Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838
Re: get both

I said devices like the Atrix, not the Atrix. By that I meant the docking onto another device. Nothing limits the resolution, as just as your computer can output to a external screen at its native resolution, so can a phone. I've got a N8 right here that outputs a HD interface to my beamer.

And as well, nothing limits the form factor. You can have a laptop, a tablet, a car dock, what ever. It can be as good as any size, and form and any aspect ratio. The only thing you need is a port that transfers a image, data and command signal, as well as power. Already everything for instance the iPad 2 connector does. You can have a touchscreen, external storage, everything is supported by the connector.

The Atrix is only the first product out the door, and flawed as such. But especially now with the launch of Android Gingerbread with a tablet interface you can have one device, with two modes.

T3 wrote:

There are a number of problems with the Atrix setup that make it far inferior to an iPad, at least for the photographer

1. The Atrix big screen dock merely upscales the phone's 940 x 540 resolution to fit the larger screen. This means inferior image quality and sharpness.

2. Laptop form factor. The beauty of the tablet form factor is that it's easy to hold in your hand, like a clipboard, without a keyboard in the way. This is great if you're standing and walking around. For example, on shoots I typically have my iPad so I can walk up to my models, show them a couple of images on the iPad to give them an idea of what poses or looks we should go for, all while holding the iPad in the same way I would hold a clipboard. Plus, when meeting with clients, it's easy to hand an iPad to them. This makes a much more engaging viewing experience, rather than sitting in front of a keyboard, at a desk or table. With an iPad, you can always add a keyboard, but with an Atrix dock you can't remove the keyboard.

3. Widescreen laptop format. Widescreen laptop formats are fine for landscape-orientation images, but they are terrible for portrait-orientation images. With an iPad, you can just turn it to portrait orientation and get a tall portrait-orientation image. You can't do this with an Atrix dock.

4. Small storage capacity. The Atrix dock has no storage of its own, so you are entirely dependent on the storage capacity of your phone.

5. No touch interface. One of the most appealing aspects of tablet devices is their touch interface and orientation-sensing capabilities. (The same with smart phones.) The Atrix dock has neither of these things. Once you start using a tablet form factor, you quickly realize the advantages of a touch interface. Sure, for heavy typing, a physical keyboard is still superior, but a touch interface for just about everything else is just excellent. No need to have an external mouse, no need to use a tiny track pad, and a touch interface can be used without being confined to a seated or desktop position.

6. Limited apps support. The Atrix dock runs Ubuntu. I just don't see any apps being designed for this platform. Certainly nothing compared to the considerable number of apps being designed for the iPad. If you want to get just a glimpse of the photography-related apps for the iPad, just check AdoramaTV's Youtube page which does an "app of the week" video:

Can we expect a similar selection and quality of photography-related apps being designed for the Atrix-Ubuntu platform? Probably not!

Keep in mind that one of the major strengths of any platform is its software support. That's what is so strong about the iPad. TONS of apps to choose from, with new and better ones being added all the time...because that's where all the users are. I just don't see this Atrix-Ubuntu platform generating as much interest, either with the consumers or with the developers. Practically every developer wants to be on the iPad. I don't see many developers wanting to be on the Atrix.

7. Will it survive? I don't see this product being hugely popular. Tablets are already cutting into laptop and netbook sales. This Atrix is neither a tablet, nor a laptop, nor a netbook. It's a strange oddity, and I don't see it getting much traction in the market.

I think the Atrix set-up is probably really nice for the traveling business person. But not for photographers.

And by the way, it's clear that you've never used an iPad if you think there is "so much overlap" between a cell phone and an iPad. Just the much larger touch screen allows so many more possibilities with the iPad. I have both an iPad and a Droid X cell phone. And while there are overlaps in what they do, after living with my Droid X and iPad for several months now, I'm actually surprised at how distinct their uses are from each other.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow