Nikkor 1000mm F11

Started Nov 27, 2015 | Discussions
DigitalSparrow
DigitalSparrow Contributing Member • Posts: 622
Nikkor 1000mm F11

Shot on a tripod with a Fujifilm X-E1 playing around in my sunroom. Was shooting the bluejays in a tree when the foxes appeared on another corner of my yard. I bought this lens on a whim to add to my expanding mirror lens collection. Lots of donuts on the first picture but I didn't mind.

DigitalSparrow's gear list:DigitalSparrow's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 4700 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Leica Digilux 2 Olympus C-5050 Zoom +54 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Vic Chapman Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694
Re: Nikkor 1000mm F11

To be honest - and I'm sure you wouldn't expect less - these prove what I've said before. Unless fitted to an IBIS body the use of anything over 105mm handheld or 400mm tripod mounted seems to be pretty much a waste of time. I tried my Sigma 50-500mm mounted via tripod foot and fitted to my Fuji XP1/XT1 and I found it impossible to focus even using the LCD because of vibration. Even 30 secs after last touched the setup I could see slight movement in the LCD. A fast shutter speed might counter slight movement when taking the picture by remote but you still can't focus properly in the first place.

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 42,734

Quite an achievement with that lens - well done.  I can imagine just how big a conventional 1000mm lens would be.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

DigitalSparrow
OP DigitalSparrow Contributing Member • Posts: 622

Not all photos have to be perfect to be enjoyed. Yes, there will always be difficulty in focusing this type is lens. I switched to the Olympus E-M1 and my bigma when I realized that the foxes were sticking around.

I beg to differ about what is or is not a waste of time. But I will always respect and appreciate opinions and comments.

DigitalSparrow's gear list:DigitalSparrow's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 4700 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Leica Digilux 2 Olympus C-5050 Zoom +54 more
surfmurf Junior Member • Posts: 27

Taken with Nikon D500 and 500mm f/8 Reflex

Glad to read the conversation here. I am anxiously awaiting my 1000mm f/11. I have both versions of the 500mm f/8, and have used it with and without the TC-200 converter to achieve photos that "I enjoy" I must disclose that I am a hobbyist and sure my bar is lower than most. The 500mm with TC is as i understand it essentially a 1000mm f/16. I shoot it on the Nikon D500, Df, and adapted Fuji X-T3. If the 1000mm f/11 performs as well as the TC-200 + 500mm f/8, I will be satisfied; however, I am hoping for a "slight" improvement based on the fact that it will be a non-converter generated image, and the additional stop from f/16 to f/11. Actually I occassionally run the Metabones on the Fuji which allegedly should step the f/11 down to an f/8. I have used this method with the 500mm f/8 to achieve an effective 500mm f/5.6 and I am a believer.

I find that an ISO of 1000 and SS of 1000 is the sweet spot for my experiences.

surfmurf's gear list:surfmurf's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 +17 more
AE Conrady
AE Conrady Regular Member • Posts: 120

Interestingly, on the first picture, the (female) fox seems to look directly into your camera. A lot of animals would do this, perhaps because they find the camera/lens reflecting light intresting or just irritating. But not with a 1000mm lens on APS-C. Most animals wouldn't realize a photographer at that distance. What puzzles me is that this large distance is not enough to let the fox mom feel safe.

Hello,

Does anyone know how to calibrate the Nikkor 1000mm F11 to be able to achieve infinity focus?  My focus stops at about 150 yards (137 meters).  The indicator on the lens indicates going beyond infinity, but focus is short.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

vyoufinder
vyoufinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,895

That first fox's eyes are gold.  I mean green.  Wow.  That's a great shot.

vyoufinder's gear list:vyoufinder's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7S III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +408 more
Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 6,330

surfmurf wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know how to calibrate the Nikkor 1000mm F11 to be able to achieve infinity focus? My focus stops at about 150 yards (137 meters). The indicator on the lens indicates going beyond infinity, but focus is short. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This lens can focus pass infinity.  If you have infinite focus issue, check your adapter.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more

Hi and thank you,

I am shooting on a Nikon D500, so there is no adapter.  I also shoot on a Fuji, but get the same results.  If I only had the issue with the Fuji, I would have explored adjusting the adapter, but since I have the same issue with the Nikon, I believe the issue is with the adjustment of the lens.

Hello,

Does anyone know how to adjust the infinity focus in the Nikkor 1000mm f/11?  If you know, I would really appreciate a discussion/description of the process for doing so.

Thank you

Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 6,330

surfmurf wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know how to adjust the infinity focus in the Nikkor 1000mm f/11? If you know, I would really appreciate a discussion/description of the process for doing so.

Thank you

If your lens cannot focus to infinity on a Nikon SLR/DSLR, your lens has a problem and perhaps no one can help you.  SUGGESTION: Send your lens to a shop for service.  There are so many reasons such as the primary or secondary mirrors misaligned or something else.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more

Thank you - that is exactly what I did. In the meantime, I found another copy of the lens that is cleaner and focuses perfectly!!!! (for half the price)!!! I am eager to explore the night sky and red-tailed hawks!!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads