(G7 X) Walking the Netherlands (25)

Started Jul 31, 2016 | Discussions
boogisha Contributing Member • Posts: 922
(G7 X) Walking the Netherlands (25)

Pictures taken on a casual Sunday afternoon walk from Breda (Netherlands) to Belgium "border"... and back

#1, RAW

#2, RAW

#3, RAW

#4, RAW

#5, RAW

#6, RAW

#7, RAW

#8, RAW

#9, RAW

#10, RAW

#11, RAW

#12, RAW

#13, RAW

#14, RAW, Crop

#15, RAW

#16, RAW

#17, RAW

#18, RAW

#19, RAW, Post-processed HDR (3 shots, +/- 2 EV)

#20, RAW

#21, RAW

#22, RAW

#23, RAW

#24, RAW

#25, RAW, Front out of focus, yet I liked the image

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +10 more
Twilight35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Re: (G7 X) Walking the Netherlands (25)

I just loved #1. Everyone deserves a day like that.

Fred

OP boogisha Contributing Member • Posts: 922

Thanks, that`s just what I`ve thought as well when I saw them Actually, that first one is the only one not being a part of the series, as it was taken a day earlier, on Saturday afternoon... but yeah, small weekend joys

Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +10 more
FD Contributing Member • Posts: 543

1-7 could use a -2/3

-- hide signature --

FD

FD's gear list:FD's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5DS Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 +24 more
Chenavi Regular Member • Posts: 124

I like your photos a lot, from this thread and your others. You have a great eye and good processing skills. Unfortunately from a technical point of view (noise/sharpness etc.) the pictures are less than perfect, I think you would benefit from upgrading to a larger sensor and better lens combination. You might have outgrown the compact cameras, and I mean that as a compliment.

damian5000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,948

You're on like perpetual holiday, man.

And, your shots look great. No way I'd trade in the portability of g7x for a gain in IQ in some situations, that 99/100 people aren't going to notice.

Look at all the people coming from DSLR to g7x and happy as could be with IQ.

damian5000's gear list:damian5000's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X
rpm40
rpm40 Senior Member • Posts: 2,411

Great travel series, thanks for sharing!

FD wrote:

1-7 could use a -2/3

I would respectfully disagree...

Joking aside, I did use -2/3 somewhere (like #6), yet all pictures are later post-processed to my own liking (exposure increased/decreased), and some to more represent the real scene - it was a really hot day.

Between #5 and #7 clouds were an issue, too - as soon as I set exposure and turn the timer ON, the scene brightness changes drastically until the timer goes off, making the shot pretty over or under exposed...

But might be that you`re right, in case you have a good AND calibrated monitor - as I`m editing my photos on my laptop for now, I can`t really count on having too great/realistic overview of colors/brightness :/

Still, at least #1 and #4 don`t look that bright to me...?

Chenavi wrote:

I like your photos a lot, from this thread and your others. You have a great eye and good processing skills. Unfortunately from a technical point of view (noise/sharpness etc.) the pictures are less than perfect, I think you would benefit from upgrading to a larger sensor and better lens combination. You might have outgrown the compact cameras, and I mean that as a compliment.

Thank you, Chenavi, that`s quite a compliment, indeed

While I certainly miss better equipment in some (many?) cases, usually in terms of being able to get more bokeh or more light, I pretty much value portability over (that much) quality for now, and can`t really justify carrying (much) more load for (not really that much) more quality/possibilities... for now, at least.

A long time ago, I was using Canon PowerShot A75 (my first digital camera), but then made quite some break in (digital, but any kind of, actually) photography. Much later I got into it again with IXUS 220HS (a really small one), but as I realized I`m missing PASM modes and wanted to see what I can do with RAW files, I moved to S120 (noticeably bigger, but quite an improvement as well).

In the end (and for now), I settled for G7 X, mostly providing zoom actually useful in low-light as well, and more bokeh - all due to bright lens and bigger sensor, and image quality (and dynamic range) improved again - yet the size is this time really pushing the upper limit of what I find comfortable to carry with me.

And I`m not lying to myself - I do take G7 X out (pretty much?) less than I did S120 (not to mention IXUS), yet I find its versatility (read: lens/sensor) kind of worth it. Heck, when needed, S120 still jumps in to the rescue from time to time

I`m just trying to enjoy photography with as little burden as possible - I`m still not ready/willing to go to something bigger/heaver, even if quality/options would quite increase again, as I`m kind of afraid it would make taking photos less a joy, and more a (tad too much complicated) process.

And I`m always looking into smaller compact camera market improvements, hoping that instead of me going big size, quality/possibilities would actually come down to me in a smaller / more acceptable package...

damian5000 wrote:

You're on like perpetual holiday, man.

Haha, I wish Well, I`m trying to take some pictures when I can...

And, your shots look great. No way I'd trade in the portability of g7x for a gain in IQ in some situations, that 99/100 people aren't going to notice.

Look at all the people coming from DSLR to g7x and happy as could be with IQ.

Thanks, and my thoughts exactly, though I am quite aware of missing some opportunities/possibilities that a DSLR would provide, but I`m not ready for the change just yet.

Kind of still enjoying playing in the sand, not really where the "cool" kids are...

rpm40 wrote:

Great travel series, thanks for sharing!

Thanks, glad you like it, enjoyed both walking and shooting it

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads