Flat view
Tamelick New Member • Posts: 7
Wide prime lens (Oly 12mm vs Pana 15mm)

Hi all,

At the moment I have the following lenses on my EM5ii:

Panasonic 12-32 f/3.5-5.6

Panasonic 20 f/1.7

Olympus 14-150 f/4-5.6

The one I am using the least is the 12-32 as I find the 20mm more fun and achieving better results for general street photography (plus obviously indoor).  I use quite a lot the 14-150 particularly for wildlife or when hiking (and I want to carry one lens only).

As an additional lens for the near future, I was looking for another prime lens but wider. This would be mostly for astrophotography (instead of the 20mm I currently using) and landscapes and perhaps general street photography / indoor.

As options I was considering the Oly 12mm f/2, the Pana 14mm f/2.5 and the Pana 15mm f/1.7.

The 14mm is obviously the cheapest and smallest option, but aside for astro I understand that it wouldn't be much an upgrade from the 12-32 which is can go as wide. Also f/2.5 is not ideal for astro I think.

Any suggestion between the 12mm and the 15mm? There is an obvious difference in focal length which I need to give some more thought to. In that regard, I have the impression that the 12mm would be perhaps too wide for street photography (so I would end up using it only for astro) while the 15mm would be perhaps too close to the other prime I have (20mm), although I could sell that if I really wanted/needed.

Many thanks in advance

p.s. at this stage I have excluded the Samyang alternatives because of the lack of AF which I am not sure I would get used to outside of astro (and also due to size, to an extent)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow