Way to use NIK non-destructively with GIMP or other?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ssepan1
ssepan1 Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Way to use NIK non-destructively with GIMP or other?

billmcl wrote:

Interesting! I guess the question is now, can you send that back into NIK and undo/alter the changes you made??

tldr; Undo=No, Alter=eh, not the way you think; the sliders are back to default.

As @zippski echoed separately, you can go into the PS and remove or replace that change (in PSE17 by removing / replacing that layer created by Nik).

Note that in PSE, unlike adjustment layers, you can take that Nik-created layer and invoke Nik with it.

However, you should also be aware that doing so is just creating a new edit / layer. So, if you select a layer created  by a trip out to Nik Silver Efex, and then select Nik Silver Efex again, you are not getting the settings as you left them last time, to tweak or undo. You are doing a totally new edit in Nik with the last one as a starting point. (This is consistent with the way that I have experienced the free Nik tools in the past, so it is no surprise to me.)

Steve S

ssepan1's gear list:ssepan1's gear list
Canon G1 X II Nikon D1H Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow