Use of Catalogs

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,313
Re: Use of Catalogs

Abbott Schindler wrote:

KCook wrote:

most DAM applications oare based on how the original files are organized on disk

The user may choose to organize his DAM that way. But I'm not so sure any DAMS do this by default.

With the couple of DAMs I've used, one points the software at the folder/subfolder structure to be cataloged, and the resulting DAM structure coincides with on-disk.

At least that was the way LR and Apple Aperture worked when I used them, and it's what Capture One Pro (which I now use) worked. Apple Photos, otoh, moves everything into its own "managed catalog" and organizes things in some "Apple proper" way that I find logical, but not very useful. I'm sure there are other DAMs that do other things.

If the DAM is opened in its Folder View, yes, you see the same old folders. But DAMS are really about Categories and Keywords, not folders. If you plan to ignore Categories and Keywords, then a DAM becomes pointless. Many RAW developers can preserve the edit history of a RAW file, even without a DAM.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow