Olympus C-7000 / C-70 Zoom Review
The C-7000 provides the widest range of image parameter adjustment of any of our seven megapixel group test. No less than eleven different settings (-5 to +5) for each of the sharpness, saturation and contrast image parameters. Kudos to Olympus for providing the most control over the final look of the output image.
Image parameter adjustments
- Contrast: -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5
- Saturation: -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5
- Sharpness: -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5
Adjusting the tone alters the shape of the curve used to map the linear image data captured by the sensor into the correct gamma. A lower contrast setting maintains more of the original data's dynamic range but leads to a flatter looking image. A higher contrast setting stretches the grayscale (dark to light) of the image and could lead to clipping of both shadow detail and highlights. As you can see from the thumbnails (and histograms) below the C-7000's -5 and +5 are fairly extreme adjustments but can give you a fairly interesting artistic option.
Saturation adjustment allows you to control the strength of color in the final image. The C-7000's wide range of adjustment means you can tune color saturation exactly to your preference, a subtle +1 or +2 setting will give images a little extra punch straight from the camera.
The C-7000's default sharpness gives good crisp looking images straight out of the camera however if your a bit more of a purist and wish to avoid sharpening halos a setting of -1 or -2 will give a good compromise between out of camera sharpness and the visibility of halos.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%