D500 consistently missing focus?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DocShaka New Member • Posts: 8
D500 consistently missing focus?

Hello all,

I finally created an account after years of shooting and figuring out most everything for myself. I consider myself a technically competent photographer but I am stumped with a recent problem I’ve had with my D500. I may not have noticed the focusing issue earlier because most of my photography revolves around long distance shots (D500 on the 200-500) of wildlife and rockets here in Florida. You can imagine I was quite surprised to take the 500 on a shorter lens to a dog park for some epic shots of my dog and find nearly every image out of focus. Below is a small sample of the issue but this is the case for every spray of 20-30 shots.

So far my trouble shooting has included running through every focus mode there is and even attempting to fine tune the AF which was pretty much dead on. Focusing is fine for stationary subjects. I also used my lenses on my D750 in same scenario to make sure that wasn’t the problem and it managed to nail focus as expected, albeit much slower.

It’s like focus is always 6” behind the eyes of moving subjects and it’s killing me. In this instance Samantha isn’t even running at me quickly. D500 is supposed to have a pretty amazing focus system right? Same as D5? What gives?

Does anyone have a suggestion for fixing the issue or should I just send it into Nikon ($350)?

Thanks for any info

Doc

Some other non symptomatic shots

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow