s90 iContrast

Started Oct 17, 2009 | Discussions
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
s90 iContrast

iContrast seems to work very effectively in bright, contrasty light. I take a lot of photos outside in the sun, so it's a feature I plan to use.

What are others experiences with the s90 iContrast setting?

For the sample photos, camera settings were all the same except for iContrast:

ShirleyKat Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Re: s90 iContrast

I like what it did to the highlights but not the shadows. If the car is the subject, the lightened shadows just popped out more in the second one, taking away from the subject.

rkhndjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,082

Considering the subject, I think it did a great job. Handy.
--

OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097

ShirleyKat wrote:

I like what it did to the highlights but not the shadows. If the car is the subject, the lightened shadows just popped out more in the second one, taking away from the subject.

That's an excellent point.

I should have pointed out these are rather large crops. Tomorrow I'll try to post the full image, where the improvement due to iContrast is more noticeable, at least to me.

ManofDestiny Regular Member • Posts: 160

Note that this feature is not available if just shooting in RAW only.
--
-- Terry

ManofDestiny's gear list:ManofDestiny's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6000
richardalanfox
richardalanfox Regular Member • Posts: 244

I guess best case would be to shoot with i-contrast on and RAW + JPEG.
I will try that tomorrow.
--
http://richardalanfox.com

vincentnyc Senior Member • Posts: 2,585
Respectfully...

ShirleyKat wrote:

Respectfully, I believe the point of this post is to illustrate the technical capabilities/benefits of the iContrast feature, and not the artistic merit of using iContrast in this one particular framing of this automobile.

vincentnyc's gear list:vincentnyc's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Jazzter Junior Member • Posts: 44

I've heard i-Contrast can be used later on. So, the best is to take photos iContrast off, and applying later if necessary. Then you will have more time to check if it is better.

The bottomline is, that the iContrast function is only a post processing, and does nothing at the exposure. Therefore you can get even better result from the RAW with PS.

Jazzter wrote:

I've heard i-Contrast can be used later on. So, the best is to take photos iContrast off, and applying later if necessary. Then you will have more time to check if it is better.

Yes, it can be applied during review of images in playback mode.

The bottomline is, that the iContrast function is only a post processing, and does nothing at the exposure. Therefore you can get even better result from the RAW with PS.

I personally rarely shoot RAW. I agree, it's better not to apply to the original photos.

I haven't played yet with the images except for resizing and cropping, so I'm not sure which would process better: a photo with or without icontrast. I edit all my photos so I'm not sure either if this feature is more beneficial for those who do not.

I've put up two sample snapshots that have only been slightly cropped and resized, not otherwise edited:

http://www.pbase.com/gailb/icontrast

Re: Respectfully...

vincentnyc wrote:

ShirleyKat wrote:

Respectfully, I believe the point of this post is to illustrate the technical capabilities/benefits of the iContrast feature, and not the artistic merit of using iContrast in this one particular framing of this automobile.

You are correct. Unfortunately, my comparison shot did not tell the whole story because the images were cropped so much.

I've never had iContrast on a camera before so I was hoping I could get some insights from those who have used it.

sneakerpimp
sneakerpimp Senior Member • Posts: 1,089

Jazzter wrote:

I've heard i-Contrast can be used later on. So, the best is to take photos iContrast off, and applying later if necessary. Then you will have more time to check if it is better...

i'd prefer to use it this way as the manual states "image my appear course or may not be corrected properly".

sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M

sneakerpimp wrote:

Jazzter wrote:

I've heard i-Contrast can be used later on. So, the best is to take photos iContrast off, and applying later if necessary. Then you will have more time to check if it is better...

i'd prefer to use it this way as the manual states "image my appear course or may not be corrected properly".

I agree. No matter what the manual says, in some cases there is blown highlights. When I have time, I'm going to process an image with and without iContrast to see how each holds up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads