Hover menus bust again

Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions
Alanis
Alanis Regular Member • Posts: 105
Hover menus bust again

Yet again DPR manage to break something. The hover menus right at the top don't work today, and are now merely links. This happened only 2 weeks ago. I do wish they would stop fiddling about with the site, you never know what's going to work from one day to the next recently. iMac, Chrome and Safari.

TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re: Hover menus bust again

Yep, drop down menu,s ,on menu bar not working at all again.
with IE8 or 9

Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,250
Plus ......

TITCHY wrote:

Yep, drop down menu,s ,on menu bar not working at all again.
with IE8 or 9

AND .... I have been getting blank white pages up (trying to read messages and access some other forums) with this on:

The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome geniearse, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277

Alleg1 Contributing Member • Posts: 929

Alanis wrote:

Yet again DPR manage to break something. The hover menus right at the top don't work today, and are now merely links. This happened only 2 weeks ago. I do wish they would stop fiddling about with the site, you never know what's going to work from one day to the next recently. iMac, Chrome and Safari.

That's no big deal it's just one extra click of the mouse...why not show a little patience?

Too many posters on this site carp on about minor issues, in my view.

Alleg1's gear list:Alleg1's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Olympus E-510
Alanis
OP Alanis Regular Member • Posts: 105

Alleg1 wrote:

That's no big deal it's just one extra click of the mouse...why not show a little patience?

Too many posters on this site carp on about minor issues, in my view.

Like your missing avatar? They seem to have gone too.

Minor issue, perhaps, but in my view if you have one of the biggest websites there is, it's your responsibility not to fool about with it and constantly break it. Users expect to be able to hover and get a popup; today they can't.

Now waiting for some cave dweller to tell me to ask for my money back .....

Art Guertin Regular Member • Posts: 160
Relax a little

Just use the forum link right above the message threads - it's drop down so aren't really missing anything, except perhaps a reason to raise your blood pressure.
--

'There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit.'
-Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

Art Guertin's gear list:Art Guertin's gear list
Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Canon Pixma Pro9500
ju_ju
ju_ju Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Re: Relax a little

Can someone explain how to get into the challenges without the drop down menu?
Thanks in advance.
No worries problem sorted. The only way appears through profile.

ju_ju's gear list:ju_ju's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +25 more
JFMoore Regular Member • Posts: 313
Re: Hover is irrelevant for finger driven devices

Alanis wrote:

Users expect to be able to hover and get a popup; today they can't.

Except the ones using ipads and smartphones, where there IS no hover. We can expect a lot more of this in the future, broken functionality for the desktop (and pen-driven tablets where you CAN actually hover), with the growing emphasis on web development for small devices with poor functionality. Obviously they can do device and browser detection and have multiple sites (not to mention apps) but that takes more work. I'm surprised more sites haven't blown up all the navigation to finger size. Come to think of it, this is pretty much microsoft's strategy for Windows 8.

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 5,014

fixed.
--
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
Alanis
OP Alanis Regular Member • Posts: 105

Simon Joinson wrote:

fixed.

why bust?

Simon Joinson
Simon Joinson dpreview Admin • Posts: 5,014

Alanis wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

fixed.

why bust?

We're deploying something new on monday and we (actually that should be 'I') accidentally broke something while testing it.
--
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D750 +23 more
Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

Simon Joinson wrote:

Alanis wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote:

fixed.

why bust?

We're deploying something new on monday and we (actually that should be 'I') accidentally broke something while testing it.
--
Simon Joinson, Editor
dpreview.com

Well at least he's honest.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,250

Simon Joinson wrote:

Simon says ..... and he's not afraid to admit he done diddid it!

Thanks for the feedback. It is certainly working fine as I tripe this.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome geniearse, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!

LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277

sojo2 Forum Member • Posts: 69
Which browser are you using?

as I posted on another thread about photos not displaying properly:

For me, on Firefox (Version 14.1) neither the drop down menus nor the display of photos is working. However Internet Explorer and Chrome both are displaying everything normally, so at least for me it seems there is some incompatibility between the site and Firefox, which is annoying as it is my preferred browser.

sojo2's gear list:sojo2's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
benfriesen Junior Member • Posts: 32

Hello DPReview staff and all,

Firefox on my iMac has been having trouble with this site for a long time now - several months. First I could not use the comparison widgets, then I don't have the drop downs or scrolling topics on the home page and most recently I don't have the ability to see the pictures embedded in the threads. Last night I (still on FF13) did not see the preview and also couldn't post using Firefox. I'm hoping this will work (I still can't see the preview below) - if it does, at least that one is ruled out. Otherwise, I'll have to post from another browser. Frustrating.

Can some smart web developer advise us why Firefox has trouble running the DPReview site? What is wrong? It is pretty unacceptable for such a visually rich site to not work properly on the major browser out there by all surveys I've seen.

I'm not upset, but maybe the facts are blunt enough that it seems that way. I prefer Firefox, but functionality at this site is getting less and less for me and constantly switching browsers is not a better user experience.

Thanks for listening and providing any feedback you can.

Ben
FF14 now, but I've been keeping up-to-date all along.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads