What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ZinMe Contributing Member • Posts: 771
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

tommiejeep wrote:

Next week I will be trying the D610. The 39 pts is not a problem for the way I shoot soccer and the 24 MP is a big improvement for cropping. I have shot the D610 for BIF and think it is slightly faster and more positive than the D7100. I'll shoot it against the D700 and see.

Let us know how it goes with the D610.   I am thinking about making that change as well.  I shoot a D300 with a 300mm 2.8 VRI for sports.   I think I could trade my 300mmf2.8 for a used 200-400mm f4 + a little cash, which would address the reach issue of going to FX, and even though I'd be a stop slower at f4, the D610 would still be much better at high ISO and I think I can live with the AF and lower burst.  I find that I shoot my D300 for sports using only the 9 central AF points, because otherwise the system doesn't keep up with movement well enough as I use very shallow DOF to blur the crappy backgrounds associated with most playing fields.   My understanding is the D610 AF is fast and accurate provided you don't need the larger coverage area.  The D610 also has the benefit of being useful for general photography not just sports when you don't want to lug a pro-body around.  6fps is not bad either.   Let us know how it goes.

ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow