Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Review
The DSLR-A900 is provided with a software CD which contains:
- Picture Motion Browser 3.2.01 (Windows) - An easy to use and fast image and video clip
cataloging and browsing application with a fairly unique calendar based animated interface.
- Image Data Lightbox SR 2.0 (Windows / Mac OS X) - An image browsing and workflow
application designed for rating and selecting images from a large collection. Provides synchronized
side-by-side comparison of images in 2, 3 and 4 images per screen views.
- Image Data Converter SR 3.0 (Windows / Mac OS X) - A further development of the previously
seen Image Data Converter SR, provides advanced RAW conversion capabilities, adjustments
include Creative Style, Sharpness (including overshoot / undershoot tuning), Highlight Color
Distortion reduction, vignetting control and Noise Reduction.
- Remote Camera Control 2.0 (Windows / Mac OS X) - A relatively simple but usable - and very fast - program to control a camera attached via USB. Gives control over most the the camera's basic settings and allows remote capture and transfer of captured images to a directory of you choice.
|Image Data Converter SR||Remote Camera Control|
|Image Data Lightbox|
Although the supplied software package is actually pretty comprehensive, we found that the latest versions of both Image Data Lightbox and Image Data Converter are still very slow indeed and are simply no match for Adobe Bridge CS4 and Adobe Camera Raw.
As is normal in our digital SLR reviews I like to compare the supplied RAW conversion software, any optional manufacturer RAW conversion software and some third party RAW converter. In the case of the A900 we had the supplied Image Data Converter SR as well as Adobe Camera RAW 5.2 Beta
- JPEG - Large/Fine, Default settings
- IDC - Image Data Converter SR 3.0
- ACR - Adobe Camera RAW 4.6 and 5.2 Beta
Place your mouse over the label below the image to see the color from a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker chart produced using each RAW converter. As you can see Image Data Converter matches the color response of the cameras internal image processor very closely (there are some very subtle differences but it's unlikely you'd see these in real life). As usual Adobe Camera RAW has its own 'different' color response, deeper blues but slightly paler reds.
|Sony DSLR-A900||Compare to:|
Sharpness and Detail
As you can see from the 100% crops below a large part of the difference between the three comes down to sharpening, with Sony's Image Data Converter applying the highest level by default.
The differences between these three are pretty obvious, and stark. The JPEG from the camera demonstrates good detail beyond absolute resolution which would mean good representation of texture and distant detail. Adobe Camera RAW (as usual) delivers slightly higher per pixel sharpness and resolution with no obvious sharpening artefacts (halos). The biggest disappointment however is the output from Image Data Converter which produced a large amount of moire as well as blurring all the highest frequencies.
|JPEG from camera||Image Data Converter SR (RAW)|
|Adobe Camera RAW 4.6 (RAW)|
- 20 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 21 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 22 Photographic tests (Noise)
- 23 Photograpic tests (DR)
- 24 Photograpic tests (DR)
- 25 Photograpic tests (Fall off)
- 26 Photographic tests
- 27 Compared to...
- 28 Compared to (JPEG)
- 29 Compared to (JPEG)
- 30 Compared to (JPEG)
- 31 Compared to (RAW)
- 32 Compared to (RAW)
- 33 Compared to (RAW)
- 34 Compared to (High ISO)
- 35 Compared to (Resolution)
- 36 Conclusion
- 37 Samples
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|Windswept juniper by Kreber|
from Wind power
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4