Speculating on the Canon roadmap....

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rxb dc Senior Member • Posts: 2,037
Speculating on the Canon roadmap....

From what I can tell, there are three major gaps today in Canon products (including the R):

1. Sensor Readout speeds which probably is affecting both 4K (crop) and AF in servo mode. Remains unclear if this is business choice or a technology limitation. My money is that this is a business choice as I cannot imagine that Fuji or Panasonic can invest and make a better sensor than Canon (Sony has more scale so they have some advantages)

2. IBIS, which I believe Canon will address in the next cycle; it just does not seem to be a big deal considering everyone except Canon has the technology.

3, Processing Speed (Digic) - this is probably the easiest to address, and the next iteration of more upscale bodies will either have a newer faster processor (Digic 9) or dual Digica 8s.

Roadmap: My speculation is that Canon will evolve the R much like it did with the M series, and we will get the R5r in 2019 (high res, with IBIS, crop 4k) to address the landscape market  and  R6 (mark ii of the R) in late 2020, with IBIS and no-crop 4k). I don't think we will see a 6D3 or a 5DSr ii.

The M line up is filling up quickly  with the M5/M6 taking the place of the enthusiast line (80D) and the M50/M100 in the mid-entry level (77D slot). We will probably get IBIS in mark ii, and no-crop 4k in mark iii of these cameras.

The real question is what will Canon do with their more sports/professional series- 7Dx, 5Dx and 1Dx. My feeling is that we will get at least one more iteration of those in the DSLR form factor, especially for 7Dx which getting a bit long in tooth.The AF needs will be too much for ML. The 7Diii DSLR (2019) will probably have dual Digic 8, a little more FPS, better AF, maybe no-crop 4k, touch screen etc.

It will be an open question to see what Canon does with 5D4. It is a multi faceted, workhorse camera and I suspect that mirrorless AF is not quite there yet. I am going to guess that we will get a 5D4ii DSLR in 2019 with no-crop 4k with a proper encoder and IBIS in 2019.  If they wait till 2020, we will probably not get a DSLR but just an R5 with non crop 4k and IBIS.

The 1DXiii will also likely be a DSLR for 2020 Olmpics as it seems very risky to go with MILC 1Dx  in that timeframe. However, I am sure Sony has A9ii in the wings, ready for 2020 so Canon will face significant pressure on that front. My money is still on a DSLR version for the 2020 olympics  - the last DSLR.

Thoughts welome !

-- hide signature --

https://500px.com/rbhardvaj
https://www.instagram.com/rxbdc/
Safety Warning: Bad taste unmitigated by moderate skill
Disclaimer: I reserve the right to take bad photographs with any camera, irregardless of DXOmark scores.

rxb dc's gear list:rxb dc's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +9 more
Canon EOS 5DS R Ricoh Caplio R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow