Who need Nikon F1 When there is NEX and Micro 4/3

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions
ms18
ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Who need Nikon F1 When there is NEX and Micro 4/3

You may say Phase detection in compact size.
But what about C3 with manual focusing with active peaking technology

That rocks..

Compact is good but if you have big sensor in compact that is well desired

ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
ms18
OP ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Not F1 nikon 1 System

Sorry

ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Edwaste Senior Member • Posts: 1,036
Re: Who need Nikon F1 When there is NEX and Micro 4/3

Well, all I can do and sit back and have the last laugh.

Since the release of the 4:3 and m4:3 format, Nikon users have been parroting the disadvantages of small sensor size and EVF viewfinders and ramming those talking points into our eyeballs.

Now Nikon has their "me too !" entry into mirrorless...with even a SMALLER sensor size!
Olympus (and Panasonic) must now feel validated.

Edwaste's gear list:Edwaste's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 II +2 more
duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,612

Not me.
The lenses are neither small nor fast.
--
Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
GeorgeD200 Regular Member • Posts: 403

As a user of the Nikon D700 and Olympus EP-1 ( as well as many other cameras) I can say that the Nikon 1 will replace neither of them -- but I don't think it was intended to.

I think Nikon is trying to transition people from high-end compacts, like the G12 and LX-5 into IL cameras. I think this is clear by their choice of sensor size. What cameras doesn't it beat in sensor size? m4/3 and NEX, APS-C, etc. What does it beat? Almost any "compact" camera on the market.

Would I buy a J1 with kit lens over a Canon G12? Quite possibly. I might even be talked into the 10mm f2.8 by a good salesman. Would I choose it over a D3100? No. Not if image quality was a concern.

I think it's clear. Nikon didn't design this to compete with m4/3, NEX or APS-C. They designed to compete with the high-end compacts. It'll beat the pants of a P500 or D7100!

Edymagno Veteran Member • Posts: 3,607

How can you compete at twice the price? Besides the lenses are too big. Definitely not pocketable. Nikon 1 is just another niche creation that will increase the ridiculous amount of sub-forums at dpreview

I'd buy the J1/kit lens for $500. At the asking price m43 sounds light-years better. I bet it's going to be success in Japan. I don't see it for Latin America, way too expensive.

I thought Nikon was going smaller than 4/3 because they found the right size for small lenses-big sensor compromise. Apparently this was not what they were looking for.
Eduardo

Edymagno's gear list:Edymagno's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
mcabato Senior Member • Posts: 2,154

a nikkor 2.8/300 flanged to a N1 with crop 2.7 might be an excellent expereience for birding.

and crop 2.7 will give me as oly-user the chance to laugh at nikon users because of their small sensor :-))))))))

go, trink a beer an relax. no doubts - my laughter is guaranteed (but also my jealosy about 2.8/300 with crop 2.7)

rgds gusti

mcabato's gear list:mcabato's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +15 more
Franklin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,339
Those die hard Nikon fans with too much money and very little talent.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Nikon film SLRs and DSLRs.

But this 1 system makes no sense at all.

ms18 wrote:

That rocks..

Andy Crowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,587
Manual focus isn't appropriate for every situation

Manual focus assists do rock, but so does having fast AF, which is why Sony's SLT cameras have made such a splash.

sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,402
Funny how people forget the Samsung NX

Better glass quality and selection than NEX, better sensor than 12MP m43 (and pretty close to the 16MP).

The NX10 and NX100 can be had for peanuts right now, and they turn out excellent images, even at higher ISO (as long as you go RAW). The NX200 is priced the same as the E-P3 and has a 20MP sensor that looks to rival the NEX-7's...

Samsung may not be a big PR player like the others and the APS-C the first gen models used may have been a little older than the Sonys, but they make a solid camera and the lens selection is just about to get twice as big with the 16mm 2.4, 60mm macro, 85mm 1.4 and 18-200mm all before the end of the year... Maybe the 16-80mm, as well.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II
Tom Christiansen Senior Member • Posts: 2,239
Re: Those die hard Nikon fans with too much money and very little talent.

Franklin wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I loved Nikon film SLRs and DSLRs.

But this 1 system makes no sense at all.

No, no, no: it makes a world of sense.

• Provides for revenue growth despite the sagging and saturated SLR market and the lackluster but supercompetitive low-margined compact market.

• Provides something that won't be killed by cell phones with 1/1.8" sensors.

• Plugs a gaping hole in the sensor size graph, which means it's a new market without any competition.

• Translates one-time-only buyers of $500 compacts into buyers of the 1-system, with all its higher-margin accessories. This cannot possibly be understated. You have people buying once and coming back for more, instead of buying once and going away.

• Introduces new features seen nowhere else before: phase-detect autofocus for the fastest autofocuser out there, incredible 240P/400 and 120P/1200, full 10mp shots at 60 FPS.

• Provides a roadmap for the future with all kinds of nifty lenses and gadgets.

This is a full system, and it’s revolutionary. It fully deserves the "1" moniker, just as the F1 and D1 did.

No, it isn't for wedding photographers. That is completely irrelevant. Plus Nikon would go broke if they sold only to wedding photographers.

This is a brilliant move from Nikon, simply brilliant. In the long run it may be even more important to their bottom line than the D3 was. Mark my words.

-- hide signature --

tom
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
colicky, havocker, picnicky, plasticky, panicking, picnicking,
panicky, magicked, colicking, picnicked, bivouacking,
colicked, mimicked, frolicked, picnicker, demosaicked ,
garlicky, mimicker, havocking, bivouacked, demosaicker ,
havocked, panicked, mimicking, frolicking, demosaicking .

TrojMacReady
TrojMacReady Veteran Member • Posts: 8,729
Re: Funny how people forget the Samsung NX

sensibill wrote:

Better glass quality and selection than NEX, better sensor than 12MP m43 (and pretty close to the 16MP).

Sounds like you did some thorough testing to conclude the above.

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,795
here is another way of looking at this

ms18 wrote:

The Nikon does not need manual focusing because F mount lenses are 100% compatible autofocus wise

That rocks..

which rocks even more because the £250 ponds tack sharp new Nikon 40mm f2.8 Macro turns into a £250 lightweight tack sharp 105mm autofocusing Macro on the 1 series, what would that cost on a Nex?

Believe it or not the Nikon has a lower pixel density than the newest Sony Nex camera so the Nikon should have as good if not better dynamic range and low light capability . The only advantage the Nex has is more resolution and frankly 10mp is all anyone needs for A3 printing so what really is the benefit of the Nex?

-- hide signature --

Z5 V10 F11 F70 F200 S6500 S100 EX1 D40

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
binary_eye Veteran Member • Posts: 4,290
Re: Those die hard Nikon fans with too much money and very little talent.

Tom Christiansen wrote:

• Plugs a gaping hole in the sensor size graph, which means it's a new market without any competition.

The majority of people don't shop for cameras by sensor size. Camera markets are generally based on the ratio of cost/size to capability/quality. This system will compete directly with micro four-thirds and, to a lesser degree, Sony's NEX.

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,791
Photo of V1 next to m4/3

Whew! The Nikon isn't small at all:

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

TrojMacReady
TrojMacReady Veteran Member • Posts: 8,729
Not really.

Wellington100 wrote:

Believe it or not the Nikon has a lower pixel density than the newest Sony Nex camera so the Nikon should have as good if not better dynamic range and low light capability . The only advantage the Nex has is more resolution and frankly 10mp is all anyone needs for A3 printing so what really is the benefit of the Nex?

You're wrong on both accounts. The new Nikon cameras have a pixeldensity of the euivalent of 31.7MP on APS-C. Compare that to the 24MP of the NEX 7.

Second, you're neglecting the difference in the amount of pixels. A larger sensor, or more equally sized pixels means more dynamic range and better light performance. If the V1 and J1 approach the quantum efficiency per area of a D3S sensor, they would still be more than a stop behind the NEX7 sensor.

binary_eye Veteran Member • Posts: 4,290
Re: Not really.

TrojMacReady wrote:

A larger sensor, or more equally sized pixels means more dynamic range and better light performance.

That's assuming the same sensor technology. For example, at base ISO, the D7000 has more dynamic range than the D700. That said, it's unlikely the sensor technology of the V1/J1 is much different than the recent NEXs.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

TrojMacReady wrote:

sensibill wrote:

Sounds like you did some thorough testing to conclude the above.

Presumably TrojMacReady you do not believe Samsung NX owners are entitled to an opinion or point of view either.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,489
Re: Photo of V1 next to m4/3

Doesnt exactly make it big, either. It will be sturdy though:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=39408069

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,402

I've owned three m43 cameras as well as a D100, D90, D3100 and D5000. You could say I've done some testing... And of course there's the testing available from IR, DPR, etc.

Or were you intimating that one needs to conduct hands-on controlled tests of every lens and every body to come to my conclusions?

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads