Olympus E-500 EVOLT Review
The E-500 has a fairly comprehensive range of image parameter adjustment, five levels for each of contrast, saturation and sharpness. Plus the E-500 now features five preset 'Picture modes'.
In addition to the normal adjustments (contrast, saturation, sharpness) the E-500 now features five preset 'picture modes'. The first three presets (vivid, natural, muted) essentially differ only by color saturation and sharpness settings. The last two are for black and white output. Each preset equates to the following settings (approximately, this isn't documented):
Hence using mode 'Natural' with a sharpness of +1 should produce approximately the same output as the E-300.
Place your mouse over the label to see a ColorChecker chart shot in each picture mode.
Image parameter adjustments
- Picture Mode: Vivid, Natural, Muted, Monotone, Sepia
- Gradation: Low Key, Normal, High Key #
- Contrast: -2, -1, 0, +1, +2
- Saturation: -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 #
- Sharpness: -2, -1, 0, +1, +2
- Monotone filter: Neutral, Yellow, Orange, Red, Green *
- Monotone tint: Neutral, Sepia, Blue, Purple, Green *
* Only available in Monotone and Sepia modes
# Not available in Monotone and Sepia modes
The E-500 features a the same 'gradation' setting as the E-300. It provides the ability to change the brightness of the image to either low key, normal and high key. (Picture mode Natural used for these samples).
Adjusting the tone alters the shape of the 'S curve' used to map the linear image data captured by the sensor into the correct gamma. A lower contrast setting maintains more of the original data's dynamic range but leads to a flatter looking image. A higher contrast setting stretches the grayscale (dark to light) of the image and could lead to clipping of both shadow detail and highlights. (Picture mode Natural used for these samples).
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4