D300 Focus Observations Post Firmware 1.1

Started Nov 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim Fenton Veteran Member • Posts: 4,432
D300 Focus Observations Post Firmware 1.1

After shooting all day yesterday, my observations are pretty much cast in place.

A) Acquisition is faster and more precise at achieving initial lock, even when using a TC on my 500. I didn't once experience the slow hunting when trying to obtain initial lock that I've been frustrated with when using TC's on my 500 VR.

B) Focus accuracy has not changed / improved for BIF shooting which I do a lot of. It is interesting to note that accuracy is higher when shooting subjects flying against a background vs those which are in the air. Haven't got a clue as to why but it's a continuation of something Iliah, jmyself and others noted when the D300 first came out. I'm not saying that focus accuracy in the sky is horrible....just not as good as other situations.

C) 21 point is now more exacting than the 51 pt (non 3D) I had been using previously and it's a noticeable difference. 51 point now yields some unexpected focus points which I always thought would be the case, especially when photographing birds flying along the water and there is any type of wave present in the background. It simply is now more apparent, at least on my camera as 21 point seems to be better than it was previously.

In short.....I've seen a definite improvement in acquisition speed, nothing overly noticeable in accuracy or tracking but as I though both of those worked well previously, it wasn't really expected.

These are simply my observations and yours may certainly vary.
--
Jim Fenton
My Wildlife Images at:
http://www.pbase.com/soonipi1957

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow