Organizing your photos - software used, best methods and categories

Started Jun 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
v steffel Senior Member • Posts: 1,276
QImage & FastStone - Re: Organizing your photos - software used, best methods and categories

I organize my photos in folders and sub-folders by year, month, and date.  If a subfolder has a special topic, title, etc., then I rename that sub-folder by adding at the end of the date the information.

I transfer the photos from my cards to hard drive using QImage Ultra.  This automatically adds a year, month, and date to the photo and retains camera model and shot number.  Qimage provides flexibility in labeling each file.

Then I use FastStone to view my photos.  I can also reorganize files and folders using FastStone.  I can create folders, copy images to new folder to PP images and leave the originals in tact.  FastStone  provides a lot of flexibility.

I also back up the files to external hard drives.

I should add that I partitioned my C: drive and the new partition is reserved for photos only.

I could provide a ScreenShot of organization via FastStone or of the Drive.

I will add, that there is much good information in this thread on organization:  both on preferred programs and on hard drive folder structure.

I learned a long time ago not to use PSElements Organizer and disable it totally because it is unnecessary overhead and slows everything down.  I also learned not to depend on Lightroom because I lost folders.  If I had only a few photos, then these solutions might be useful.

One more item:  Organizing scanned film is another story because the images are created differently and so they are organized by topics in folders and sub-folders.

Best,

-- hide signature --

v steffel
frame frame! shoot shoot! sauvette!

v steffel's gear list:v steffel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow