Re: Just posted: Apple iPad 2: Tool or Toy?

Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838
Re: get both

The thing is, there's tablet computers, and the modern day ARM based phone-esque tablets. And you'll have to really consider your needs when going with a ARM based tablet to be sure you're willing to sacrifice all that computing power, software-support, calibration and connectivity just for half a kilo in weight, less than one centimeter in thickness and a couple of hours of battery life.

T3 wrote:

Why can't a serious photographer get both? A laptop has its advantages, and an iPad has its advantages.

For example, I have a 17" Windows laptop, a 13" Windows laptop, and an iPad (all of which can be seen below). Each has value to me. But I can definitely tell you this: when I am out and about, or meeting with clients, or on a shoot, the only thing I take with me is my iPad...not my laptops.

Also, the thing about these smaller laptops with their widescreens is that while images may look nice in landscape orientation, images look way too small when they are portrait orientation images! With an iPad, you can turn it to portrait orientation, which means portraits can be viewed with a vertical height of 8 inches, which is much taller than what you're going to get with that Thinkpad. That makes a big difference when you're meeting with clients.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow