Detailed steps for mattes & frames in PS6

Started Apr 8, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dave Jaseck
Dave Jaseck Veteran Member • Posts: 5,986
Detailed steps for mattes & frames in PS6

I took the time to write out the steps I followed to create a matted and framed picture in essentially 2 sections, the matte, the frame. You can stop at the matte and print for your own real framing or continue and add the frame for email or internet. I'd like to thank MHL and Brian for the tips and information they provided in the past. I hope this helps those on this forum that might have an interest in this process. I know there are other ways of doing this, but this is where I am at present and I've learned alot getting to this point. I always welcome and appreciate suggestions and improvements..Dave
http://www.pbase.com/davidjaseck/photorestoration

This is done in PS6...

OK..Lets us use the hypothetical of a 5"X7" picture @100 ppi that you want on a 8"X10"matte.

1. Open image in PS6. Before you do anything else, double click background copy in the layers pallet and rename “Photo”

2. Select > all. Go to Edit> stroke, 2 pixels in black

4. Make duplicate layer.

5 Go to Layer> layer style> innershadow add 5 pixel distance and size. You can adjust these to your own taste later. Important, keep the angle on everything at 120 degrees

6. Make new layer, title it “First Matte”. Drag it to the bottom of the layers pallet. Go to Image> canvas size. Add .5 to both the width and height of this layer. Click OK.

7. Go to Select> select all. Go to Edit> stroke. Add 2 pixel black stroke to the “First Matte” layer. At this point select a color for the first matte. Try a medium color for this exercise.

8. Still on the “First Matte” layer, go to Layer> layer style> bevel and emboss. Style “Inner bevel”, 7 or 8 pixel size, click the "down" button. Make sure angle is always 120 degrees. You can add a texture to the 2 mattes any time you choose.

9. Make new layer, title it “Second Matte”. Drag it to the bottom of the layers pallette. Go to Image> canvas size and resize to 8”X10”. Click ok.

10. Select a complimentary color and add with Paint Bucket. Add texture if desired.

OK, at this point you should have a finished matted picture. You can save and keep all the layers in this picture for future changes.

Now for the frame:

11. Make a new layer. Title it “Frame” and drag it to the bottom of the layers pallette. Go to Image> canvas size and resize the “Frame” layer. Add 1 additional percent to the short side. For example, Landscape - width 104%, height 105%, Portrait - Width 105%, Height 104%. Fill using paint bucket with color of your choice. (Got this from MHL, Thanks, don't know why it works this way, but hey!)

12. Go to Layer, layer style> inner shadow - add. Go the bevel and emboss, select “outer bevel” and click the down button.

13. Activate the “Frame” layer, Go to Layer> layer style> bevel & emboss. Select “inner bevel”, click the “up” button. You might at this time stroke the frame with a 2 pixel black stroke

At this point you should have a matted picture with a frame. Lets put a background under it.

14. Make a new layer, title it “White Back” and drag it to the bottom of the layers pallette.

15. Go to Edit> canvas size and resize to 120% on both height and width.

16. Fill white color with paint bucket.

17. Go to “Frame” layer, activate, go to Layer> layer style> drop shadow. Set to distance 50 pixels, size 50 pixels.

That’s about it folks. Remember, keep the angel at 120 degrees (unclick the "global light". Hope I didn’t forget somethingl..Dave

davidjaseck/photorestoration

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Don
RPK
mik
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow