Silent vs. Anti-shock vs. normal in OMD E-M1

Started Mar 2, 2016 | Questions
marmotguy Junior Member • Posts: 41
Silent vs. Anti-shock vs. normal in OMD E-M1

I was wondering the other day when I was out taking bird pictures, if there is any disadvantage to using Silent Mode on the OMD E-M1?  For still photos, is there any advantage of using the mechanical shutter over the electronic shutter?  Are there limitations in Shutter speed etc?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

marmotguy's gear list:marmotguy's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Bob657 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,435
Re: Silent vs. Anti-shock vs. normal in OMD E-M1

From my experience silent shooting has the best results except that you can have rolling shutter problems.  That looks like strange distortions such as a warped building, mostly when panning to follow a bird.

-- hide signature --

Bob G
Visit my website at:
http://bobgreenberg9918.zenfolio.com

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6
berni29 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,119

Hi

I hate rolling shutter effects (and you will get them if shooting movement) so your best be is 0sec antishock with the mechanical shutter.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM1, EM-10mkII, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 35-100mm f2.8, 20mm f1.7, Voight 17.5mm f0.95, Oly 12-40mm, 45mm, 50mm F2 macro, (prev EM10, EM5, GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300, LX3)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +13 more
LearningForeverIHope
LearningForeverIHope Senior Member • Posts: 2,188

berni29 wrote:

Hi

I hate rolling shutter effects (and you will get them if shooting movement) so your best be is 0sec antishock with the mechanical shutter.

Using silent has risks. Your shutter should last some 150,000 shots. It is a lot. Nevertheless I like and use silent mode. I did set up one MySet for motion and learned to avoid cyclic lighting like fluorescent and LED.

LearningForeverIHope's gear list:LearningForeverIHope's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
TheEye
TheEye Veteran Member • Posts: 4,827

marmotguy wrote:

I was wondering the other day when I was out taking bird pictures, if there is any disadvantage to using Silent Mode on the OMD E-M1? For still photos, is there any advantage of using the mechanical shutter over the electronic shutter? Are there limitations in Shutter speed etc?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

The mechanical shutter will let you use flash, the e-shutter won't allow synching

Shutter speed with the e-shutter is limited to 1/8 sec and shorter.

On the plus side, e-hutter allows shutter speed son up to 1/16,000 sec. Also, e-shutter completely eliminates shutter shock.

A drawback of the e-shutter is the lack of audible or visible feedback that a picture has been taken. Olympus should add the option of enabling an audible confirmation beep or clack. If you take pictures of people without them being able to tell the moment you take the picture, it confuses them. You could of course click your tongue when you trip the shutter.

MarkDavo
MarkDavo Senior Member • Posts: 1,749

Bob657 wrote:

From my experience silent shooting has the best results except that you can have rolling shutter problems. That looks like strange distortions such as a warped building, mostly when panning to follow a bird.

I also experienced the distortions on vertical objects when panning using silent shooting at 1/2000 & 1/3200s. I only use it on stationary objects like perched birds.

Regards, Mark

-- hide signature --

Always learning

MarkDavo's gear list:MarkDavo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Spectre38
Spectre38 Regular Member • Posts: 466

Im not sure about Olympus but this forum states Panasonic has a 12 bit image with Mechanical Shutter and 10 bit with Silent.   So less dynamic range.

But if you are shooting action like BIF, you really need to use the mechanical shutter to avoid the jello effect.

Spectre38's gear list:Spectre38's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads