Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Questions thread
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: Any Advantage to Full Frame?

5th street wrote:

I use a D90 and am considering a D7100 or D5300 or D610. If I understand things correctly, there is no advantage at all, for my use (noise in low light is not a concern to me), of a D610 over the two DX choices. The disadvantages of the D610 include a narrower depth of field (all things being equal), higher cost for camera, higher cost for lenses, more weight and larger size. Surely, I must be overlooking or wrong about something given the increasing popularity of full frame. Where am I wrong in my thinking?

If you ever shot with a 35 mm film based camera you would understand better what full frame means.

It was not until digital began to improve and grow where we get all of these other types of formats.

In the film world 35 mm film was the 1" sensor of its day compared to medium and various other larger formats that used larger (physically) larger types of film.

The idea is all the same whether you shoot a p&s camera or Full Frame or larger (medium format) is how much detail can you get and when you begin to crop the image how much detail are you left with.

Just talking about the sensor size here.

Now with interchangeable lens cameras from Micro Four Thirds, Fuji X which is the same sensor size as Nikon D7100 for example you start looking at what the system as to offer from lenses to accessories based on what you expect the camera to do for you (specifically)

The lens itself is matched to the sensor of the camera to give you the whole area of the scene. Larger sensor larger lenses and more glass means more weight in that lens.

You can drive a Honda or BMW they do the same things, you can have a 4 or 6 cylinder engine and they do the same things. In each case one may do it better and faster. One type of car/engine costs more than the other, but again they do the same end function.

All you really need to make a photo quality 8x10 print is a Three (3) megapixel camera and that was reached a decade ago or so.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow