Fully articulated screen?

Started Feb 2, 2012 | Discussions
harry2007 Regular Member • Posts: 384
Fully articulated screen?

When I read a spec of LCD on camera, it said "fully articulated screen".

What does it mean?

What's the difference compare to "non-articulated"?

Thanks.

sherwoodpete
sherwoodpete Veteran Member • Posts: 7,767
Re: Fully articulated screen?

harry2007 wrote:

When I read a spec of LCD on camera, it said "fully articulated screen".

What does it mean?

What's the difference compare to "non-articulated"?

Thanks.

It means the screen is hinged and can move in all directions. like this for example:

Larger: http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/Samsungtl500/images/LCD.jpg

Some LCD screens have a single hinge, to tilt up and down. Many are fixed permanently flat on the body of the camera (non-articulated).

Regards,
Peter

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595

'Non-articulated' means fixed screen - one that does not move at all.

Exactly what constitutes 'fully articulated' as opposed to 'partially articulated' varies by manufacturer. For example, Sony NEX5 LCD can only tilt up or down (IIRC). That would be 'partially articulated'. LCD on Canon T3i can be flipped out and turned down, up, or full 180 to face same way as camera. If that is not 'fully articulated', that's a lot closer to it than NEX5

Then again, I understand that Sony A77 LCD is even more articulated...

Wally626 Senior Member • Posts: 2,313

I assume fully articulated means it can be adjusted on at least two axis. Like the example shown it can fold in and out and rotate. The A77 screen folds out and up and rotates. It has three hinge points as apposed to the normal two. A lot of the reason for three hinges is because Sony wanted the screen to be seen from the front but not fold to the side to do so. The screen shown above can also be seen from the front by folding out and twisting. The Sony has to fold out, fold up, and twist. not sure if they thought their design is better or just that the did not want to pay license rights for the other version. I assume somebody has it patented.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads