Pentax Optio M30 review
I picked this up specifically for carrying around in my pocket so I could have a decent camera to catch anything random that I may miss otherwise. It has surprised me in a good way.
Highlights for me
- compact, fits in my pocket
- good price point - $179 at costco
- iso 3200 (extremely noisy, but it's great to give the user the option!)
- movie mode does 640x480 @ 30fps and allows zooming and does exposure compensation on the fly. Movie size limited only to available space on your SD card.
- Very acceptable image quality if you force the iso to something low and use flash with that.
- Clear, large screen with no noticeable video lag.
- A 22 MB included internal memory, in case you leave your SD card at home, you can still take photos! That's pretty cool.
Negatives for me:
- No internal tilt sensor - meaning all images are considered landscape, even if you are taking a portrait. So images are saved with no orientation tag so you must rotate them manually. Very annoying since I'm used to this being done automatically with my two other digicams.
- The "full auto green mode" seems to choose higher isos with the flash in low light conditions.. Meaning you get grainy images with flash. Most of the time unnecessary, if you manually force a lower iso and use flash quality is fine.
- The cover for the battery/SD compartment feels very cheap. Kinda like it might break at some point if you're not careful.
There is no RAW mode on the camera, or a manual mode, but I didn't list those as negatives for me as this is not my "main" camera. It is simply a carry anywhere cam that I can catch spontaneous moments; partys, a night out, around work, with the kids etc. I still expect a decent quality print at 4x6 and 5x7's and it does that no problem. So for me, it does what it needs to do well!
|Average community score||
|See all 6 reviews »|
- Fujifilm X-T223.6%
- Nikon D50025.4%
- Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E8.2%
- Olympus M.Zuiko 12-100mm F47.5%
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-G857.2%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art6.7%
- Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 Art5.1%
- Sony a63006.4%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX10 III3.7%
- Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V6.3%
|Kingfisher by cjf2|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 11, K
|Bull Rider Being Launched by RBFresno|
from FX bodies and very high ISO