help me to choose between 135STF and 135ZA

Started Mar 2, 2009 | Discussions
Diversants Junior Member • Posts: 35
help me to choose between 135STF and 135ZA

Hi folks.

I got lucky and actually bought both of these fine lenses for a bargain price - 1600USD (well actuallly 1280EUR as I live in Europe in a country with 21% VAT) so basically I can say that I got them 2 for the price of 1. I also got the 1680ZA as well - there was a computer store trying to go into photo business but failed and now they were clearing the stocks (they had only 1 for each...).

I opened the boxes and tried the lenses - both 135s. The STF is really good at washing out backgrounds but only at some macro-like distances and for background situated some distance away. It does not wash out backgrouns for objests that are situated say more than 15m (45feet) away - the DOF is just too deep. I see that the 135ZA is actually similar (not the same - similar) at washing out backgrounds - so I am lost. And as the STF is concerned a different focusing screen is definetly needed (at least for me).

I think many of you would keep both but I am not sure because it is still a lot of money for me and my wife still does not know it (she is going to kill me - the usual story, you know...)

So I really need a help to choose one and by the way - what is the highest price any of you would be willing to pay for them? I might sell one (or even all) to you...

dkloi Senior Member • Posts: 1,952
Re: help me to choose between 135STF and 135ZA

I got lucky and actually bought both of these fine lenses for a
bargain price - 1600USD (well actuallly 1280EUR as I live in Europe
in a country with 21% VAT) so basically I can say that I got them 2
for the price of 1. I also got the 1680ZA as well - there was a
computer store trying to go into photo business but failed and now
they were clearing the stocks (they had only 1 for each...).

Nice luck.

I opened the boxes and tried the lenses - both 135s. The STF is
really good at washing out backgrounds but only at some macro-like
distances and for background situated some distance away. It does not
wash out backgrouns for objests that are situated say more than 15m
(45feet) away - the DOF is just too deep. I see that the 135ZA is
actually similar (not the same - similar) at washing out backgrounds

• so I am lost. And as the STF is concerned a different focusing

screen is definetly needed (at least for me).

Depends on how picky you are about bokeh (out of focus rendering). The STF lens maximises the quality of bokeh, not necessarily the amount of defocus. If all you want is maximum blur, the ZA lens is preferable, but if you want the best quality bokeh, the STF is your lens.

I think many of you would keep both but I am not sure because it is
still a lot of money for me and my wife still does not know it (she
is going to kill me - the usual story, you know...)

It all depends on what you'd use a 135mm lens for. For portrait use, I'd keep the STF. If it's for available light, handheld candid/street/stage photography etc, I'd keep the ZA.

Cheers,
Daniel.

dkloi's gear list:dkloi's gear list
Sony RX100 II Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony a5100 Sony a7 III Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +22 more
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,559
Re: help me to choose between 135STF and 135ZA

Easy
Pick the CZ first. and STF next time
--
Mark K
http://www.pbase.com/herbridgemo

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Sony a99 II +71 more
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,788
Tell your wife ...

they're twins and CANNOT be separated
--
AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
moire Senior Member • Posts: 1,886
Re: Tell your wife ...

If you don't know, you don't want the STF

-- hide signature --

A700 owner - Using the Cream machine - Minolta STF !

OP Diversants Junior Member • Posts: 35
If you could choose only one

which would you take? I think that by selling 135ZA on ebay I could basically have the STF for (almost) free but then I start thinking of not making a mistake...

My usual type of photography is well served by 2470ZA and 70300G and more seldom by Sigma12-24.

But I would like to play with portraiture, plants (including macro) and studio work - during that sale I also got the 100mm Macro 2,8 (for that I paid 440USD/340EUR) - I think I will keep that one. As a matter of fact I have A900.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads