Video: 10 Lightroom features you may not know about
No matter how well you think you know Adobe Lightroom, this video probably still has something to teach you about Adobe's photo editing and digital asset management program.
In the video, photographer and YouTuber Jamie Windsor spends twelve minutes looking at 10 "hidden" Lightroom Classic features you may or may not know about. Some are a bit more common-knowledge than the others, but odds are you'll find at least one feature you didn't know existed.
Check out the video above for a full rundown, or keep reading for a quick synopsis of all 10 tips:
- Sharing online - Using an integrated share function, you can easily share an album of your images online, where people can favorite and even comment on your photos.
- Getting good color - Hidden inside the develop dialog is a little color calibration tool. Adobe recently updated this tool, but the tip still stands and proves even more useful.
- Change preset opacity - This tip needs a plugin (The Fader), so it's not directly integrated into Lightroom. But the tool is free to download. Once installed, you can choose how strong any presets are that you've installed.
- Targeted adjustment tool - Rather than using HSL sliders, the targeted adjustment tool lets you adjust the variables in a specific area with minimal affect on the rest of the image.
- Auto exposures match - This one is pure magic. Take a batch of photos with varying exposures, edit one how you want, and select the auto exposure match tool in the menu. Boom. The photos will look like they were shot with exactly the same settings. Great for wedding and even sports photography.
- Faster image rating - Rather than using the arrow keys and pressing numbers, simply press caps lock on your keyboard. Now, after you press a number it will automatically advance to the next image.
- Selective auto settings - If you hold shift and double-click the slider on an adjustment, Lightroom will automatically give you what it believes to be the proper setup.
- Edit local adjustment tools - Does that gradient filter overlay you just applied affect the subject of your image? Don't fret. Simply click on the brush tool and use the erase function to selectively remove the are of the gradient you don't want.
- Increased slider size - Drag out your adjustment tools to get more accurate edits (in case you didn't know, you can also hold shift while moving a slider to make it more precise)
- Alt precision views - Holding the Alt key will more precisely show you what edits are being made—great for sharpening and exposure tools.
These tips apply to Adobe Lightroom Classic CC. If you're using the new cloud-based Lightroom CC, a few of them will translate over, but not all, so play around a bit and see what you find. And if you found these tips useful, you can check out more of Windsor's videos on his YouTube channel.
|_ERN9064 by ernesto juarez|
from Shoot yourself ! (with your camera)
|walkersons fields by George Veltchev|
from -Waiting for Autumn- (in Full Colours Only)
Nikon's Sendai factory in the Tōhoku region North of Japan has been churning out cameras and lenses since 1971. We had the opportunity recently to visit Sendai during events to mark the launch of Nikon's new Z mount.
There's no mistaking the Nikon Coolpix P1000 – with a 24-3000mm equivalent zoom, it really is in a class of its own. It's a conspicuous-looking superzoom with one main job: getting you really close to far away subjects. We've put together a gallery showing the kind of results you can expect from it.
A new report from The Verge claims Instagram is currently testing a feature that allows users to re-share posts to their own account feeds.
GoPro has announced its HERO7 camera lineup. The updated action cameras feature new HyperSmooth and TimeWarp modes, as well as improved video and photo specs.
The latest Samsung midrange smartphone offers a super-wide-angle lens in its triple-camera setup.
The Sony 24mm F1.4 is the latest lens to join the company's premium G Master lineup. We've been shooting with one for a couple of days - here's what you need to know.
Apple released iOS 12 a few days ago and some iPhone X users are less than happy with how the new operating system has made their phones look.
Camera bag manufacturer Lowepro has introduced mark II backpacks for its ProTactic AW range with models that are said to feature an improved handling experience as well as a collection of accessories that can be attached to the outside.
Canon has announced its latest superzoom camera, the PowerShot SX70 HS. Compared to the SX60 that came before it, the SX70 has the same lens but offers a higher resolution EVF, 4K video capture and support for Canon's new CR3 Raw format.
Cosina has announced its eighth lens designed specifically for Sony's E-mount system. The Voigtlander 21mm F3.5 lens is due out October 2018.
Sony has taken the wraps off of its new 24mm F1.4 GM full-frame lens, which the company claims is the lightest in its class. Despite its fast aperture, the 24mm F1.4 is remarkably light, weighing just 445 grams (15.7 ounces). The lens will set you back $1400 when it ships next month.
In this episode of DPReview TV we take a look at Sony's brand new 24mm F1.4 GM lens, a desirable focal length for many photographers. How does it perform? Chris and Jordan give us their first impressions.
We've had a little time to shoot with Sony's new wide/fast prime, both close to home and on the water in San Francisco. Check out our initial sample images.
Fujifilm released a firmware upgrade for its X-T3 mirrorless camera that addresses issues with distortion compensation and the mechanical lock on SD cards.
The app's algorithms have been trained using using 200 million cropping data points from real photographers.
Thanks to a software update, the Loupedeck+ editing console can now be used for video editing.
British photographic engineer MTF Services is claiming the world’s first third-party lens adapters for the new Nikon Z system with a collection of four units designed to allow cinema lenses to be mounted on the mirrorless full frame bodies.
Think Tank Photo has updated its line of heavy-duty rain covers and introduced a new, compact version for emergency situations.
The X-T3 is our first opportunity to analyze what's likely to be Fujifilm's next generation image sensor. Take a look at how it performs next to the competition in our studio test scene.
Canon's new normal is seriously sharp wide open. After shooting with it for a few days, we've prepared a gallery of real-world sample images.
Nikon will cease offering Brazil-based customer service and technical support, though the company stresses that it will still offer technical assistance and warranty repairs for valid warranties.
Two years ago, CatLABS of JP announced a plan to save Packfilm from the dead. Now, it's announced it's giving up its efforts to better focus its resources elsewhere.
The GoPro Fusion is designed to make it easy to capture 360-degree video and stills. We took it out recently on a typically hot Seattle summer day to see what it can do.
We've got our hands on a full-production Nikon Z7 camera and have updated our gallery with additional samples.
A new Kickstarter campaign seeks funding for Chroma Chrono, a programmable RGB camera flash that emits multiple colors during long exposures.
Think Tank Photo has launched a new lineup of six dual-access, water-resistant protective lens cases it calls Lens Case Duo.
Canon and Nikon finally entered the full-frame mirrorless market this summer with the brand-new RF and Z mounts. Now that we've had some time with the cameras, we wanted to revisit our earlier predictions and take stock.
The devices' camera specs look pretty much identical to last year's iPhone X but under the hood a number of important improvements have been made.
Blackmagic Design has announced the public beta of its new Blackmagic RAW video codec. The company says the new format combines the benefits of shooting Raw video with the ease of use and smaller file sizes usually associated with non-Raw video files.
Serif, the company behind the Affinity suite, has announced the latest update for its mobile Photoshop competitor Affinity Photo for iPad.