A new camera helped me take better pictures with an old camera.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 2,223
A new camera helped me take better pictures with an old camera.

I moved from Lumix m43 to Sony FF, and I experienced a few things I had only read about:

1. f1.2 on FF can be REALLY difficult to get good focus.  On m43 this isn't that much of a concern because of the greater depth of field.

2. My FF set does produce better photos, but not overwhelmingly so until I go to wide focal lengths and fast apertures.

3. IBIS matters.

4. m43 is REALLY SMALL and LIGHTWEIGHT.

5. To get really good lenses in either system you are going to spend $1k or more retail.

6. m43 is really good for telephoto.
7. You can do a lot with post processing to make your m43 photos almost as good FF.

After seeing both sides of the coin, I could better spend it.  So I took a few pictures with the old GX85 and 20/1.7 and I have to tell you, this little camera is amazing, and really all I need.  That said I would probably miss the Sony 50GM (best photography experience I have ever had), but for every day situations all I would need would be this little gx85.
I know how to compose for bokeh, and for group shots, how to pay attention to the lighting, etc... and now that all of that can be put to good use, this GX85 is really an exceptional camera.  Itching to go back and play with my lenses and flashes.
Anyone else go back and "discover" how good their old cameras were?

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow