E-M1 MkII - proven non-genuine cable shutter release?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
MarkDavo
MarkDavo Senior Member • Posts: 1,189
E-M1 MkII - proven non-genuine cable shutter release?

Has anyone proven their non-genuine cable shutter release on their new MkII?  If so what are the details please?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Mark
Always learning

MarkDavo's gear list:MarkDavo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +4 more
ANSWER:
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 2,063
Re: E-M1 MkII - proven non-genuine cable shutter release?

I'm potentially interested in this too, Mark. So Bump ...

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +20 more
wolfychi Contributing Member • Posts: 708

bought a RM-UC1 from Ebay for less than $4USD, works fine on my E-P5, need to sanding/filing off the plug surface a bit as the plug was a bit tight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RM-UC1-Remote-Shutter-Release-cable-control-for-Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-E-M1-E-M5-PL7-/221895375270?hash=item33a9feb9a6:g:8hYAAOSwEetWBGZd

JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

Thanks Wolfy

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +20 more
PlumShots Regular Member • Posts: 326
Please clarify...

wolfychi wrote:

bought a RM-UC1 from Ebay for less than $4USD, works fine on my E-P5, need to sanding/filing off the plug surface a bit as the plug was a bit tight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RM-UC1-Remote-Shutter-Release-cable-control-for-Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-E-M1-E-M5-PL7-/221895375270?hash=item33a9feb9a6:g:8hYAAOSwEetWBGZd

Does this work with the E-M1 Mark II?  Does it come with some sort of an adapter?

Thanks.

PlumShots's gear list:PlumShots's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic G85 +1 more
Light Bender Regular Member • Posts: 141

The RM-UC1 cable is completely different from the cable required for the E-M1 Mark II...The E-M1 Mark II requires a 2.5mm mono cable - I'd be extremely surprised if Canon's RS-60E3 didn't work...

Light Bender's gear list:Light Bender's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7R II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +12 more
wolfychi Contributing Member • Posts: 708
Re: Please clarify...

PlumShots wrote:

wolfychi wrote:

Does this work with the E-M1 Mark II? Does it come with some sort of an adapter?

Thanks.

Sorry I was assuming the E-M1 MK II would have the same USB socket as the MK I, now I am not sure if it works for the E-M1 MK II.

Yes...

Light Bender wrote:

The RM-UC1 cable is completely different from the cable required for the E-M1 Mark II...The E-M1 Mark II requires a 2.5mm mono cable - I'd be extremely surprised if Canon's RS-60E3 didn't work...

Thanks Light Bender,

This is my understanding as well. Just wanted clarification for the thread.

Yes, Canon E3-compatible release cables should work with the E-M1 II. I tested one during an in-store demo.

Cheers.

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic G85 +1 more
Not a problem...

wolfychi wrote:

PlumShots wrote:

wolfychi wrote:

Does this work with the E-M1 Mark II? Does it come with some sort of an adapter?

Thanks.

Sorry I was assuming the E-M1 MK II would have the same USB socket as the MK I, now I am not sure if it works for the E-M1 MK II.

Thanks for trying to be helpful.

I just would like to clarify the thread for future reference.

Cheers.

sunnydayz New Member • Posts: 17
Re: Yes...

PlumShots wrote:

Light Bender wrote:

Thanks Light Bender,

Yes, Canon E3-compatible release cables should work with the E-M1 II. I tested one during an in-store demo.

Cheers.

I can confirm Canon E3 compatible remote works.

The plug which plugs into the camera remote socket is a 2.5mm mini stereo plug.

The ring closest to cable is ground, 2nd ring (middle) is focus and the tip is shutter release.

I have a Pixel RW-221/UC1 wireless remote I use for E-M10 Mark II. The receiver uses 2.5mm mini stereo plug. So I ordered a straight 2.5mm male to male stereo cable (actually made for audio) which was cheaper than the Pixel E3 cable. Plugged one side into the wireless receiver and the other side into E-M1 Mark II and it works just fine. The good thing about the wireless receiver it that it also has a dual step shutter release with half press (focus / exposure) and full press shutter release, so if I don't need to fire wirelessly, I can still use the receiver as a remote release. This works without batteries in the receiver, of course batteries required for wireless operation.

sunnydayz's gear list:sunnydayz's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F +14 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
MarkDavo
OP MarkDavo Senior Member • Posts: 1,189
Re: Yes...

sunnydayz wrote:

PlumShots wrote:

Light Bender wrote:

Thanks Light Bender,

Cheers.

I can confirm Canon E3 compatible remote works.

The plug which plugs into the camera remote socket is a 2.5mm mini stereo plug.

The ring closest to cable is ground, 2nd ring (middle) is focus and the tip is shutter release.

I have a Pixel RW-221/UC1 wireless remote I use for E-M10 Mark II. The receiver uses 2.5mm mini stereo plug. So I ordered a straight 2.5mm male to male stereo cable (actually made for audio) which was cheaper than the Pixel E3 cable. Plugged one side into the wireless receiver and the other side into E-M1 Mark II and it works just fine. The good thing about the wireless receiver it that it also has a dual step shutter release with half press (focus / exposure) and full press shutter release, so if I don't need to fire wirelessly, I can still use the receiver as a remote release. This works without batteries in the receiver, of course batteries required for wireless operation.

Thanks everyone.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Mark
Always learning

MarkDavo's gear list:MarkDavo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +4 more
fcheh
fcheh Regular Member • Posts: 243

MarkDavo wrote:

Has anyone proven their non-genuine cable shutter release on their new MkII? If so what are the details please?

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Mark
Always learning

Question why don't you use the Android app for remote control?

-- hide signature --
 fcheh's gear list:fcheh's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
sunnydayz New Member • Posts: 17

Sorry for the very late reply.

I'm actually open to all options of control, android app, iphone app would be fine to use, but sometimes a simply direct cable release is needed and that was the question asked in the thread.

Hope that answers your question.

Good shooting to ya!

sunnydayz

sunnydayz's gear list:sunnydayz's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads