A6000 waxy skin smoothing bug fixed yet? (video related)

Started Dec 2, 2015 | Discussions
dishe Forum Member • Posts: 59
A6000 waxy skin smoothing bug fixed yet? (video related)

Can someone with the latest firmware on the A6000 verify if the waxy skin bug is still present on HDMI out? All you need to do is plug the camera into a monitor or TV, and look into it. If it detects a face, it will automatically smooth the skin until you look sort of wax-like (even if skin smoothing and face detection are off in settings).

The A6000, A7s, RX100 and A5100 (and probably others that I'm not aware of) all shipped with this bug, but the A7s And RX100 got updates that quietly fixed it (was not in the official list of fixes). The A5100 still does it, sadly. I've noticed that this model does not get frequent updates, so I'm hoping maybe the A6000 has had it addressed already? I know they just got XAVCS and some sort of fix that helps prevent overheating in video mode, so maybe this was quietly fixed as well?

Hoping someone out there has one and can just plug it into any screen, a TV or computer monitor, etc. just to verify for me. If so, I'm selling my A5100 and moving on to a device that is more supported hopefully!

Sony a5100 Sony a6000 Sony a7S Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP dishe Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: A6000 waxy skin smoothing bug fixed yet? (video related)

Nobody has an A6000 and an HDMI cable?

I'm losing my window to sell the A5100 and buy one, I just want someone to confirm if it has been fixed, or if I'll have the same problem??

Frankja7III Regular Member • Posts: 122

I have not used my A6000 for video but did view the following video:

http://www.sonyalphacameras.com/sony-a7s-a7sii-a6000-a5100-waxy-skin-in-video-and-how-to-fix-it-bionz-x-bug/

-- hide signature --

Frank
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.' -- Bob Marley

Frankja7III's gear list:Frankja7III's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +6 more

Frankj5050 wrote:

I have not used my A6000 for video but did view the following video:

http://www.sonyalphacameras.com/sony-a7s-a7sii-a6000-a5100-waxy-skin-in-video-and-how-to-fix-it-bionz-x-bug/

Yes, I've seen that. The problem is, their solution is to press record in camera. Not only is that a waste of media card write cycles, it will only last until 30 minutes since that is the limit on internal recordings. Once it stops, the bug comes back.

And in the case of the A5100, it will overheat after only 20 min and shut off the sensor to cool down. 
These cameras were advertised as being capable of clean 4:2:2 HDMI out, which I want to either feed to a Atomos recorder, digital streaming box (for live event streaming), and sometimes use attached to a monitor/projector. Pressing record in the camera isn't always a solution or even a reasonable option. I suppose I could press record every 30 minutes on an A6000 to keep the bug off, but that just seems super wasteful and annoying- not to mention shorten the life of my memory cards and batteries.

bravomail Regular Member • Posts: 424

why r u changing subject from waxy skin to 30 min limit?

bravomail's gear list:bravomail's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art

bravomail wrote:

why r u changing subject from waxy skin to 30 min limit?

I'm not- I'm saying the "fix" (to press record in camera) which is proposed in the link above isn't actually a fix at all. The problem is still a problem. Best case scenario, the "fix" only lasts 30 minutes since that is the length the camera can internally record. Once it stops recording, the bug comes right back.

The HDMI out, however, is not supposed to have limitations like that. If I'm feeding the camera to a TV, projector, internet streamer, Atomos Ninja, etc, I shouldn't need to have a memory card inserted and constantly pressing record to get a clean signal. That's ridiculous. It's supposed to be able to just send a clean 4:2:2 out the hdmi as advertised. But it doesn't. It smooths the skin and looks terrible.

bravomail Regular Member • Posts: 424

u just did it again. why?

bravomail's gear list:bravomail's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art

bravomail wrote:

u just did it again. why?

What in the heck are you talking about?

I'm saying the "fix" above doesn't actually solve the problem. Then I explained why. Which part of what I said confused you? How about I reword the issue without mentioning a trigger word for you:
The HDMI output on the A6000 (and A5100) has the skin smoothing filter default to ON, with no way to turn it off. They fixed this in the A7s and RX100, but the A6000 and A5100 still suffer from it. So, if you want to record to an Atomos Ninja or live broadcast an event to a TV or media streaming box, everyone will looks like wax.

I initially asked if someone with the latest firmware for the A6000 can just test it to see if they fixed it yet. But I have confirmed elsewhere that the problem still exists. Someone above posted a workaround instead of answering my question, and I was pointing out how that isn't really a solution to the problem.

Better?

eljf New Member • Posts: 1

hi mark,

do you know if the sony a7 has this waxy skin bug?

kind regards,

ian

p.s. thanks for videos

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads