rx100, Fresh Snow, so peaceful

Started Feb 5, 2016 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,650
rx100, Fresh Snow, so peaceful

Perhaps this would have fit the Tranquility mini-challenge, anyway, I stumbled upon it, decided to show it again. It's my current screensaver, the shadows look great when enlarged.

Darn foot surgery kept me from a deep slow hop-about after the recent 24" snow we had, or todays' fresh 2" cover

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nannyg
nannyg Senior Member • Posts: 1,887
Re: rx100, Fresh Snow, so peaceful

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Perhaps this would have fit the Tranquility mini-challenge, anyway, I stumbled upon it, decided to show it again. It's my current screensaver, the shadows look great when enlarged.

Darn foot surgery kept me from a deep slow hop-about after the recent 24" snow we had, or todays' fresh 2" cover

Elliott

Is that your house, Elliott? It's lovely - and Big!

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,891

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Elliott

So that's what snow looks like. I'd almost forgotten. We have bright sunlight and 58° forecast for the next week. That's a classic-looking house. Definitely a tranquil scene. Your foot excuses you from any snow-shoveling. It's just as well. It would disturb the peaceful mood.

-- hide signature --
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,650

nannyg wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Elliott

Is that your house, Elliott? It's lovely - and Big!

No, it is in walking distance, I have a small split level, built in 1951, I am surrounded by old and big old homes, this is big, but far from the big ones in this town, Plainfield, NJ. My first house here was a small gatehouse, built in 1888. I am guessing this one was built between the wars.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,779

A really wonderful image of that beautiful old house! Hope the foot is doing okay!

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more

busch wrote:

A really wonderful image of that beautiful old house! Hope the foot is doing okay!

glad you like it.

as long as we are looking at b&w

the screw is permanent, the pin is temporary, to keep things from rotating while mending. There is a notch and keystone he made at the joint, to fuse the first 2 bones. He did some other work, but no hardware needed.

Don't ask why, it's boring.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

NHH
NHH Regular Member • Posts: 116

You went from one of the most beautiful serene snow images to something that's absolutely gross! hehe  That screw and pin in there is just disgusting, I can't imagine having that ever done anywhere on me.

NHH's gear list:NHH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V

NHH wrote:

You went from one of the most beautiful serene snow images to something that's absolutely gross! hehe That screw and pin in there is just disgusting, I can't imagine having that ever done anywhere on me.

You big baby,

I've had 18 surgeries, and 10 other procedures, that's 28 times requiring total amnesia. My mermory is shot to hell from the amnesia, I seem to remember. This is nothing, want to see my right foot? Got some extra hardware over there.

People see me recovering, say, 'what happened to you?". I tell them, "I paid someone to do this to me".

-- hide signature --

Elliott

NHH wrote:

You went from one of the most beautiful serene snow images to something that's absolutely gross! hehe That screw and pin in there is just disgusting, I can't imagine having that ever done anywhere on me.

The pin: they leave a curly q on the end of it, (see it sticking out the front) so they can grab it with pliers and pull it out. The first time I had one, a finger with every bone broken, the doc says, with a sh_t eating grin, "let's pull the pin". No, no, no, I'm not ready!!" He pulled that thing, I felt like my finger was going to pull off with it. Couldn't believe how long the pin was.

Whew. Didn't hurt, just weird. This time, I would pull it myself if he would let me. He will pull it Wednesday, around noon, if you hear a scream, that will be someone else.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,427

That's lovely, Elliot.  But more so, glad to hear you were able to maneuver out of doors, even just a bit.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F +1 more
RLBur
RLBur Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584

Elliot, I like both photos! Lol.

A couple of years ago I had surgery on the back of my hand that went all the way to the bone.  When the doctor told me he would give me a local anesthesia, I said I want to photograph it.  I still had one good hand that I could use with my G1X and it's tiltable screen.  He thought I was crazy and said no, thinking I would pass out at the sight.  Long story short, I convinced him and shot the entire procedure from the marking of the place of the cut, administering of the anesthesia, use of the scalpel, and sewing of the wound.  I got some great photos and later when he saw them, he asked permission to use some of them for a conference.

Randy

RLBur's gear list:RLBur's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S120 +11 more
Bob Tullis

RLBur wrote:

A couple of years ago I had surgery on the back of my hand that went all the way to the bone. When the doctor told me he would give me a local anesthesia, I said I want to photograph it. I still had one good hand that I could use with my G1X and it's tiltable screen. He thought I was crazy and said no, thinking I would pass out at the sight. Long story short, I convinced him and shot the entire procedure from the marking of the place of the cut, administering of the anesthesia, use of the scalpel, and sewing of the wound. I got some great photos and later when he saw them, he asked permission to use some of them for a conference.

I think I'm going to pass out.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis wrote:

That's lovely, Elliot. But more so, glad to hear you were able to maneuver out of doors, even just a bit.

Thanks Bob, but that shot is 2 years old, I just happened to see it while looking for flower shots.

Original was color, converted to b&w during a b&w mini-challenge, prefer b&w. My photoshop book says shooting in color and converting later is technically better, so you can see/view/frame in b&w, take a b&w, go back to color, shoot same view.

I love the porch on the house (this is the side, it wraps around the back also), and the light/shadows from the trees. Our town has a great quantity of trees to get marvelous shadows.

Huge old trees, heavy rain, wet leaves, hurricane winds, or heavy snow, strong winds, goodbye power lines. That's why we lost power for 8 days during Irene and Sandy. Luckily, this past 24" was light snow, with a decent breeze while falling, so it did not accumulate in the trees as wet snow might have.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bob Tullis

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

That's lovely, Elliot. But more so, glad to hear you were able to maneuver out of doors, even just a bit.

Thanks Bob, but that shot is 2 years old, I just happened to see it while looking for flower shots.

[drat]

Original was color, converted to b&w during a b&w mini-challenge, prefer b&w. My photoshop book says shooting in color and converting later is technically better, so you can see/view/frame in b&w, take a b&w, go back to color, shoot same view.

I love the porch on the house (it wraps around the back also), and the light/shadows from the trees. Our town has a great quantity of trees to get marvelous shadows.

I too love older wood frame homes.  In good shape and in all manner of entropy.  I want to walk the towns and get porch shots, all types of porch living when I'm out of the city.  But I'm reticent, feel it would creep many out.  If I were more the engaging type. . . but I yam what I yam.

Huge old tees, heavy rain, wet leaves, hurricane winds, or heavy snow, strong winds, goodbye power lines. That's why we lost power for 8 days during Irene and Sandy. Luckily, this past 24" was light snow, with a decent breeze while falling, so it did not accumulate in the trees as wet snow might have.

I have a country home, but I live full time in the city.  So I'm not as worried about snow/ice/power during these events - and how fortunate that is.   As for trees - they're my favorite "extras" if not featured actors, and they're so much sexier than I believe many appreciate (and not at all self-conscious!).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob Tullis wrote:

RLBur wrote:

A couple of years ago I had surgery on the back of my hand that went all the way to the bone. When the doctor told me he would give me a local anesthesia, I said I want to photograph it. I still had one good hand that I could use with my G1X and it's tiltable screen. He thought I was crazy and said no, thinking I would pass out at the sight. Long story short, I convinced him and shot the entire procedure from the marking of the place of the cut, administering of the anesthesia, use of the scalpel, and sewing of the wound. I got some great photos and later when he saw them, he asked permission to use some of them for a conference.

I think I'm going to pass out.

Randy had to Pass Out with his other hand for a while. As well as other things.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

I take post op pics at home, crop and email them to my NYC Drs, especially when I get post op infection like this time. After 6 foot surgeries, I have it down: strong light, white paper background, rx100 Manual Focus. That's when I learned, get close, get magnified manual focus close to perfect, and then move the camera, not the lens, in/out a speck while watching for peaking lines, for refined focus of whatever you want, pop the shot.

Now you want to see some scary photos, ewe.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

NHH
NHH Regular Member • Posts: 116

I've only been under for surgery 3x, generally removing defective body parts :D... or testing why they're defective.  I can't even imagine what you could do to your body to cause that many injuries, I've never even broken a bone.  The worst I could say I've done is smashing my fingers (and quite often when I was a kid) so the nail turns purple and falls off.

NHH's gear list:NHH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,891

NHH wrote:

And just imagine how much fun it will be when that pin gets pulled out.

-- hide signature --

Back to Houses in Snow

Across the street, thru the front door round window of our house below

Right side, sorry, it just popped up while looking for houses with snow.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

My local train station, Netherwood Section (sleepy hollow) of Plainfield, NJ

took that with my first digital camera, Ricoh RDC-5000, 2mp

https://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/past/rdc/5000/

This is one of the bigger ones, there are bigger

It's color original

-- hide signature --

Elliott

RLBur
RLBur Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584

All... really nice photos!

Randy

RLBur's gear list:RLBur's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S120 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads