DQed from Nature in a man made world.

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214
DQed from Nature in a man made world.

Titled: Safe from the Foxes

....... followed the challenge title to the letter, yet still get kicked off...

El Crapio
El Crapio Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: DQed from Nature in a man made world.

I would guess it has to do with the rabbit using the cage to its advantage. The "safe from the foxes" title isn't communicated through the photo, it just looks like a caged rabbit...

edit: by that definition there are some other entries that don't fit the challenge from what I can see. Maybe the challenge is not worded properly, cause I can't see the advantage in some of these photos. Nature taking over man made things is not the same thing, as taking advantage.

RuthC
RuthC Contributing Member • Posts: 614

ConanFuji wrote:

Titled: Safe from the Foxes

....... followed the challenge title to the letter, yet still get kicked off...

Here are the words I used to ConanFuji when I DQ'd his entry.

'Sorry to DQ your interesting entry, but it really doesn't meet the subject definition of the challenge. Here, man has adopted the care of the rabbit, and it has not had a lot of choice where it lived. This challenge is mainly for macro shots or close-ups of insects, spiders, and plants using man-made objects or structures to their advantage. You may enter another photo in the challenge if you wish. Ruth'

His entry isn't the only one I've had to DQ. So far, the count is 28, and rising. I am well aware that there are a number of entries which may be/ should be/ could be DQ'd, but I figure life is too short to get too distressed about it. I'm also aware of language barriers in some of the entries, so I've tried to be lenient.

If ConanFuji feels so upset about his DQ, perhaps he should have contacted me personally....

Ruth

Skylane Contributing Member • Posts: 739

I see why you DQ'd this entry. Just to be picky, is a rabbit an insect, a spideer or a plant?

-- hide signature --

Charlie

OP (unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214

Skylane wrote:

I see why you DQ'd this entry. Just to be picky, is a rabbit an insect, a spideer or a plant?

Charlie, it is a 'small creature.' the size of the pigeons, squirrels and even small monkeys

RuthC
RuthC Contributing Member • Posts: 614

The entry has been reinstated, and the voters will be able to judge whether it fits their idea of a macro or close-up shot of nature taking advantage of our man-made world.

Should I also reinstate the two landscape sunsets, a tall apartment block, and (wait for it) two glacé cherries on a chocolate cake! Not joking!!

Ruth

OP (unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214

RuthC wrote:

The entry has been reinstated, and the voters will be able to judge whether it fits their idea of a macro or close-up shot of nature taking advantage of our man-made world.

Should I also reinstate the two landscape sunsets, a tall apartment block, and (wait for it) two glacé cherries on a chocolate cake! Not joking!!

Ruth

Thank you, mission accomplished.

Should you reinstate those?  id suggest you wait till the very end of voting.  If theirs are above mine, dq em i say...

Mike Ronesia
Mike Ronesia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,042

ConanFuji wrote:

Should you reinstate those? id suggest you wait till the very end of voting. If theirs are above mine, dq em i say...

LOL.

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma sd Quattro +13 more
DuaneV
DuaneV Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

There are a LOT of photos in there that don't meet the "rules", in my opinion.  The rules are very specific.  Personally I don't think the rabbit in a cage meets the rules, but hey, what do I know.

amosf
amosf Contributing Member • Posts: 680

"In this challenge, show us an example where nature, such as plants, insects, spiders or other small creatures, has used a man-made object to its advantage. Macro or close-ups only, and outside in the natural world if possible. Large trees such as those growing at Ta Prohn in Cambodia will be DQ'd. SIZE: 1,600px MAXIMUM ON LONGER SIDE."

How could anyone think a rabbit is a cage was following the challenge to the letter?

Interesting interpretation. lol.

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
trulandphoto
trulandphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 857

DuaneV wrote:

There are a LOT of photos in there that don't meet the "rules", in my opinion. The rules are very specific. Personally I don't think the rabbit in a cage meets the rules, but hey, what do I know.

Right. If the macro or closeup only suggestion is taken seriously there aren't that many that comply.

But, as that's in the description not the rules...

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +14 more
chrisby
chrisby Regular Member • Posts: 259

amosf wrote:

"In this challenge, show us an example where nature, such as plants, insects, spiders or other small creatures, has used a man-made object to its advantage. Macro or close-ups only, and outside in the natural world if possible. Large trees such as those growing at Ta Prohn in Cambodia will be DQ'd. SIZE: 1,600px MAXIMUM ON LONGER SIDE."

How could anyone think a rabbit is a cage was following the challenge to the letter?

Maybe the rabbit (which is of course a small creature in comparison with an elephant) fled from a snake. It saved itself in the cage and shut the door. Wouldn't that be a use of a man-made object to its advantage?

chrisby's gear list:chrisby's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G3 X Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 40D +6 more
Harveydad Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

Way to go, Ruth.....It is good to see a Host be 'in charge' and make decisions, and then stand by them, no matter the slings and arrows.  The challenges are not life and death situations, they are primarily entertainment through which we get to view what other non-professionals are doing, and perhaps learn something.  We need more hosts like you, and I say: Thanks!

-- hide signature --

POGO was right !

trulandphoto
trulandphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 857

chrisby wrote:

amosf wrote:

Maybe the rabbit (which is of course a small creature in comparison with an elephant) fled from a snake. It saved itself in the cage and shut the door. Wouldn't that be a use of a man-made object to its advantage?

And, compared to a scenic of the Grand Canyon, it's a close-up.

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +14 more
RaptorUK Veteran Member • Posts: 3,266

Harveydad wrote:

Way to go, Ruth.....It is good to see a Host be 'in charge' and make decisions, and then stand by them, no matter the slings and arrows. The challenges are not life and death situations, they are primarily entertainment through which we get to view what other non-professionals are doing, and perhaps learn something. We need more hosts like you, and I say: Thanks!

Perhaps you missed the later post where Ruth said . . .

"The entry has been reinstated,  . . . "

. . .  after the Entrant publicly whined about his invalid entry being DQed.

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . www.F1Album.com

RaptorUK's gear list:RaptorUK's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
El Crapio
El Crapio Forum Member • Posts: 76

chrisby wrote:

amosf wrote:

No, that's a different kind of rabbit.

Safe from Elmer Fudd

Harveydad Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

You are correct....I missed that post.

-- hide signature --

POGO was right !

Wildbegonia
Wildbegonia Contributing Member • Posts: 567

chrisby wrote:

amosf wrote:

LOL and laughing so hard that got tears, and it is 01h41am.  Great entertainment guys.

-- hide signature --

"Character,like a photograph, develops in darkness"

Wildbegonia's gear list:Wildbegonia's gear list
Pentax K200D
Wildbegonia

El Crapio wrote:

chrisby wrote:

amosf wrote:

No, that's a different kind of rabbit.

Safe from Elmer Fudd

-- hide signature --

It takes one to know one.. K-(

Pentax K200D
Wildbegonia

Harveydad wrote:

Way to go, Ruth.....It is good to see a Host be 'in charge' and make decisions, and then stand by them, no matter the slings and arrows. The challenges are not life and death situations, they are primarily entertainment through which we get to view what other non-professionals are doing, and perhaps learn something. We need more hosts like you, and I say: Thanks!

I can not agree more with you.  I like your comment. Unfortunately there are hosts that are so used to bend the rules at their capricious will that it becomes a second nature to them, and so they expect at some point to be exempt  from them too.   --

Pentax K200D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads