Former Canon user moving to a77, question about lenses.

Started Feb 10, 2014 | Questions
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,102
Re: Former Canon user moving to a77, question about lenses.

nandbytes wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

CTR1 wrote:

Great, thanks for the reply and helpful info!

This is my first "kit Lens" list in order of what I considered

Sony 18-135 (still good for video with extra zoom range)

I Bought the NEW Sigma 17-70 F2.8 "C" version there are two previous versions.. good but not as good. Best Under $500 lens IMHO small very sharp..

Sony 16-50 F2.8 (wish I would have got that with camera)

Will probably get this later this year..

the Sony 16-50 is weather sealed to match the body and really good

I thought you were planning on going FF later this year, 16-50 is not going to help you there

I have lots of ideas about what I will do.. right now just working to pay the bills

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
OP CTR1 Contributing Member • Posts: 588

Interesting, I will look into them too - thanks!

-- hide signature --

Calvin
There's always a catch. Life is a catch. You better catch it while you can.

Haha, I'm in the same boat as you.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

Thanks for the help. I would love to go straight to FF right away but currently can't afford that - maybe in the future when I actually need or can afford to do so then I will. I am just seeing what my options are right now. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

I found a really good combo deal on the a77 + vertical battery grip and can only really afford a cheap(er) lens right now but will definitely look into the Sony 16-50 for the future. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Calvin

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into the Sony 16-50 for the future. Right now I can only afford the body + a cheap(er) lens since my main goal of selling my Canon gear was to pay of some debt I had. The leftover money is paying for the new Sony gear.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

Thanks a bunch for the info. Lots of good stuff there. I actually did just buy the body+grip deal from B&H and should have it next Monday, assuming no weather delays and what not. I will have to look at the 16-50 for the future since I can only afford a cheap(er) lens right now. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

Thanks for the response, I will continue to read and learn about the lenses and their compatibilities.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

Renato1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,327
Used Sigma Lenses

CTR1 wrote:

Oh nice catch, I don't think this was mentioned yet! I will for sure keep this in mind when buying. Thanks.

Hi Calvin,
                Yes, it sure makes buying used Sigma lenses on Ebay very problematic. If they are being sold by owners who only own Sony DSLRs, they may have no way of knowing whether or not they work properly on Sony DSLTs.
Regards,

Renato

nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,972

CTR1 wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the info. Lots of good stuff there. I actually did just buy the body+grip deal from B&H and should have it next Monday, assuming no weather delays and what not. I will have to look at the 16-50 for the future since I can only afford a cheap(er) lens right now. Thanks.

"Lenses together with the body:

• A77 + 16-50mm f/2.8 kit $1400
  • A77 + Sigma 17-50mm separately $1370
  • A77 + Tamron 17-50mm separately $1300

"

The difference is pretty small when ordered together. If you are able to afford that sigma separately surely you can afford $30 more for 16-50, or your budget is really that tight in which case excuse me.

Oh btw I am assuming the above information is correct, its not really that small a difference where I live but it might be in the US.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more

What I ended up buying earlier today is the a77+grip for $798 from B&H (no tax or shipping) and then a 35 f1.8 prime + extra battery from Amazon for $130 total (after $140 gift card balance kicked in). So for under $1K I got a pretty decent deal I think.

The any other lenses will be future considerations, since for the time being I'm short on $$. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

Re: Used Sigma Lenses

Yeah, I found a list of Sigma lenses that may have problems focusing with the a77. Thanks again for the info.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

CTR1 wrote:

What I ended up buying earlier today is the a77+grip for $798 from B&H (no tax or shipping) and then a 35 f1.8 prime + extra battery from Amazon for $130 total (after $140 gift card balance kicked in). So for under $1K I got a pretty decent deal I think.

The any other lenses will be future considerations, since for the time being I'm short on $$. Thanks.

Ah right, 35mm is the best IQ:price ratio lens IMO.

If you want cheap lenses look at minolta lenses. This is how I manage on my FF at the moment on budget. Some lenses to look out for:

24mm f2.8 or 28mm f/2.8 for wide angle, I guess not so wide on a crop sensor.

50mm f/1.7 - in words of Gary Friedman "cheap, cheap, cheap, sharp, sharp, sharp". Just stop it down to f/2.2 and you will have plenty good results.

35-105 - I ordered this recently ~$45. Apparently I hear its really good and sharp. I guess I will find out soon, but for the price one can't go wrong. Plus its more useful focal range on a crop sensor IMO.

70-210 f/4 a.k.a 'beercan' - once again cheap, sharp and nice creamy bokeh. Does have some CA issues etc but its 30 years old!

If you don't know Gary Friedman - he used to be a rocket scientist, and writes very good books on sony alphas and how to use them. Even if you know photography, its a pretty good read. you will find a lot of people from this forum who read it and would recommend it.

Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
dlkeller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,922
Sigma Issues

I was browsing on the Nikon forum and discovered that they also have problems with some of the Sigma lenses needed "rechipping" to work properly.  Evidently Sony isn't alone with this issue and the way Sigma engineers without cooperation.

-- hide signature --

Dave

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 4,256

If you are still in the return period. Buydig.com has a great price on the A77VQ.

• $1400 for the A77VQ with
  • $50 gift card
  • Extra battery (not OEM)
  • 64GB sony U40 SD card
  • Sony Vertical Grip

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=6711638&sku=EMSNSLTA77VQ

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more

Thanks for the info and glad to hear the 35 1.8 was a good choice for the time being. A couple other people have told me about Gary and recommended him.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

No doubt that is a good deal and B&H had a similar deal for the a77 (they had a couple different bundles/packages). However, at the moment the most I could spend (when I bought my stuff earlier today) was ~$1K and considering what I got for under $1K - I think I'm happy with it. Most of the extra stuff that these bundles come with are more annoying to me since I never use them since I already have something that I use.

I already have a Manfrotto tripod though my ball head needs replacing.

I already have a USB 3.0 card reader and both my laptop and desktop have USB 3.0.

I already have 2 16gb SanDisk Class 10 Extreme SD cards with a hard shell card holder.

I already have a bag that I use for carrying camera gear in a non 'advertising' way.

The only things I would need/want now are: screen protector, lenses, good filters (don't know if the bundled ones are good or not), and a 3rd Sony OEM camera battery.

Thanks for the heads up and hope I don't sound rude but was simply explaining my view.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

Re: Sigma Issues

Yeah, I think I read that it was either an issue with the Nikon Df body specifically as well as the new lens design they have or something like that.

-- hide signature --

Calvin

thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,271

I moved to the A77 from the Sony A350. At the time I was only able to get the body like you (though at that time it was about $400 more). I already had the 35mm f/1.8 and my 18-70mm kit lens from my A350. I mainly used the 35mm until I could get the 16-50mm. It's definitely a workable primary combo. If you still have a little bit of money I saw an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM in B&H's used department for $50. It might be worth it so that you have something a little wider and a little longer until you can get some better glass. Just so you have a little bit options for focal length now and maybe to use as a back up in the future.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more

thebustos wrote:

I moved to the A77 from the Sony A350. At the time I was only able to get the body like you (though at that time it was about $400 more). I already had the 35mm f/1.8 and my 18-70mm kit lens from my A350. I mainly used the 35mm until I could get the 16-50mm. It's definitely a workable primary combo. If you still have a little bit of money I saw an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM in B&H's used department for $50. It might be worth it so that you have something a little wider and a little longer until you can get some better glass. Just so you have a little bit options for focal length now and maybe to use as a back up in the future.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

rather buy a minolta glass for the same amount of a bit more tbh. Its something I would keep using longer.

But the kit lens certainly isn't a bad deal.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads