A quick user experience Panasonic G9 review

Started 11 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eno2 Regular Member • Posts: 159
A quick user experience Panasonic G9 review

I just received the Panasonic G9 that I've preorderd some time ago.

It's hack of a camera!

The first impression was, WOW this stays so good in the hand that I don't what to let it go. Leaving th jokes aside, I think it has the best ergonomy I've ever laid my hand on, period!

Then I looked through the viewfinder: WOW again! This is huuuge (an cinema like experience). It's sharp from center to the corners, very bright, with very accurate colors and great resolution. I also couldn't spot the dots, so it's life like.

Then I tried to take the first image with my Leica Noctocron: WOW for the third time! It has a blazing fast AF. It's hard to tell how fast it is, course it's that fast.

Image quality it's like expected: to my taste up until ISO 3200 very god and ISO 6400 good. In utter emergency I'd maximum go until ISO 12800.The JPG quality is fantastic and I will definitely use this camera in RAW + JPG mode, for best quality and convenience.

Being able to test the camera myself I've found that Panasonic utilizes NR even in RAW files. Interestingly the best results I've got (in RAW) with -5 setting for NR (so minimum NR in the camera). At -5 NR, the noise structure is the most granular and by going up in the NR values I could spot small blotchiness of the pixels and a magenta cast in the deep shadows, which is not present at -5 NR setting.

My real life measurement found a maximum of 2 and 2/3 DR stops in the highlights and 5 DR stops in the shadows, besides the usual 8 DR stops in the corrected exposed image. Resulting in a 15,6 total DR stops. For my taste I would call a 4 stops of shadows DR very usable and above 2 DR stops in the highlights, a little bit over 14 very usable stops of DR. The measurements where done at ISO 100.

OBS: I did not measure the DR as DXO does. I simply underexposed one stop after another then recovered the shadows in post. The same in highlights but with more precision after 2 full stops of overexpose (in 1/3 to 1/3 increments) + the default 8 stops found in the correct exposed image.

The video quality is beyond expectations. The 4K is very detailed, with great colors and nice DR. Up until ISO 3200 It's hard to spot the noise and at ISO 6400 you see it but it's low. I can definitely use this camera up until ISO 6400 (included) without any worries in the noise department. The maximum ISO I would use is 10.000 cause at maximum 12800 value I see some color shifts which I tend to avoid.

Stabilization seams to work very well with the Leica Noctocron but I was not so interested in finding it's limits, yet.

In short, the Panasonic G9 is a great pleasure to use.

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Nov 8, 2017
eno2's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow