Image stabilisation question

Started Dec 30, 2015 | Discussions
KAllen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890
Image stabilisation question

Hi,

I'm wondering about the in camera 5 axis stabilisation and built into the lens stabilisation.

If I use a Canon L lens with stabilisation via a metabones would I get the lens stabilisation plus the 5 axis?

If so is it better or worse having both switched on, I could see a conflict between the two if its possible.

Thanks.

KAllen's gear list:KAllen's gear list
Sony RX1R II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Pentax K-1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +5 more
Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 2,296
Re: Image stabilisation question

KAllen wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering about the in camera 5 axis stabilisation and built into the lens stabilisation.

5-axis is only available when using select Sony OSS lenses.

If I use a Canon L lens with stabilisation via a metabones would I get the lens stabilisation plus the 5 axis?

No. With a Metabones, you can choose between IS only, IBIS only or no stabilization at all. Never in combination since the Canon lenses cannot turn off the axes the sensor takes care of. Sony OSS lenses can do this.

If so is it better or worse having both switched on, I could see a conflict between the two if its possible.

I suggest you check out the Metabones site. They are pretty thorough with what you can and cannot do with their adapters.

Thanks.

arcman67 Regular Member • Posts: 212

I have been keeping my Canon IS on. With newer Canon lenses, you can use mounted to a tripod.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/image_stabilization_lenses.do

The SONY IBIS is not as adaptable: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=8391

I go back and forth a lot between handheld/tripod for my work. I am one to forget to switch IBIS on/off.

Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,395

Beaverhelmet wrote:

KAllen wrote:

Hi,

Actually ALL 8-pin Sony lenses can get 5-Axis Image Stabilization on a7-series Mark II cameras.

Sony OSS E-mount lenses get Pitch & Yaw stabilization from the lens and X, Y and Roll stabilization from the body.

Sony E-mount without OSS and 8-pin Sony A-mount lenses get all 5-axis IBIS from the body.

NOTE: 5-pin Sony SAL 16mm F2.8, SAL 20mm F2.8, SAL 28mm F2.8 and SAL 500mm F8 lenses only get Pitch, Yaw and Roll stabilization when attached using a Sony LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 adapter.

No. With a Metabones, you can choose between IS only, IBIS only or no stabilization at all. Never in combination since the Canon lenses cannot turn off the axes the sensor takes care of. Sony OSS lenses can do this.

Yes, that's true beginning FW 0.41.

I strongly recommend turning off IS or VR on third-party lenses and allowing the a7-series Mark II body to take care of it. Except for the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Canon lenses only provide 2-Axis OS, but a7-series Mark II bodies can provide 3-Axis IBIS.

Not only does this provide an additional axis for roll-stabilization but IS and VR suck lots of power away from AF when using Smart Adapters so turning it off on the lens will provide better AF.

There is no conflict with Sony lenses as the system is designed to work together, but I recommend turning off OS or VR on third-party lenses for the reasons listed above.

There is a full description of how the system works here: Sony a7II Review

Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

Brian_Smith wrote:

Beaverhelmet wrote:

KAllen wrote:

Hi,

Actually ALL 8-pin Sony lenses can get 5-Axis Image Stabilization on a7-series Mark II cameras.

Sony OSS E-mount lenses get Pitch & Yaw stabilization from the lens and X, Y and Roll stabilization from the body.

What is the status of the SEL55210 and SEL1018 on the A7RII? I know they earlier had OSS disabled entirely when used on A7x bodies. I suppose they work just as the lenses that lack OSS?

Sony E-mount without OSS and 8-pin Sony A-mount lenses get all 5-axis IBIS from the body.

NOTE: 5-pin Sony SAL 16mm F2.8, SAL 20mm F2.8, SAL 28mm F2.8 and SAL 500mm F8 lenses only get Pitch, Yaw and Roll stabilization when attached using a Sony LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 adapter.

Yes, that's true beginning FW 0.41.

I strongly recommend turning off IS or VR on third-party lenses and allowing the a7-series Mark II body to take care of it. Except for the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Canon lenses only provide 2-Axis OS, but a7-series Mark II bodies can provide 3-Axis IBIS.

Not only does this provide an additional axis for roll-stabilization but IS and VR suck lots of power away from AF when using Smart Adapters so turning it off on the lens will provide better AF.

There is no conflict with Sony lenses as the system is designed to work together, but I recommend turning off OS or VR on third-party lenses for the reasons listed above.

There is a full description of how the system works here: Sony a7II Review

LeSporty Forum Member • Posts: 81

ok, so it is recommended that the IS on the Canon lens be off. However if using a zoom (say Canon 70-200L IS) lens, using the IBIS feature is going to be a pain cos there is a need to dial in the focal length manually each time I zoom into a subject??

Camley Senior Member • Posts: 1,816

LeSporty wrote:

ok, so it is recommended that the IS on the Canon lens be off. However if using a zoom (say Canon 70-200L IS) lens, using the IBIS feature is going to be a pain cos there is a need to dial in the focal length manually each time I zoom into a subject??

You don't have to dial in the focal length manually because the Metabones Smart Adapter provides the lens focal length information to the camera.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II
LeSporty Forum Member • Posts: 81

That would be the Metabones, but I guess other (cheaper ones) like Viltrox & Fotodiox will not be able to do so.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads