Bag/case to use with blackrapid straps?

Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions
Luispm Forum Member • Posts: 88
Bag/case to use with blackrapid straps?

Hello,

When I'm on vacation I like to take only the camera and blackrapid strap. Problem is when for example I go to a restaurant, bar or I'm not taking photos for a while as I feel the camera is not protected.

Does anyone know if there is a bag or protective case I can use at the same time as the blackrapid? I don't know maybe a bag that allows the use of the connector, or that can be put around the camera while hanging from the strap?
Thank you!

Digetydog
Digetydog Senior Member • Posts: 1,461
Re: Bag/case to use with blackrapid straps?

I have a Black Rapid strap on my D7000. Normally, both live in my Crumpler bag when I am not using it. I like the bag because it has room for other stuff to my my travels easier.

This Spring, I took my d7k with a 18-200mm vr2 to th Masters golf tournament. They are Very Particular about the size bag you are allowed to bring in. All bags had to be very small.

Although I planned to shoot all day, I wanted to be able to protect it and/or put it away from time to time. With a hand towel at the bottom of an empty fanny pack sized bag, they fit like a charm and I was able to get the bag in. When we stopped at a restaurant on the way back to a hotel, people were not able to tell I had $2k worth of equipment with me.

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
OP Luispm Forum Member • Posts: 88

There's an idea

I've been looking for a proper case that fits the camera while hanging from the strap but I couldnt find any...

Mr. Cool Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Check this out for a leather camera holster. I use mine without the lid and when not carrying the camera I strap it to my Tripod. Works great. It is expensive but I bought mine without the lid so that helped.
http://www.skytoptrading.com/

Mr. Cool's gear list:Mr. Cool's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 18-300 F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS | C Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
cerberusjf Regular Member • Posts: 350

I use one of these for a D5100 + 18-105 lens, which is a snug fit.

http://opteka.com/cslr60.aspx

I attach its loop to a belt loop on my trousers so the bag hangs rather unsightly by my leg when it's not in use. But otherwise it covers the camera well enough and stops it getting bumped or scratched. It is also light and small, which was what I was looking for. It woudn't protect the camera from a fall though.

There is a larger size of this case if you need.

I like those neoprene cases... Problem is that I want to use it hanging from the blackrapid strap and the only way would be to drill a hole through the neoprene to attach the blackrapid connector... And I rather not make holes...
Thanks anyway

TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
The Solution...

Luispm wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a bag or protective case I can use at the same time as the blackrapid? I don't know maybe a bag that allows the use of the connector, or that can be put around the camera while hanging from the strap?

There are many types that do that.
Here is an example.

I used to use something similar way back in the film days.

You can unbutton the the larger single button of the outer half, fold it up and over the front of your lens, and let it hang while you shoot pics.... and you can screw your Black Rapid into the tripod mounting hole, I would assume. The outermost half of the case can snap right off too if you unsnap all 3 snaps.

Here is a different version with outer cover unsnapped:

(not my auction, just for reference, a cheaper version... search for others)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leather-Camera-case-bag-cover-for-NIkon-D7000-/160644256551?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item256724d327

Avoid neoprene... there is no protection in those.
--
Look at the bright side... Whitney Houston is 5 months sober !

bluenoser23
bluenoser23 Senior Member • Posts: 2,032

Hi.

I just came back from a vacation in Nova Scotia and spent many hours roaming around with my D700 with either a 70-200 2.8 or 24-70 2.8 attached to a BlackRapid RS-Sport. On the other shoulder I had either a ThinkTank Retrospective 20 (when I wanted to carry another lens or other things) or ThinkTank Digital Holster if just using one lens the whole day.

It was a very comfortable set-up and worked great! When I wanted to grab something to eat, etc. I would just unclip the lens from the BR strap and pop it into the bag. Very convenient. I know it's not exactly what you have described however I wanted to throw it out there for your consideration.

Here are the links to the 2 different bags I alternated in conjunction with my BR-RS sport:

TT Retrospective 20:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-20-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

TT Digital Holster V 2.0 (they come in various sizes - I use one of the larger models)
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-50-v2.aspx

-- hide signature --

James

bluenoser23's gear list:bluenoser23's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot A95 Nikon D7000 +13 more
cerberusjf Regular Member • Posts: 350

I like the look of the Think Tank holsters very much, they were on my short list when looking for a case. The fact that they were modular was a big plus, I like to carry as little as possible. I was also considering the Kata PL Access holsters because of the easy access down the side, but I may well go for a Think Tank holster after the reminder that neoprene doesn't give any protection.

Thanks for reminding me of these cases

Turbinator Regular Member • Posts: 199

bluenoser23 wrote:

It was a very comfortable set-up and worked great! When I wanted to grab something to eat, etc. I would just unclip the lens from the BR strap and pop it into the bag. Very convenient. I know it's not exactly what you have described however I wanted to throw it out there for your consideration.

This is what I have been doing - unhooking and putting the camera away in my Lowepro Computrekker when I'm not using the camera. Not exactly the most convenient, but it works for protection and storage.

Turby

Re: The Solution...

I've taken a look to those cases and they could be what I'm looking for.

I would prefer a more "modern" look but for 20$ I can afford the risk of not liking it
Thank you!

Xiaosong New Member • Posts: 10
Re: The Solution...

I'm actually in the same position that you are. I like using my black rapid strap but don't want to carry around my crumpler 5MDH if I just plan on shooting with my 35mm prime. I don't mind it hanging by my side as I'm walking about in NYC, but when we go to a restaurant, I would want it to be covered by something.

I think I'm going to check out the Domke wraps, the 15inch or 19inch, as they seem to fold up pretty nicely so I can either carry it in my pocket or ask my wife to stash it in her purse when we are walking around. Once we get to the restaurant, I can just wrap up the camera+lens and place it on the table or something.

If you get the leather case, please post some pictures and let us know how useful/easy it is to use with the black rapid.

mabellucyhays Forum Member • Posts: 50

Did u ever come up with anything  that worked?

i am using the carryspeed neoprene pouch for now but it's awkward and weird when take the camera out of it. I don't want to carry a pouch for my pouch

i actually called and asked them and they said a lot of people ask and they are thinking about trying to come up with something.

I'm about to give up on my black rapid strap (which I love) because of this.

mabellucyhays's gear list:mabellucyhays's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +2 more
Sepisto New Member • Posts: 16

Digetydog wrote:

I have a Black Rapid strap on my D7000. Normally, both live in my Crumpler bag when I am not using it. I like the bag because it has room for other stuff to my my travels easier.

This is an old thread, but I got a BlackRapid strap a year ago and since then I've been trying to find a small protective case that I could use without removing the strap. Based on pictures, S or M size Crumpler Haven might work for me. I haven't found it from Europe, though.

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595

I commonly use BlackRapid along with a LowePro Flipside 200 backpack.    The BR strap goes on first, then I put on shoulder straps of the Flipside OVER the strap, but route the belt of the pack under the BR strap.  I can still easily slide the camera up and down the strap for shooting.   I can also easily slip off my right shoulder strap and swing the backpack around my left side in order to change lenses or otherwise access bag contents.  If I want to put the camera away for a while, I unclip it from the strap and put it into backpack.

Robert111 Regular Member • Posts: 422

Check out Think Tank Mirrorless Mover bags especially the 30

Robert111's gear list:Robert111's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +11 more
Sepisto New Member • Posts: 16

I looked into quite a lot of different options. Some of the so-called camera inserts are quite close to what I was looking for. Ended up buying Lowepro Nova Sport 7L AW. I haven't used it yet, but it seems to work for me. It's small, but fits my A7 and the 16-35 and 55 mm lenses. I don't intent to use the shoulder strap that came with the Lowepro. There's no zipper, but a clip, so I can route the BlackRapid strap around the lid. Or I can put the camera with the BlackRapid into the Lowepro and the Lowepro into my backpack.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads