GR III coming in 2017?

Started Nov 8, 2016 | Discussions
Archiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,642
GR III coming in 2017?

The usual timeline of announcement is approximately two years.  It has been just over a year since the GR II was announced, so we ought to be seeing hints of a GR III in mid-late 2017, maybe an announcement in Photokina.

As the usual cycle of the GR Digital line is a significant revamp every second iteration, it begets the usual question of "what will the new model bring?".  And since we are a year out, now is a good time to send our feedback to Ricoh while the potential new model is taking shape.

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

Ricoh GR II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: GR III coming in 2017?

Make it dust-proof and I'll buy one again (sold the first model after two repairs for dust).

Make it f/2.

Make it 35mm (28mm is too wide for general purpose).

Add phase-detection AF.

Civic76 Regular Member • Posts: 205

And a little evf (like Sony rx100)

Civic76's gear list:Civic76's gear list
Sony a7 III
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,059

My wish list:

• Pentax K3II sensor with pixel shift
  • Keep the body the same if possible, I'd be ok with a few mm thicker to allow for the stabilization/pixel shift.
  • Same controls, it works great, no need to fiddle with it.
  • Same battery, I'm sure I'm not the only one with spares for the GR.
  • Weatherproofing would be awesome.
  • Improved display, touch would be nice.

If they change the lens to 35mm I doubt I'll buy it. 28mm is far more useful for me than 35mm.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX100 II
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,294
clarification

Archiver wrote:

The usual timeline of announcement is approximately two years. It has been just over a year since the GR II was announced, so we ought to be seeing hints of a GR III in mid-late 2017, maybe an announcement in Photokina.

FYO there is NO photokina in 2017 as Photokina only takes place every other year and furthermoe Ricoh NEVER announces products at Photokina

If I had to be I would predict  an announcement between december this year ( still a long shot) or around February for the shows in Asia

As the usual cycle of the GR Digital line is a significant revamp every second iteration, it begets the usual question of "what will the new model bring?". And since we are a year out, now is a good time to send our feedback to Ricoh while the potential new model is taking shape.

I am pretty sure this is already decided by Ricoh as far as things that cannot be set in firmware updates

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @haroldglitphotography. one NEW picture EVERY day !
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit
IG :haroldglitphotography

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,260

I agree with some of the suggestions:

1. keep it small     2. a small EVF like the GM5    3.  35mm yes!    4. better dust sealing

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon G9 X II Sony RX1R Leica X Vario Sony RX100 IV +10 more
Civic76 Regular Member • Posts: 205

How many chances to see better 800/1600 iso? And Always 16 mp or 24 mp?

Civic76's gear list:Civic76's gear list
Sony a7 III
Earthrise
Earthrise Contributing Member • Posts: 759

My prediction is 6 months of wild speculation followed by 6 months of anguish and indignation, until the realisation that Ricoh are better camera designers than the folks here sinks in.  And that's just me.

Still, fills the time

Earthrise's gear list:Earthrise's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR Mount A12
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 1,407

Daniel4 wrote:

Make it dust-proof and I'll buy one again (sold the first model after two repairs for dust).

Make it f/2.

Add phase-detection AF.

I cant argue with that list, but ill add one more and thats improved low light sensor, GR is fairly noisy even compared to M43,

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,294

maltmoose wrote:

Daniel4 wrote:

Make it f/2.

Add phase-detection AF.

I cant argue with that list, but ill add one more and thats improved low light sensor, GR is fairly noisy even compared to M43,

Well I can . the 35mm is not a good idea . we do not need ANOTHER 35mm fixed focal length. I doubt that Ricoh is ever going to abandon the 28mm FOV. I think they would be smart to offer a second option with a 40mm FOV ( 50mm with the crop) and a 2x converter

This was virtually EVERY common focal length between 21mm and 100mm would be covered with two small bodies and two converters

H

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @haroldglitphotography. one NEW picture EVERY day !
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit
IG :haroldglitphotography

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 501

maltmoose wrote:

Daniel4 wrote:

Make it f/2.

Add phase-detection AF.

My GR was fine up to ISO 1600. The much newer Nikon D500 only up to 3200 in one day of renting it.

rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,085

Earthrise wrote:

Still, fills the time

Does it?

the very same thread resurfacing every other month, with the very same posters and the very same posts.

Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 1,807

Ban all NR especially at RAW level. Add a noisy sensor that produces nice B&W without the need to resort to special fake grain effects in Lightroom or Photoshop.

We are playing fantasy fotoball, right?

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I steal them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital IV Ricoh GR II Sigma dp2 Quattro +6 more
easteast New Member • Posts: 16

Agreed... not sure why anyone would like to have different lens... it should stay 28mm

Also optional EVF would be nice, something small and tiltable.

easteast's gear list:easteast's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica Q
Rhawi Dantas
Rhawi Dantas Contributing Member • Posts: 647

+1
(And DO NOT increase the size)

Rhawi Dantas's gear list:Rhawi Dantas's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +6 more
Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,046
The GRIII could also be the GXRII

Well I am about chock full of 28mm lens wonder folding lens bodies.  I still have and use the original GRD, GRDIV and GRI.  They are all great cameras and the original must be 10-11 years old by now.  It is still a great camra in its own quirky way and testament to the lasting qualities of Rioch gear in general.

I will assess the GRIII when and if it happens but I gave the GRII a miss.  I also doubt if I really need yet another 28mm fixed lens camera from Ricoh as my present ones work quite well and it might be getting increasingly hard to pull yet another rabbit idea out of the hat.  But Ricoh has worked miracles before and who knows?

My main problem is that I really wanted something that was a continuator to the GXR and perhaps a little smaller.  The GR with an exchangeable mount system would have been nice but the old bogey has been that Ricoh make a very good single lens and it is verging on impossible to make a whole series of them on GR sales quantities.

Therefore they have a possible choice of aps-c and casting about for suiable lenses might suggest that there are many PK mount aps-c lenses available.  However the resulting camera combination will no longer be the compact camera that the GR series has always been but a sort of condensed GXR without the modular system.  Not that there was anything particularly wrong with their modular system other than being too radical for a conservative market.

Looking at what might suit me is not necessarily what your average current Ricoh buyer might want.  Despite taking a little step backwards in user ergonomics I was very taken with the Panasonic GM1.  At a time when the rage on this forum was for the impossible provision of several GR bodies each with a different lens I simply made my own and the GM1 and later GM5 can be bought in multiples and each fitted with a lens of choice. Ergo - I have an ersatz series of different lensed "GR" camera bodies made exactly to cover my needs.  With M4/3 there is such a range of lenses now that almost every possible lens type can be found for those with deep enough pockets.  How soon will a GR come out with an 85mm fov f1.2 image stabilised lens?  And yet I was using just that on a GM1 over two years ago.  Want a 24mm fov f2.0 lens as well - no problem (or a 24mm fov f1.4 if your pockets are deep enough), An exquisite 70-200mm fov f2.8 OIS lens?  Just empty your wallet here .....x

Panasonic also found a way to fit a quite useable evf into a camera body physically smaller than the GR.  This is the pocket-rocket 16mp GM5.

Therefore if Ricoh did the unthinkable and joined the M4/3 consortium the whole range of M4/3 lenses would be ready and winking at a GXRII built to GR proportions.  Unfortunately there is no way a collapsing 28mm lens will fit into a regulation M4/3 mount.

The GRIII?  I will see what it brings when it arrives .... But the 30mm fov f1.7 Panasonic lens is a honey of a lens and the GM5 + 15/1.7 is a potent compact package and I can make it into whatever combination that takes my fancy.

But better still would be a GR size GXRII with modules for PK, M4/3 and LM - with a decent built in evf.  That would be something to really rock the boat - especially if the existing GXR mount modules would fit.  One of the additional modules of course would be an updated 28mm f2.0 collapsing lens.  ie: the GRIII.

They are going to make it?  I am in.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

OP Archiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,642
Re: The GRIII could also be the GXRII

Tom, interesting how you have assembled a set of body/lens combinations, and as much of a diehard Ricoh fan you are, you have embraced the Panasonic GM1/5 cameras.  The GM cameras are excellent, and I hope Panasonic haven't abandoned that line.  While it doesn't have the rich image quality of the GR, it really does come close, and is more versatile due to the number of lenses available to it.

The GR III is likely to be something like:

- 28mm f2.5 or f2 lens (might be longer than current)

- 24mp Sony sensor, no AA filter, with better high ISO performance

- assorted Effects that emulates a few types of film stock

- WiFi and touchscreen

- craptacular video mode as usual for Ricoh

As much as it would be great to have a viewfinder, the size of the screen would seem to prevent it.  24mp sensor with no AA filter will mean great cropping capabilities, and a crop mode that goes to 50mm.

What I'd love to see are decent video quality, in-body stabilization, and a multi-aspect ratio use of the sensor which enables the use of a f2 lens that is the same size as current.

-- hide signature --

Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Well I am about chock full of 28mm lens wonder folding lens bodies. I still have and use the original GRD, GRDIV and GRI. They are all great cameras and the original must be 10-11 years old by now. It is still a great camra in its own quirky way and testament to the lasting qualities of Rioch gear in general.

I will assess the GRIII when and if it happens but I gave the GRII a miss. I also doubt if I really need yet another 28mm fixed lens camera from Ricoh as my present ones work quite well and it might be getting increasingly hard to pull yet another rabbit idea out of the hat. But Ricoh has worked miracles before and who knows?

My main problem is that I really wanted something that was a continuator to the GXR and perhaps a little smaller. The GR with an exchangeable mount system would have been nice but the old bogey has been that Ricoh make a very good single lens and it is verging on impossible to make a whole series of them on GR sales quantities.

Therefore they have a possible choice of aps-c and casting about for suiable lenses might suggest that there are many PK mount aps-c lenses available. However the resulting camera combination will no longer be the compact camera that the GR series has always been but a sort of condensed GXR without the modular system. Not that there was anything particularly wrong with their modular system other than being too radical for a conservative market.

Looking at what might suit me is not necessarily what your average current Ricoh buyer might want. Despite taking a little step backwards in user ergonomics I was very taken with the Panasonic GM1. At a time when the rage on this forum was for the impossible provision of several GR bodies each with a different lens I simply made my own and the GM1 and later GM5 can be bought in multiples and each fitted with a lens of choice. Ergo - I have an ersatz series of different lensed "GR" camera bodies made exactly to cover my needs. With M4/3 there is such a range of lenses now that almost every possible lens type can be found for those with deep enough pockets. How soon will a GR come out with an 85mm fov f1.2 image stabilised lens? And yet I was using just that on a GM1 over two years ago. Want a 24mm fov f2.0 lens as well - no problem (or a 24mm fov f1.4 if your pockets are deep enough), An exquisite 70-200mm fov f2.8 OIS lens? Just empty your wallet here .....x

Panasonic also found a way to fit a quite useable evf into a camera body physically smaller than the GR. This is the pocket-rocket 16mp GM5.

Therefore if Ricoh did the unthinkable and joined the M4/3 consortium the whole range of M4/3 lenses would be ready and winking at a GXRII built to GR proportions. Unfortunately there is no way a collapsing 28mm lens will fit into a regulation M4/3 mount.

The GRIII? I will see what it brings when it arrives .... But the 30mm fov f1.7 Panasonic lens is a honey of a lens and the GM5 + 15/1.7 is a potent compact package and I can make it into whatever combination that takes my fancy.

But better still would be a GR size GXRII with modules for PK, M4/3 and LM - with a decent built in evf. That would be something to really rock the boat - especially if the existing GXR mount modules would fit. One of the additional modules of course would be an updated 28mm f2.0 collapsing lens. ie: the GRIII.

They are going to make it? I am in.

no indication of a system camera from Ricoh, then again, you might argue, there were no signs of GXR before it showed up out of the blue.

My guess is that Ricoh is no longer interested in making cameras, they continue GR just to honor the company legacy. Their main camera business has shifted to Pentax, a company with its own history and legacy, and if anything exciting and innovative comes out, it is more likely to see it under Pentax brand name. I agree, in many ways m43 cameras are very appealing for the typical GR user who loves high quality compacts, but joining that camp would mean a completely new and foreign ecosystem for Ricoh (or Pentax), and extremely unlikely.

GRIII will be here soon, and it will have a new sensor with more MPs, maybe a slightly faster lens with absolutely same FOV, maybe a new add on teleconverter (also unlikely), but nothing shockingly different about it- I am not even expecting a EVF.

Archiver wrote:

Tom, interesting how you have assembled a set of body/lens combinations, and as much of a diehard Ricoh fan you are, you have embraced the Panasonic GM1/5 cameras. The GM cameras are excellent, and I hope Panasonic haven't abandoned that line. While it doesn't have the rich image quality of the GR, it really does come close, and is more versatile due to the number of lenses available to it.

- WiFi and touchscreen

As much as it would be great to have a viewfinder, the size of the screen would seem to prevent it. 24mp sensor with no AA filter will mean great cropping capabilities, and a crop mode that goes to 50mm.

What I'd love to see are decent video quality, in-body stabilization, and a multi-aspect ratio use of the sensor which enables the use of a f2 lens that is the same size as current.

Agree with all these points. Re: gm1-5: I think they did abandon that line already with the introduction of gx85, which is a beefed up version of gm line, but it still looks like a very nicely balanced camera. My understanding is that it is not equipped with their best sensor. But this is typical for big camera makers who love to subtract features from certain line of products to keep their other offers appealing.

Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 1,807

Archiver wrote:

Tom, interesting how you have assembled a set of body/lens combinations, and as much of a diehard Ricoh fan you are, you have embraced the Panasonic GM1/5 cameras. The GM cameras are excellent, and I hope Panasonic haven't abandoned that line. While it doesn't have the rich image quality of the GR, it really does come close, and is more versatile due to the number of lenses available to it.

- WiFi and touchscreen

As much as it would be great to have a viewfinder, the size of the screen would seem to prevent it. 24mp sensor with no AA filter will mean great cropping capabilities, and a crop mode that goes to 50mm.

with the exception of no AA filter, you're pointing to a pretty unnecessary upgrade.  Can they afford to follow that approach twice in a row?

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I steal them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 1999

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital IV Ricoh GR II Sigma dp2 Quattro +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads