D800 left AF serial number range?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Questions
dw1338 Regular Member • Posts: 362
D800 left AF serial number range?

I just purchased a new D800... And per the various internet forums a batch was affected by a left AF issue of some sort. Has a range of serial numbers been published somewhere?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pluton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,486
Re: D800 left AF serial number range?

Some months ago, T. Hogan wrote that serial numbers above 305xxxx should be OK.

This is consistent with my experience;  My D800E, purchased in early Nov from Roberts(very nice people, btw) has S/N 3008xx, and it had the left AF disease.

My Feb 2013 D800(from B&H), s/n 305xxxx, seems free of it.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

NikPhotography New Member • Posts: 19

pluton wrote:

This is consistent with my experience; My D800E, purchased in early Nov from Roberts(very nice people, btw) has S/N 3008xx, and it had the left AF disease.

I feel jealous as I haven't been lucky but I hope I can get my hand on an issue-free D800E one day.

D800E    #1    3010xxx        Late Dec 2012, LAF syndrome
D800E    #2    3010xxx        Jan 2013, LAF syndrome
D800E    #3    3011xxx        Jan 2013, LAF syndrome
D800E    #4    5002xxx        Feb 2013, LAF syndrome

Interestingly enough the last replacement I received had a serial number similar to those marketed in Canada.  The box had a Nikon US label applied on top of the Nikon CA label.  SN indicated it was produced around June 2012.  Although there were no signs of camera having been used before other than that the Manual in Spanish had no plastic wrap.

-- hide signature --

Nik

NikPhotography's gear list:NikPhotography's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
OP dw1338 Regular Member • Posts: 362

Just received my D800 purchased Feb 2013 from B&H and I have the problem!!! I thought this was fixed by now... SN is 3057xxxx so that's above the Tom Hogan threshold of 3055xxxx. Admittedly this is not as dramatic as some of the photos out there but there is definitely a difference with center/right.

How do you know your manufacturing date from the SN???

JohnLux
JohnLux Forum Member • Posts: 56

Here's another thread about the D800's SN from some months back: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41340365

JohnLux's gear list:JohnLux's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX55 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D70s +9 more
Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

Gee, just makes you want to run out and spend $3k+ on one. I have pretty much decided not to make the jump to FX, Dont need the expense nor the equipment issue headaches. I would love a D400, if they made one, but then I would wonder what quality issues it would have if they did. My D2x still is working great so we will wait a bit longer ...

-- hide signature --

Conrad --------------------------------------------------- Show Low, Arizona

rcower Senior Member • Posts: 1,417

pluton wrote:

This is consistent with my experience; My D800E, purchased in early Nov from Roberts(very nice people, btw) has S/N 3008xx, and it had the left AF disease.

Mine is 302xxxx and does not have any problems.

xuser
xuser Regular Member • Posts: 188

I just bought mine at B&H 305xxxx and did a quick test with 85 1.8. It is a little bit front focus, but I get same results using left, center and right sensors. I will be fine tuning my lenses soon.

xuser's gear list:xuser's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +8 more

xuser wrote:

I just bought mine at B&H 305xxxx and did a quick test with 85 1.8. It is a little bit front focus, but I get same results using left, center and right sensors. I will be fine tuning my lenses soon.

I believe you would need a fast wide angle lens to detect the issue, and always fine tune first before testing.

-- hide signature --

Nik

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,831

NikPhotography wrote:

I feel jealous as I haven't been lucky but I hope I can get my hand on an issue-free D800E one day.

D800E #1 3010xxx Late Dec 2012, LAF syndrome
D800E #2 3010xxx Jan 2013, LAF syndrome
D800E #3 3011xxx Jan 2013, LAF syndrome
D800E #4 5002xxx Feb 2013, LAF syndrome

Maybe - just maybe - your testing procedure needs adjustment. Would you mind sharing your set-up with us and post the resulting images from one of the camera ?

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +9 more
GO Regular Member • Posts: 247

Mine is also 3020xxx and does not have any problems

GO's gear list:GO's gear list
Nikon D3

TOF guy wrote:

NikPhotography wrote:

D800E #1 3010xxx Late Dec 2012, LAF syndrome
D800E #2 3010xxx Jan 2013, LAF syndrome
D800E #3 3011xxx Jan 2013, LAF syndrome
D800E #4 5002xxx Feb 2013, LAF syndrome

Maybe - just maybe - your testing procedure needs adjustment. Would you mind sharing your set-up with us and post the resulting images from one of the camera ?

Here's the procedure, settings, and set-up I used:

1- D800E with 14-24mm AFS f/2.8 on tripod, leveled using a hot-shoe mounted bubble level;

2- set to AF-S A priority, Exposure Delay 3 sec., Self Timer 5 sec.;

3- AF fine tuned the lens ( in the range of +/- 5 was needed for the first 3 bodies )

4- Committed a sin by some standards, that is, instead of using lovely charts I used three fresh $5 bills and set them apart such that Lincoln's face lines up under the left-most, center, and right-most viewfinder focusing sensors;

5- captured several times using both Live View focus and viewfinder sensor focus.  (obviously there's some sharpness fall off for images coming from off-center part of the lens).

In all bodies, the right-most sensor was always better than the left, in one very closely matched the LV focus on the same spot, but left-most sensor was always off with slightly different degrees in all four cameras.  Here are the resulting images of the D800E body #2. (all are 100% crops, focus points as indicated in Capture NX2):

Center focus in LV

Center focus via Viewfinder

The softness here is an obvious effect of the lens and not expected to be as sharp as the center

and finally, the left-most sensor via view finder:

focus via the left-most sensor in view finder

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Nik

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Are you using incandescent light?

NikPhotography wrote:

xuser wrote:

I believe you would need a fast wide angle lens to detect the issue, and always fine tune first before testing.

Agree about AF Fine-tune first, but are you saying f/1.8 is not a fast lens? 

One thing to watch out for is the light. Do not test with tungsten or warm fluorescent light. Try to use daylight or something closes to it. There seems to be some PDAF error with warm light and you don't want to confuse that issue with your AF alignment issue.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Re: Are you using incandescent light?

Robin Casady wrote:

NikPhotography wrote:

xuser wrote:

Agree about AF Fine-tune first, but are you saying f/1.8 is not a fast lens?

f/1.8 for sure is fast, even f/2.8 is fast enough for the purpose of this test, but 85mm is not wide.

Regards,
Nik

Art Jacks Veteran Member • Posts: 3,236

Have you done any more tests with other lens or that lens using a different body to eliminate the possibility of a lens issue ?

ken6217 Regular Member • Posts: 308
Wonder why my 800E is 301xxxx bought end Feb?

I picked up my 800E at B&H last week (2/27). Why would it have a s/n nbr of 301xxxx if Nikon is up to and maybe past 305xxxx. Any ideas?

Ken

wombat779 Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: Wonder why my 800E is 301xxxx bought end Feb?

ken6217 wrote:

I picked up my 800E at B&H last week (2/27). Why would it have a s/n nbr of 301xxxx if Nikon is up to and maybe past 305xxxx. Any ideas?

Ken

D800E serial numbers are different than D800 serial numbers.  My D800E bought in late November 2012 from B&H is 3009xxx.

oh well

I thought that Nikon had fixed this, and I was wrong.

But thank you for taking the time to share the procedure and results. The camera does exhibit the issue albeit it's nowhere as bad as it was in the early months of production. Still not good enough.

3 cameras with the issue ... hmmm this is not good

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +9 more

Art Jacks wrote:

Have you done any more tests with other lens or that lens using a different body to eliminate the possibility of a lens issue ?

This is why it is important to compare results between CDAF (or alternatively manual focusing using LV at 100% magnification) and PDAF - as Nik has done.

We can eliminate the possibiity of a lens issue based on his results.

-- hide signature --

Yaamon Senior Member • Posts: 1,753

When I first got my D800 last June in Canada I quickly tested it in sunlight and noticed the right side was slight back focused with the left more pronounced. Canter Af and view voiew was accurate.

My serial number is 50027xx.

Luckily I was able to send it in to Nikon located in Mississauga, Ontario and after speaking to the service rep that I dealt with my D7000 they were able to repair it in one service. Now extreme left and right af is the same with pd vs live view.

I have read many owners have sent their D800/800E to Mississauga a few times with no luck.

I did noticed that with incandescent and florescent light throws off the af. So I did my fine tune in natural light. Only 1 lens need af and that was a -2.

I should use the D800 more but I have been using my 5DIII as my main camera.

Yaamon's gear list:Yaamon's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R III Canon EOS R +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads