little something extra" that sways me that way.  Excellent shipping and return policies.  Love them both!!

Spotter's gear list:Spotter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D
James Larsen
James Larsen Senior Member • Posts: 4,497

B&H & Adorama are 2 of the best - I mean the BEST retailers in the US right now. Both are equally trustworthy. You shouldn't have any problem with Adorama.

-- hide signature --

I love Photography & Cinematography.
Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/JamesLarsenMI
Subscribe to my YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglBlmPTAGoV29E-nyRcbDw

James Larsen's gear list:James Larsen's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,895
Consumer Reports apparently agrees with you.

Consumer Reports apparently agrees with you (Dec. 2016, p. 33). B&H is listed as #1 (online) and Adorama is #4, with 96 and 94 ratings, respectively.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,341

I can vouch for Adorama.  Good to go. 

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: www.ratonphotos.com
Travel photography: www.placesandpics.com

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
spencergf Contributing Member • Posts: 605

I've always gotten good service from both Adorama and B&H.

spencergf's gear list:spencergf's gear list
Leica M8 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,614

I have dealt with them for years.  They are excellent.  Every bit as good as Band H the two companies are gold standard.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,024
Re: Just check the resellerratings site, or do a search in these forums.

Corkcampbell wrote:

Just check the resellerratings website, or do a search of these forums. Asking a bunch of random people who have nothing better to do on the day after Christmas (such as me) than write posts is not scientific and is not going to be a confirmation one way or the other. RR gives it over a nine out of ten rating with over 16,000 reviews. Perhaps that answers your question.

"resellerratings" is a pretty tough rating site so 9/10 (16000 reviews) is impressive. Amazon.com gets 3.25/10 from 3000 reviews out of probably 1 Billions orders per year (1,000,000,000). Definitely a biased sample. I definitely wonder why Adorama has 16000 reviews while Amazon has 3000.

just my 0.02 thoughts,

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
HelenOster
HelenOster Senior Member • Posts: 1,188
Re: Just check the resellerratings site, or do a search in these forums.

BertIverson wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

"resellerratings" is a pretty tough rating site so 9/10 (16000 reviews) is impressive. Amazon.com gets 3.25/10 from 3000 reviews out of probably 1 Billions orders per year (1,000,000,000). Definitely a biased sample. I definitely wonder why Adorama has 16000 reviews while Amazon has 3000.

just my 0.02 thoughts,

Bert

That's an easy one - at the completion of each transaction, Adorama (in common with many other retailers) offers purchasers the opportunity to complete a feedback form. These (on our site at least) are generated randomly, and could be for Resellerratings, Connexity, Shopper Approved etc.

Amazon only wants your feedback on their own site!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster

madecov wrote: I just joined the Adorama VIP360 program.

Thanks! - as someone posted on our Facebook page a couple of days ago, the extended returns period, the free warranties, free shipping offers and all the other benefits make it a total no-brainer not to

Helen Oster

HelenOster
Re: Consumer Reports apparently agrees with you.

Corkcampbell wrote:

Consumer Reports apparently agrees with you (Dec. 2016, p. 33). B&H is listed as #1 (online) and Adorama is #4, with 96 and 94 ratings, respectively.

Thank you - though personally I dislike that site. IMO, for a multitude of reasons, it's barely a step up from RipOffReport.........

Helen Oster

HelenOster

David9723 wrote:

I usually buy from B&H but adorama sure does have some good deals going on right now like for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II you get a printer and a bunch of other things for $1649 after rebate.

If you have any concerns or queries I'm right here to help: Helen@adorama.com

Thank you so much to all of you for considering Adorama Camera for your photography purchases, for your kind comments and for sharing your experiences of ordering from Adorama.

We do strive to be among the best, most responsible and reliable retailers, and we are grateful that so many of you have found  us to be competitive and customer-orientated.

I hope you are all having a wonderful, warm Holiday Season, and please never hesitate if you need to email me personally for any reason at all.

Helen Oster

Helen@adorama.com

BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,024
Helen -- Just check the resellerratings site, or do a search in these forums.

HelenOster wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

just my 0.02 thoughts,

Bert

That's an easy one - at the completion of each transaction, Adorama (in common with many other retailers) offers purchasers the opportunity to complete a feedback form. These (on our site at least) are generated randomly, and could be for Resellerratings, Connexity, Shopper Approved etc.

Amazon only wants your feedback on their own site!

Helen Oster

Thanks Helen,

That explains my confusion over the number of reviews/order. However, the biased sample issue definitely remains -- but that is OK I guess if the ratings are used intelligently.

Cheers,
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Elliot H Senior Member • Posts: 1,560

David9723 wrote:

There is no comparison between B&H, Adorama & Cameta,

as far as in store experience:  B&H is far superior in every way.

HelenOster
Re: Helen -- Just check the resellerratings site, or do a search in these forums.

BertIverson wrote:

Thanks Helen,

That explains my confusion over the number of reviews/order. However, the biased sample issue definitely remains -- but that is OK I guess if the ratings are used intelligently.

Cheers,
Bert

The other thing to take into account is that the number of reviews, even if you add together ALL the reviews across all the sites, reflect only a tiny fraction of the number of the orders filled!

AND, in truth feedback from members here (or on POTN) actually more accurately reflects the views of hands-on serious photographers, than on most of these random consumer sites!

Helen Oster

madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,989

Just a little aside.

I recently purchased a reflector and holder arm and the Explore 600 from Adorama. It shipped via UPS second day air. The Reflector holder arm arrived one day late (no biggie, it was the holidays) but it arrived damaged and unusable. I called customer service and no questions asked a second one was shipped out and I was told to dispose of the damaged item. Retail price was $30.00

Granted Flashpoint and Adorama house brands are a higher profit item but I was very surprised that they told me to just dispose of the damaged item, it undoubtedly cost more to return ship the item and in all of my years dealing with Adorama this was the first claim I had ever filed. The replacement is due to arrive today and I'm pretty pleased with the service given all the holiday time off for UPS and warehouse folks.

Overall I have never had a truly bad experience with Adorama, I did have one negative experience with B&H but Henry P. handled it for me very quickly and to my satisfaction.

Having personnel in place who can "fix" issues that the customer service reps can't is another reason I like dealing with both stores. Amazon really doesn't have people who can go above and beyond the norm.

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads