Olympus Stylus 820 (mju 820 Digital) review

Started May 15, 2008 | User reviews
tashmoo456 New Member • Posts: 2
Olympus Stylus 820 (mju 820 Digital) review

I bought this camera because a few months ago, it was one of the only ultra compact cameras with a 5x optical zoom. I also liked the large LCD screen. What I have realized after using it for several months is that without image stabilization, the zoom is useless. All of the photos taken at 5x zoom are blurry, even if a flash is used. I thought using the sport function would help, but it doesn't. It isn't loud, as another user indicated, but it does take a very long time to recycle between shots. My old Canon sd500 is much much better at this. Another irritating thing about this camera is that if you choose a scene, each time you turn on the camera, you have to click 'okay' to stay in that scene. I often use the landscape scene, and you miss shots because you think you can turn on the camera and take a photo- but wait- you have to hit 'okay' first!

The best thing about this camera is that if you buy an Olympus memory card, you can take panorama shots and the camera itself stitches them together, so that when you download your photos, you have panoramas! This is very fun.

Cons:
most shots are blurry if you use the zoom
long time between shots
scene mode irritating
no underwater housing (other than Ikelite, which is too large)

Pros:
nice size and feel
beautiful screen
panorama shots made for you

Overall:
I'd choose another Canon over this camera if it weren't for the panorama function.

Olympus Stylus 820 (mju 820 Digital)
8 megapixels • 2.7 screen • 36 – 180 mm (5×)
Announced: Aug 23, 2007
tashmoo456's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads