Tricky macro photography: what went possibly wrong?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP aryalg Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: Tricky macro photography: what went possibly wrong?

RicksAstro wrote:

Good summary of the very typical challenges of macro photography. I think the responses have been great.

Thank you and this thread has received excellent responses. Hope it will also help other photographers who experience similar challenges.

Bug photography with a 50mm is quite difficult as well since you need to be so close. You often block some of the light with the lens/camera/body.

True. There is a risk of knocking the subject and causing movement. Bugs get scared. I wish there was a longer working distance at macro magnification. 90 mm and longer would be ideal for such scenario.

Stopping down to f8 or f11 is pretty typical. Using a flash will really help a lot. A normal flash, often used off-camera with a cord or wireless to avoid lens shadowing, will give higher contrast with shadows. Using a a ring flash that mounts to the front of the lens will give super even lighting. The choice is dependent on personal preference.

For non tripod work, I usually leave it manual focus and practice hitting the shutter as the focus plane crosses where I want as my body sways. Using focus peaking can really help as well.

Great tips Rick. I will practice shooting in burst. A7rii is a bit slow for this though.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gaurav
My photos at: https://500px.com/aryalgaurav
www.instagram.com/ggauravaryal

aryalg's gear list:aryalg's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow