Video: 10 Lightroom features you may not know about
No matter how well you think you know Adobe Lightroom, this video probably still has something to teach you about Adobe's photo editing and digital asset management program.
In the video, photographer and YouTuber Jamie Windsor spends twelve minutes looking at 10 "hidden" Lightroom Classic features you may or may not know about. Some are a bit more common-knowledge than the others, but odds are you'll find at least one feature you didn't know existed.
Check out the video above for a full rundown, or keep reading for a quick synopsis of all 10 tips:
- Sharing online - Using an integrated share function, you can easily share an album of your images online, where people can favorite and even comment on your photos.
- Getting good color - Hidden inside the develop dialog is a little color calibration tool. Adobe recently updated this tool, but the tip still stands and proves even more useful.
- Change preset opacity - This tip needs a plugin (The Fader), so it's not directly integrated into Lightroom. But the tool is free to download. Once installed, you can choose how strong any presets are that you've installed.
- Targeted adjustment tool - Rather than using HSL sliders, the targeted adjustment tool lets you adjust the variables in a specific area with minimal affect on the rest of the image.
- Auto exposures match - This one is pure magic. Take a batch of photos with varying exposures, edit one how you want, and select the auto exposure match tool in the menu. Boom. The photos will look like they were shot with exactly the same settings. Great for wedding and even sports photography.
- Faster image rating - Rather than using the arrow keys and pressing numbers, simply press caps lock on your keyboard. Now, after you press a number it will automatically advance to the next image.
- Selective auto settings - If you hold shift and double-click the slider on an adjustment, Lightroom will automatically give you what it believes to be the proper setup.
- Edit local adjustment tools - Does that gradient filter overlay you just applied affect the subject of your image? Don't fret. Simply click on the brush tool and use the erase function to selectively remove the are of the gradient you don't want.
- Increased slider size - Drag out your adjustment tools to get more accurate edits (in case you didn't know, you can also hold shift while moving a slider to make it more precise)
- Alt precision views - Holding the Alt key will more precisely show you what edits are being made—great for sharpening and exposure tools.
These tips apply to Adobe Lightroom Classic CC. If you're using the new cloud-based Lightroom CC, a few of them will translate over, but not all, so play around a bit and see what you find. And if you found these tips useful, you can check out more of Windsor's videos on his YouTube channel.
|arctic ocean polar bears above svalbard by summicron|
|Skullery by gordonpritchard|
from Album cover for a heavy metal band
|Fairey Swordfish MK ii by APenza|
from Seven types of aircraft - biplanes, triplanes, etc
Alex and Kathryn are photographers, friends and Tokyo residents who love exploring Japan's hidden cultural treasures. They each brought a Canon EOS M50 on a recent trip starting in bustling Tokyo and ending in the peaceful riverside town of Gujo Hachiman.
The triple-camera in Samsung's 2019 Galaxy S10 smartphone is expected to use three sensors with varying pixel counts.
Net SE, the parent company behind the likes of Oprema Jena, Meyer Optik Görlitz, Emil Busch, C.P. Goerz, Ihagee and A. Schacht products has filed for bankruptcy and removed itself from the German stock exchange.
Canon's latest 70-200mm F4L comes with a five stops of image stabilization, a new coat of paint and impressive sharpness. We've been shooting with our copy for several weeks now - see how it stacks up in our sample gallery.
Special 4K and 6K Photo modes may be one of the most under-appreciated features on recent cameras. In this week's episode, Chris and Jordan take a closer look at these modes and explain why – and when – you'll be glad to have them on your camera.
Ten years ago this month Panasonic and Olympus announced a new concept called Micro Four Thirds. We're now on the brink of full-frame mirrorless from at least one major player, so perhaps it's a good time to take a look back at where it all started – and how far we've come.
Ted Forbes of The Art of Photography breaks down five 'hacks' for organizing your camera equipment.
The City of Redding has published a series of aerial images showing the devastation caused by the ongoing Carr Fire in Shasta County, California.
Sigma full-frame Art lenses are finally available in Sony E-mount. Here's how the 85mm F1.4 Art looks on an a7R III and a7 III.
Sigma is now shipping the FE versions of its 14mm F1.8 DG HSM, 70mm F2.8 DG MACRO, and 135mm F1.8 DG HSM Art lenses that were announced in February.
We got some quick hands-on time with Samsung's newest, biggest Galaxy smartphone at the company's launch event. Here are the most noteworthy camera features we uncovered.
Leica has released the Elpro 52, a close-up lens adapter that works 3with more than 20 Leica M and TL lenses.
Nikon has released yet another teaser video for its full-frame mirrorless camera set to be announced August 23rd.
At a high-profile launch event in New York, Samsung took the wraps off its next Note device. The Galaxy Note 9 borrows the S9+'s 12MP dual-aperture dual-cam, with OIS in both cameras and an emphasis on AI-enhanced shooting modes.
One of the most keenly-awaited lenses for a while, the new Pentax D FA* 50mm F1.4 is finally here, and we've been using it for a few days. In this article, we're updating our initial impressions on the basis of our recent shooting with the K-1 II.
AirSelfie2 boasts longer flight times, a higher resolution camera and more built-in memory than its predecessor.
In 2016, Samsung launched a prohibitively expensive 4TB SSD. This week it revealed that it has started mass producing a less expensive variant.
At max speed, the Epson FastFoto FF-680W can scan a photo every second at 300dpi.
Lighting manufacturer Cactus has officially launched its RQ250 bare bulb wireless TTL flash unit on the Kickstarter crowd funding website, and says it will be ready for delivery in October.
Lensbaby's Sol 45 fixed-aperture selective focus lens is aimed squarely at photographers new to the manual, in-camera creative effects possible with Lensbaby's lineup. We took it out for a spin.
Android 9, also known as 'Pie,' will add support for the HEIF image format and will allow third-party app developers to access multiple camera streams simultaneously.
DJI has partnered with messaging app Line to launch a special-edition version of its Spark drone that's made to look like an adorable little character affectionately referred to as Brown the bear.
We all know what ISO means, or do we? The truth is that ISO probably doesn’t mean what you think it does, and it might be holding you back from getting the most out of your camera.
Tamron has introduced the 17-35mm F2.8-4 Di OSD zoom lens for full-frame Canon and Nikon bodies. This compact lens is weather-sealed, features a minimum focus distance of 28cm (11") and uses an 'Optimized Silent Drive' AF motor.
This week we take a look at one of the most unusual optics we've seen for quite a while. The Laowa 24mm F14 Macro Probe lens may look like something out of a science fiction movie, but as Chris and Jordan discover, it opens the door to some pretty cool photo opportunities.
Wildlife and landscape photographer Erez Marom has been to Namibia several times, but nothing could prepare him for the conditions he witnessed on his most recent visit.
Like most printers of this type, the Zoemini uses ZINK printing technology, where the ink is stored in water- and tear-resistant 2” x 3” photo paper.
A 5G module for the Z3 will be available next year, allowing you to send and receive data at next-generation speeds.
GoPro has revealed its Q2 2018 financial results, boasting a massive 40% quarter-over-quarter revenue increase to $283 million and net loss of $32 million, which the company says is a 51% sequential improvement.
Moment has released an update for its Moment Pro camera app that gives Pixel 2 smartphone owners access to the same HDR+ shooting mode available in the Google Camera app.