The D60 (like other recent Nikon DSLRs) has six preset 'Image Optimization' (image parameter) settings. These provide the default mapping for color, tone and sharpness for various image 'looks' or shooting situations. In addition you can use the Custom option to change image sharpening, tone (contrast), color mode, color saturation and color hue. Sharpening, Tone and Saturation all have 'Auto' options where the camera selects the best value depending on other camera settings and scene information. According to the user manual Auto mode works best with Type G or D lens.
You can not independently select color space, it is instead tied to the color mode, Ia and IIIa being sRGB, II being Adobe RGB. The D60's default color mode is IIIa which delivers higher overall color saturation and but specifically stronger blues and greens for landscape scenes.
Image parameter adjustments
- Image Optimization presets: Normal, Softer, Vivid, More Vivid, Portrait, B&W, Custom
- Custom image optimizations
- Sharpening: Auto, Normal, Low, Medium low, Medium high, High, None
- Tone: Auto, Normal, Less, Medium low, Medium high, More, Custom
- Color mode: Ia (sRGB), II (Adobe RGB), IIIa (sRGB, for landscapes, default)
- Saturation: Auto, Normal, Moderate, Enhanced
- Hue: -9° to +9
Image Optimization presets
Below are samples of our test scene taken in each of the Image Optimization presets, we've also included a 100% crop from each image so you can see the sharpness level of each preset.
The D60 provides a total of six different sharpening settings, from -2 to +2 as well as None. Our experience with the 'Auto' setting was that it tended to produce results identical to, or very close to 'Normal'. We were quite happy with the 'Normal' (default setting), which is a touch on the conservative side, but produces very clean images with a good level of detail. If you're shooting JPEG for printing and don't want to do any post processing you may prefer to use the Medium high setting (the high setting is a little too strong for anything but the smallest prints due to the visible sharpening halos).
|Medium Low (-1)|
|Medium High (+1)|
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!