OM 250mm f2.0

Started Nov 10, 2009 | Discussions
AlbertSiegel
AlbertSiegel Contributing Member • Posts: 589
OM 250mm f2.0

I was wondering just how rare the OM 250mm f2.0 is and what it would be worth? I might be able to buy one and do not really want to over pay. Has anyone used it? How well does it perform? Any known issues with this lens?

AlbertSiegel's gear list:AlbertSiegel's gear list
Olympus C-3040 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P50 Casio Exilim EX-G1 Pentax Optio LS465 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +39 more
Bootstrap Forum Pro • Posts: 20,999
Re: OM 250mm f2.0

OT
Hello Albert.

I hope all is well. I don't have an answer to your question but I'm certain someone will.
Your former L1 is now IR dedicated and I've picked up a 2nd for regular use.

Bill Turner

Jean Ulrich Brer
Jean Ulrich Brer Regular Member • Posts: 420

No idea about average collector's or street price, but i saw a site where a seller of om lenses asked 2800 usd for his copy:

http://www.rlux.com/Olympus_Zuiko_Zeiss_Pentax.htm

Ulli

Jean Ulrich Brer's gear list:Jean Ulrich Brer's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH
Skip Williams Contributing Member • Posts: 810

I had one of those mythical white monsters many years ago paired with a 350/2.8 for sports shooting. The 250/2.0 is probably one of the best lenses ever made, up there with the Leica Apo-Telyt-R Modular system in performance and certainly the equal or superior of any Canon or Nikon glass.

Olympus America was selling off their stock of demo units about 5-6 years ago and I think that the 250 and 350 both went for somewhere around $2,000 at the time. The 180/2 was less, but the 250 and 350 both seem to be comparable in price. $2,800, as mentioned by another poster, isn't out of line. Kevin Cameras has a 350 on Ebay for $6,250, but that's for an early, all-black lens and his prices are historically VERY high.

Issues? None except the weight, which is 8.6 pounds. The white coating tends to flake off also, so most used examples will have some wear to the coating.

Olympus esif image

Skip

AlbertSiegel wrote:

I was wondering just how rare the OM 250mm f2.0 is and what it would be worth? I might be able to buy one and do not really want to over pay. Has anyone used it? How well does it perform? Any known issues with this lens?

AlbertSiegel
OP AlbertSiegel Contributing Member • Posts: 589

Hi Bill! Nice to hear from you. Glad to know the camera is doing well. I like the idea of the conversion you did to it. Do you have any samples online I can view? I somewhat miss that camera. I thought about buying one not too long ago but held off since I am unsure where I will be in the next six months (planning a move back to Japan).

I did browse the other forum and was thinking of picking up a 510/520 with a 14-54 & 50-200 mk I for a small and light take everywhere system, but no deals caught my attention. Too bad I missed out on that 50mm sale on Amazon.

Are you ever down south? There might be a trip out to the everglades in the works very soon if you're interested. Just a few of us going for some photos. Two trips are planned... one day and one at night (astronomy thing) you are invited to.

Jean and Skip, thanks so much. Very helpful.

AlbertSiegel's gear list:AlbertSiegel's gear list
Olympus C-3040 Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P50 Casio Exilim EX-G1 Pentax Optio LS465 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +39 more
Bootstrap Forum Pro • Posts: 20,999

AlbertSiegel wrote:

Hi Bill! Nice to hear from you. Glad to know the camera is doing well. I like the idea of the conversion you did to it. Do you have any samples online I can view? I somewhat miss that camera. I thought about buying one not too long ago but held off since I am unsure where I will be in the next six months (planning a move back to Japan).

Some of my IR stuff is here: http://www.pbase.com/wmdt131/ir_photos
The earlier photos were done with a modified E-500.

I did browse the other forum and was thinking of picking up a 510/520 with a 14-54 & 50-200 mk I for a small and light take everywhere system, but no deals caught my attention. Too bad I missed out on that 50mm sale on Amazon.

That's a great idea. I was able to get a 50-200 mk 1 at an excellent price and really like it.

Are you ever down south? There might be a trip out to the everglades in the works very soon if you're interested. Just a few of us going for some photos. Two trips are planned... one day and one at night (astronomy thing) you are invited to.

Could be interesting. Keep me posted.

Jean and Skip, thanks so much. Very helpful.

-- hide signature --

Bill Turner

toklat Forum Member • Posts: 52

Albert,

I own the old manual-focus Zuiko 350/2.8. According to published reports, NASA tested then selected the Zuiko 250/2 for earth-observation photography during shuttle missions. Their tests determined it to be the sharpest telephoto lens they had ever tested at that time. It's only drawback is the weight. If you can find a well-preserved specimen for a good price, buy it. Optically, that lens is as good any manual-focus telephoto ever made. I use my old Zuiko 350 regularly on my E-510 and it outperforms all of my newer Zuiko E-System zoom lenses. I do not own nor have I ever compared it to the image quality produced by the ED 150 or ED 300 lenses. I'm sure those new auto-focus lenses with digital-specific design would win a shootout but their prices are way beyond my reach these days. So I'm happy to manually focus with my 350. I find that I pay more attention to composition with manual focus lenses and I typically end up with a higher percentage of keepers.
Mark

toklat's gear list:toklat's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads