Nikon 58mm f1.4 G -You'll either love it, or really hate it.....

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Nikon 58mm f1.4 G -You'll either love it, or really hate it.....

So I have and am very happy with my Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART - Brilliant lens, better than all the Nikon options at 50mm IMO..

I have had my eye on a 58mm f1.4 G for a while, more out of curiosity than anything.I will compare the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART with this 58mm f1.4 G at some point, in my own fashion and time, again out of curiosity more than anything...

I've taken about 200-300 shots with the 58mm over the last few days......

So the 58mm - I will say straight off the bat, you will either love it, or really hate it -

The CON's

- High amount of CA (green version, and hard to remove in post - on DXO Photolab anyway)

- Nailing focus is an ART - My hit rate is about 60-70% and I'd say I hit focus about 90-95% with say......The Sigma 50mm ART 1.4 @ 1.4

- The lens hood - plastic and pretty lacklustre for a $2000 AU + lens

The PRO's

- Build is great, yes its plastic which I doesn’t bother me, as it saves weight (except the lens hood)

- Weight and size - Its light, much lighter and smaller than the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART

- When you do hit focus, its beautiful - But not in a Sigma ART sharp way - Almost more natural looking, not over done

- Out of focus background / bokeh - Its just different..... Smooth looking, like really smooth - And the way it goes out of focus....... Its different....

For me, I really like the lens, BUT I did my research beforehand - I read early reviews and current day reviews of the lens - Its a lens that wont suit all shooting environments or people, unlike the Nikon and Sigma 50mm - Mine and from what I read, other also get a fair bit of CA at high levels - I don’t mind this as I see it as character in form.  When you view the phots, it doesn’t look 'all that sharp' - I know I’ve hit focus, but Nikon state this that sharpness isn’t the only or number one goal for this lens - So my research before hand helped me 'see through' this - I think sharpness is very nice, like I said above, its more natural looking, rather than SUPER sharp.....

I'm happy with the lens, I'm going to keep it and use it for years to come. Though, I can understand other may not like and don’t like it..

I think, you can't really like or dislike a lens, till you've tried it for yourself - We all see and interpret things differently. One can read charts and reviews, but...... You still need to try it yourself.....

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Prime lens • Nikon F (FX) • 2210
Announced: Oct 17, 2013
Timotis77's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow